Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a pocket 22

Site Supporter

Help me decide on a pocket 22

I'm trying to decide between:

1. Ruger LCR .22
    2. S&W Model 43 C .22

The Ruger is cheaper, easier to find, bigger and heavier. Possibly more reliable

The S&W is more expensive, smaller and lighter, and has the option of Crimson Trace LG-405 grips. Possibly lower quality/reliability.

Either one will be filled with Punch ammo.

Site Supporter
    I have no direct experience with either gun, but I pocket carry daily 5 days/week for 6-7 months/year. For pocket carry, little differences in size make a big difference.

43C for me. Mine's been great, as has my 317 and 351C. Long ago I briefly had one of the early LCR in .22 LR but didn't keep it. Can't recall it having any problems beside the POI being off for some windage which was a PIA.

You might find this interesting.

https://thetacticalprofessor.net/201...aring-the-lcr/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I picked the 43c, but mostly because I have other J Frames and J Frame holsters, so it fits all my kit. The 43c isn't without known issues, though. Mine had to go back to the factory to fix an out-of-the-box timing issue that caused lead to be spat out at me. Since then, it's been pretty good. The trigger is very heavy, as is the LCR's trigger I believe, but the front sight is pretty good (Also replaceable), and grip options are plentiful.

My vote is for the 43c. Even though mine had to go back as the cylinder would lock up, it came back fixed and with an impressively good .22 revolver trigger. Little bit of leading around the forcing cone and barrel crown, which I try to keep on top of. Waxier ammo seems to result in occasional stuck cases so I shoot mostly federal automatch and carry minimags.

The small overall size (compared to an LCR) and big front sight (XS dot) sold me

For me neither. I would go LCP 22lr.
    Between the revolvers the S&W.

Last year I tried out both.
    I went with the Ruger first because I'd bought a 43c in 2016 and it was a disaster requiring 2 trips back to S&W before it would even work. Then it had a miserable trigger and didn't shoot to point of aim and had sticky extraction.
    The Ruger was 100% reliable and shot to POA. The trigger was very heavy, but smooth and even. The problem was that the weight and more importantly, the shape of the trigger irritated my trigger to the point that I had to tape a little curved piece of plastic to my finger. It actually felt like a bone bruise(okay, I'm delicate) and dry practice was out of the question.The gun was also just a bit too big for my pockets, and even a smaller grip didn't help.
    After 1300 rounds I sold it and bought a 43c.
    This one was perfect out of the box. I had read many reports of S&W paying more attention to these and sorting them out in QC, and mine was a good example.
    100% reliable, shoots to POA with a variety of ammo, smooth extraction and best of all, a decent trigger. About like an average J-frame.
    So far I've got over 600 rounds through it.
    Eventually I might have an action smoothing done (because my guy transformed my 442) and experiment with a trigger spring. Claude Werner reports complete reliability and significant lightening from using a standard J-frame spring in place of the rimfire.
    Wolff now makes a reduced power spring for the rimfire, something I believe they've only done in the last couple of years.
    For grips, I've settled on the Precision Gun Specialties "Hideout" grips. They're smooth, not sticky, small, inexpensive at 20 bucks. On a .38, they'll pound your hand but they're perfect on a .22LR.

I bought a used 43C in January. I liked it pretty quickly. I bought it mostly as an understudy for my 642s but also to occasionally carry. My daughter shot it pretty well so I got her one for her birthday last month. We also each have Enigma Express holsters for them. So far they have been reliable.

I pick the 43c for my purposes.

I have both the 43c 22 and the LCR 22. The 43c is slightly lighter and smaller than the LCR. For front pocket carry it makes a big difference.

My 43c seems to be a good one. It has worked well from the beginning except for sticky extraction with some ammo types. I polished the chambers with Scotch Bright pads and I keep the chambers clean. I use Bore Tech C-4 to get the carbon ring out. It is OK now.

The LCR had very sticky extraction when new and I sent it back to Ruger where they replaced the cylinder. It still was a little sticky so I reamed the chambers and it is good now.

I tried a lot of different sights on my 43c and went back to the factory white dot. I also have laser grips on both.

I carry either Velocity or Punch in both.

I have no idea how many rounds I have through them. It's so easy to shoot them.

Tough call, I love my 43c, 351PD, and LCR .22. I am currently thinking about thinning th e heard, but to be honest I have do e this in past and wou d up back here! Lord!

I think th 43 c is no brainer or 351c for pocket. Mine is accurate a 4-5 yrss with feferal buld cooper solids, and blaser. Superlight, ejects easily, reliable, about 690 rounds and only dry toothbrush on star, cyl face, forcing cone.

User Tag List