Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting L Frame

Interesting L Frame

Picked this up over the weekend, Smith 646. First one I can remember seeing in the wild.
    Name:  IMG_1654.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  100.8 KB
    Last edited by vaspence; 05-08-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Picked this up over the weekend, Smith 646. First one I can remember seeing in the wild.
    Name:  IMG_1654.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  100.8 KB
    Essentially what the Model 58 / 41Police should’ve been
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I'd buy one of those! Smith has very little staying power. If a new model doesn't sell like hotcakes, it is banished from the Smith family, rarely ever to return. Unfortunately Smith won't wait for the average gunbuyer to catch up to the new releases. They should do like Ruger build a run if it doesn't sell they will wait for demand to increase and build more---44 Special Flattop Blackhawks.

The M646 with the titanium cylinder is a rare beast. It was one of the rare models that S&W did for competition shooters. I remember when these were new in the midst of the Scandium Airlite Ti push. There were also some L-frame Centennials, including one in .38 Special, that now bring lots of money. Too bad the titanium cylinder was not used with a scandium alloy K-frame to make a modern M12 revolver. The M315NG was as close as S&W got to a modern M12.

PSA: Do NOT scrub the cylinder face on any S&W revolver with a titanium cylinder. It can abrade or compromise the clear coat finish that stops erosion of the soft titanium. Just brush off the lead with a soft cloth and CLP and ignore the carbon rings.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-08-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The M646 with the titanium cylinder is a rare beast. It was one of the rare models that S&W did for competition shooters. I remember when these were new in the midst of the Scandium Airlite Ti push. There were also some L-frame Centennials, including one in .38 Special, that now bring lots of money. Too bad the titanium cylinder was not used with a scandium alloy K-frame to make a modern M12 revolver. The M315NG was as close as S&W got to a modern M12.

PSA: Do NOT scrub the cylinder face on any S&W revolver with a titanium cylinder. It can abrade or compromise the clear coat finish that stops erosion of the soft titanium. Just brush off the lead with a soft cloth and CLP and ignore the carbon rings.
    Thank you for that PSA. I was unaware of that issue with the titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Essentially what the Model 58 / 41Police should’ve been
    Oof.

I recognize that a ti-cylindered .40 is more practical than the blued .41 Special 586 That Should Have Been but... man. I mean. You're not wrong but did you have to be right aloud?

Site Supporter
    That gun with a steel cylinder would have been the ideal "duty" or "defensive" revolver to me. Had they offered such a model I would have paid more money than I should to get my hands on one. After a bad experience with a Titanium cylinder I won't own another one. YMMV!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Oof.

I recognize that a ti-cylindered .40 is more practical than the blued .41 Special 586 That Should Have Been but... man. I mean. You're not wrong but did you have to be right aloud?
    LE wanted a beefed up K (so an L) not an N frame. The 41 Police load is pretty much 40s&w ballistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    LE wanted a beefed up K (so an L) not an N frame. The 41 Police load is pretty much 40s&w ballistics.
    I remember. So was the .38-40 going back to the SAA days.

It doesn't make the contrast between the two any less painful.

Looks like a second issue.
    First batch were PC styled with slab sided barrel, came in a Halliburton case.
    Second bunch with regular L full lug. I suspect a parts cleanup.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List