Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remington 870 Tactical question

The follower should arrive today. I’m planning on shooting it tomorrow to test everything.
    I’ve replaced:
    Stock
    Extractor
    Magazine spring
    And follower.

Any other items I should replace, or just run it?

The 870 Police models have an extra power carrier dog spring.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    The follower should arrive today. I’m planning on shooting it tomorrow to test everything.
    I’ve replaced:
    Stock
    Extractor
    Magazine spring
    And follower.

Any other items I should replace, or just run it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    The 870 Police models have an extra power carrier dog spring.
    The Police models also used to have an extra power sear spring, but Remington changed over to using the standard 870 sear spring in them at some point. Not too many people get real excited about the thought of increasing sear spring weight.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I fired a box of cheap bulk Winchester today. Seems to work. Kinda weak ejection, but nothing too concerning. Smooth shooter.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    I fired a box of cheap bulk Winchester today. Seems to work. Kinda weak ejection, but nothing too concerning. Smooth shooter.
    A lot of initial 870 extraction/ejection problems I have seen are due to ammo type or roughness of the chamber and/or the extension on the barrel that the shell might rub against on the way back and out. That your gun works even just okay with the cheap Winchester stuff is a plus right out of the gate.

My own experience has been that even Police models benefit from some use and break-in to really function their best, and while I don't believe in pounding the living daylights out of an 870 or a Mossy, I admit that I can still get too "delicate" when I rack a pump shotgun... yes, I am confessing to "sub-optimal operator" error.

I personally like doing some "farmer style" vetting of a new shotgun: running all sorts of odds and ends through the gun and getting at least some of the rough bits smoothed off while simultaneously making mental notes about what ammunition seems to make the thing choke. I used to always have odd rounds that were the dregs of nearly empty boxes, or single rounds eventually thrown into the proverbial coffee can after being pocketed during sessions; I also "bummed" random rounds whenever other shooters were willing to contribute a couple. The more variety the better.

(And man, some contributions are interesting to speculate on! Like shells that must have left the factory during the Eisenhower administration, or some odd crap made in Elbonia or Pottsylvania. I always clean the barrel and magazine tube religiously after using such mixed bags o' fodder because some of the fouling can be kind of wild.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List