Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92x vs. LTT vs. Wilson trigger experiences and opinions?

92x vs. LTT vs. Wilson trigger experiences and opinions?

Sorry gang used search function but couldn’t find older informative thread I recalled reading about similar question. What are your user opinions of each and preference. For example is the Extreme-s trigger the same that is currently in the 92x compacts / centurians? Regarding reset, which is shortest.

Appreciate the insight,

Dave

Site Supporter
    Use the Yahoo Advanced Web Search and you can find lots of threads here about the topic.

Type in the words 92x ltt wilson in the "all of these words" field and type pistol-forum.com in the domain/site field. Try different versions of that until you see what you are looking for.

I believe the current production RDO versions of the 92X series all use the short reset trigger found on the M9A4.

My experience is w/ my M9A1 w/ LTT NP3 TJIB and 11# hammer spring that I used to shoot in idpa vs 92X Defensive that I got last summer as an upgrade idpa gun. The 92XDef comes w/ the ExtremeS trigger. I took it out pretty quickly. Here is why. 1- Both Wilson and LTT trigger bars have always moved the hammer further back in the DA pull than the old standard 92 trigger. I don't remember exactly what they did that for (more reliable ignition w/ light springs?) but one side effect that I really liked was that the shot breaks at so close to the same trigger position in both SA and DA that I can't measure the difference. That allows me to control over travel much better w/ a shim on the M9A1 or screw on the XDef. My first thought when dry firing the XDef was hell, an easy way for Beretta to reduce DA trigger pull is don't pull the hammer as far against the hammer spring = bingo, lighter DA pull. But will it fire all primers? 2- The SA pull was heavier than my M9A1 by a lot. So I quick swapped in a 11# spring. That helped a lot to reduce the # but it still wasn't as nice and smooth as I was used to. 3- The trigger at rest for a DA pull has a longer reach than standard 92s. Overall my M9A1 has a 4#14oz DA pull and a 2#12oz SA pull that I increase up to 3# so I don't do unintended double taps (my fault entirely) in matches. The XDef, as received, had heavier pulls and not even close to as smooth. I replaced the trigger bar w/ LTT NP3 bar, the hammer w/ NP3 Elite skeleton hammer from LTT, and the trigger w/ an old Wilson short reach trigger and installed an LTT 10# hammer spring. I would have used an LTT NP3 sear but the XDef sear is different than a slide safety 92 sear. So I did a quick polish on the OE sear. Now the XDef trigger is just as smooth as my old gun and very slightly lighter due to the 10# spring. I suppose the ExtremeS trigger is better than a box stock 92fs but in my experience it is not even close to an LTT NP3 trigger.

Craig, thanks, type of info and wisdom Iwas looking for.

While I know a lot about Beretta I'm pretty "meh" about trigger from a "pounds/trigger job" point of view.
    I care more about a getting to the wall, and managing sights. (I've got slow splits for a GM...)

In short, I'm not a trigger weirdo. You could call me "trigger fluid" using the pronouns of "meh/mmmhhh"

My biggest concern is longevity of the trigger. Stock Beretta trigger bars quickly get worn out and lead to horrible stacking issues.
    I'm not sure if Beretta is doing more with heat treating on the "extreme" trigger bars, but my first one on my 92XP was soft.

http://instagram.com/p/B7mBynIJMPS/

I do appreciate that the Wilson and LTT Bars are made of much more reliably heat treated metal.

I do find the LTT OPT trigger bar and race-hammer combo very easy to shoot - a lot of the movement to find "the wall" is taken out of the system.

Hope that helps some... Wish I could be more helpful here...

I went with the Wilson bar on my 92D, as the LTT isn't recommended for that model.
    Seems to work with the lightest included spring.

The plan is to have Langdon cut it for an optic so I can actually shoot it more.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 05-08-2023 at 05:17 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    While I know a lot about Beretta I'm pretty "meh" about trigger from a "pounds/trigger job" point of view.
    Same here. A D spring is all the trigger job I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My biggest concern is longevity of the trigger. Stock Beretta trigger bars quickly get worn out and lead to horrible stacking issues.
    I'm not sure if Beretta is doing more with heat treating on the "extreme" trigger bars, but my first one on my 92XP was soft.
    Is that across all Beretta history, or a recent thing? I'm not too bright, but I like to think I could tell if they were getting worse. Maybe I'm dumber than I thought because a few of mine should be exhibiting problems given the round counts on them.

Help me, Pepperoni-san.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Out of maybe 20 trigger bars (originals and replacements) I have one that wore like the pic Les shows although no where near that badly. Ironically it is an NP3 LTT bar. I wrapped some tape around it and threw it way in the back of one of my toolbox drawers. Stuff happens so I don't worry about it. LTT finally got some NP3 triggers back in stock so 3 days ago I ordered several along w/ bars and hammers. All our 92s have a Wilson or LTT bar in them. Most are NP3 but the tan M9A3 and the Elite have black ones so the looks don't get messed up.

The core difference between these is the TB in my opinion, and as I understand it, the xtreme s, LTT, and Wilson trigger bars are generally different in the following ways:

Xtreme S from Beretta: reduces reset and is specced to be a straight factory competition spec drop-in

Wilson: I think Ernest actually helped set this up back in the day, but this trigger bar prioritizes increasing the arc length on the DA pull by engaging earlier and releasing later in the arc. This allows for more reliable ignition on a lighter than average hammer spring in DA (the OG DA release point is about 10* earlier than the SA). This doesn't change reset.

LTT: This TB reduces reset as well integrating an overstop travel, which has a noticeable impact over the XS bar, but comes with the possibility of needing to fit the bar by filing the overstop travel nub a smidge to function. If fit correctly, there are no issues I'm aware of.

Past that there's a mix of available coatings on the various parts, and I believe LTT's gunsmiths hand stone some engagement surfaces for their TJIB, where Beretta falls into the mass production category there. I think both LTT and WC are using machined tool steel stock with a higher heat treat, which means the TB is less likely to be the wear point in higher round count guns.

Past that you're getting into springs and such which changes from use to use and configuration to configuration.

I dont think there's a flat out good/better/best among these since they're all solid and it matters what shooter, what gun, and what discipline. I have each trigger bar in at least one of my 92s, and love em all.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Same here. A D spring is all the trigger job I need.
    This is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Is that across all Beretta history, or a recent thing? I'm not too bright, but I like to think I could tell if they were getting worse. Maybe I'm dumber than I thought because a few of mine should be exhibiting problems given the round counts on them. Help me, Pepperoni-san.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Out of maybe 20 trigger bars (originals and replacements) I have one that wore like the pic Les shows although no where near that badly. Ironically it is an NP3 LTT bar. I wrapped some tape around it and threw it way in the back of one of my toolbox drawers. Stuff happens so I don't worry about it. LTT finally got some NP3 triggers back in stock so 3 days ago I ordered several along w/ bars and hammers. All our 92s have a Wilson or LTT bar in them. Most are NP3 but the tan M9A3 and the Elite have black ones so the looks don't get messed up.
    I used to keep them as I wore them out. Then it was like a box full, so I just threw them all away. The Wilson and LTT bars made a huge difference in longevity.

I had a recent M9A1 that I purchased (at a LGS for $200) and wore out quite fast... A month of solid dry fire. I'm not sure if the Extreme bars are better in regards to that or not.

Now, take this all with a grain of salt: I'm a psycho. I dry fire a lot. I wear out a lot of gear. A lot of folks might not need a better trigger bar. That said, if it starts wearing out, the Wilson bar/kits or LTT TJIAB are really the best way to go...

Name:  original-500x281.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  25.7 KB

User Tag List