Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Post-Ban Semi-Auto Battle Rifle=A Luxembourg Contract FN 49

They're still out there; there are a number of pretty decent sources: Numrich/Gun Parts, Liberty Tree and Apex Gun Parts are the ones that I've sourced from so far. You might, for example, have to order the 2 components of the 2-piece firing pin from 2 different suppliers; in my case, Numrich had the right rear, but no front, but Apex had a complete set, but it was Egyptian contract parts, so the rear was useless to me, but I needed their front because Numrich was out of stock.

Consumables (springs mostly) seem to be available. I'd recommend judiciously order some spare parts (firing pins, firing pin springs, perhaps some of the other springs) but these things are pretty solidly built, so I don't think there's a huge amount to worry about in normal use with decent ammunition, and cleaning and lubing.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    I'm miles away from an expert on old military rifles, but this seems like it has a big "practical" benefit over the Garand in that the magazine can be topped off, if I read your description correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I'm miles away from an expert on old military rifles, but this seems like it has a big "practical" benefit over the Garand in that the magazine can be topped off, if I read your description correctly.
    Yes/no/possibly. First, the rifle that started this thread is beautiful. The design, like most everything designed by FN, is a good one. Had Belgium not been invaded by Germany in 1940, the FN49 might have been the FN43. But getting to your point, it is possible to top off the Garand, but it is more difficult and time consuming. Pull the bolt to the rear, holding it back with the knife edge of your right hand and eject the clip and ammo while covering the action with your hand to prevent the clip and remaining ammo from flying away. The bolt will remain locked to the rear and you can insert rounds into the clip to top it off. Then push it back down to lock in place and release the bolt. Or, eject and control the clip and ammo, stuff them in a pocket, and reload with a new clip. Topping off the magazine presupposes a pocket of loose ammo.

There are plusses and minuses to both systems, but militarily, I think the Garand enbloc system is superior. Stripper clips are typically more fragile and stripper clip loading doesn't go as fast as it does in a video game. But in the Europe of the time, there were literal tons of stripper clips and troops were already familiar with using them to load the rifle. Also, keep this in mind. Very few soldiers, in any army, kept a pocket full of loose rounds for topping off their rifle.

In the context of this conversation, we aren't talking about using the rifle for actual military use. So sporting use or since the OP is unfortunately behind the lines of the Peoples Democratic Republic of Washington (sad, I lived in Vancouver for several years and worked mainly in Oregon. Both were GREAT in the early 90's), he might need it for protection from the increase in crime. Topping off the magazine is an administrative action taken during a lull in the action when there are no immediate threats. I'll say that it might be practical to top off the rifle with 3 or 4 rounds, but fantasy aside, why and when? It pre-supposes that you've just shot or shot at someone an unspecified number of times and in anticipation of more fighting to come, you are topping off the magazine. I'll leave it to you to decide if that is a deciding factor in which rifle you want to get.

Personally, I think I'd like to have both an FN-49 and M1 Garand, simply because they are both excellent designs with history behind them and I'd enjoy shooting both. I've never shot an FN-49, but I have qualified on the M1, shot competition with it and currently own a Springfield Armor manufactured in January 1942. In 2023, I don't consider either superior to the other. Enjoy and shoot either one, preferably both!

A close friend of mine has a M1 Garand, and we plan on doing some training together, so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast the two platforms. I definitely see Dorsai's points on reloading. I'm using some Swedish stripper/charger clips originally for the Swedish Mauser in the caliber of 6.5x55 that work very well with .30-06 cartridges, and I vastly prefer their construction and leaf spring retention system.

While the MI en bloc clip is faster to reload, keep in mind your reloading eight as opposed to 10 rounds, so the FN 49 has at least an initial advantage in the first load-out. I prefer the ability to top off as needed with individual cartridges or 5 rounds at a time as needed, which worked well with the Lee Enfield in combat.

I think that a realistic tactical reload of a M1 really consists of ejecting the partially depleted clip and loading a full one; my preference is the options with the FN 49 system. For heavy combat/multiple targets, the M1 Garand system is probably superior, especially if there's a good ammunition resupply train.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

May I ask about the sights on the FN 49? To me, the M1 Garand has the best iron sights ever attached to a rifle. Even with my aging astigmatic eyes, I am minute of torso at 200 yards with my 1944 SA rifle. I cannot do that with any other iron sights other than the aperture sights on my Winchester 75 Sporting. More than once, I have considered the Ultimak optic mount and mounting an Aimpoint PRO or T1 (I have both not mounted on anything) on it.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-26-2023 at 01:06 PM.

The FN 49 has an adjustable peep aperture rear sight and a relatively thin blade front sight. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation; elevation via a movable slider, for windage by removing two side screws, which then expose the dovetail, by which the sight can then be drift adjustable. The front sight can be drifted within the dovetail, and there are numerous replacement FN OEM front sights with differing heights for adjusting POA/POI with given cartridges if necessary. The rear sight peep aperture is smaller than that of the M! Garand and Lee Enfield (even the smaller aperture on the Lee Enfield's adjustable ladder rear sight), but it's definitely usable, although based on future accumulated experience I may have my gunsmith judiciously enlarge it, but carefully, as my understanding is that the FN 49's front sight is thinner than that of both the Lee Enfield and M1 Garand.

To date I've been using relatively small targets at 50 and 100 yards (at 100 yards, visibility is doable, but difficult with the smaller-size targets), so I'm going to switch to larger targets and see how the sight aperture visibility is before any sight mangling occurs.

Once I have a better handle on .30-06 147/150 gr POA/POI with both handloads and commercial cartridges, I'll concurrently fine-tune sight elevation as well, although it's looking good for keeping the existing front sight.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

The local shop got a Venezuelan FN49 in .308. No price yet, but I'll be tempted.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The local shop got a Venezuelan FN49 in .308. No price yet, but I'll be tempted.
    If it's in .308, it's got to be Argentinian, not Venezuelan; the Venezuelan's were only produced in 7mm Mauser. The Argentinians were originally produced in 7.65 x 53 Mauser, ands were later converted to 7.62 x 51. The Venezuelan contract FN 49s will have the 6 slot muzzle brake. Either gun will have their respective national crest on the barrel breech.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If it's in .308, it's got to be Argentinian, not Venezuelan; the Venezuelan's were only produced in 7mm Mauser. The Argentinians were originally produced in 7.65 x 53 Mauser, ands were later converted to 7.62 x 51. The Venezuelan contract FN 49s will have the 6 slot muzzle brake. Either gun will have their respective national crest on the barrel breech.

Best, Jon
    DOH! You're right, and the guy at the shop even told me it was an Argentinian rifle.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Cool

Very cool indeed!!! Thanks for posting!
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List