Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Post-Ban Semi-Auto Battle Rifle=A Luxembourg Contract FN 49

My Post-Ban Semi-Auto Battle Rifle=A Luxembourg Contract FN 49

Washington state just became a "assault weapons" ban state, essentially barring future purchase and sale of a fairly extensive list of what are deemed assault weapons (essentially, if it looks like an AR15, AK47, FN FAL, etc. they're now disallowed, although those acquired prior to the legislation enactment are allowed). Seeing the handwriting on the law (in Washington, nine other states, and potentially more in the future), I decided it might not be such a bad idea to get a credible non-listed semi-automatic rifle in a credible, vetted, and widely available cartridge, with a capacity of no more than 10 rounds.

I considered several; an M1 Garand from the CMP, a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 were high on the list. However, after a recent professional clock hour course in an adjacent city, I stopped in at Pinto's Guns, a very established local gunshop in Renton WA, noted for it's depth of selection and knowledge. Casually chatting with one of the owners, I looked up at the rifle rack, and asked, "Is that an FN 49?" It indeed was, and what appeared to be a pristine Luxembourg contract one in .30-06, which was the standard Duchy of Luxembourg's issue rifle from 1951-1965, and saw heavy combat with the Belgian Battalion (which was augmented with Luxembourg army volunteers) in the Korean war.

I had previously owned an Egyptian contract FN 49 (or more correctly, a FN 49 using various surplus Egyptian contract rifle components and new furniture by Century Arms in 8mm Mauser, so I was pretty familiar with the FN 49.

I chose to go with the FN 49 versus an M1 Garand for several reasons:

1. Ok, I'll admit it upfront-it's cool-a hipster .30-06 battle rifle...

2. The pristine shape, and .30-06 chambering;

3. The fact that the magazine, while technically detachable, is not intended to be reloaded by magazine swaps, but with 5 round charger/stripper clips, or one at a time with individual rounds. The magazine feed lips are actually part of the receiver-if you detach a loaded FN 49 magazine, when the magazine detaches the rounds just spill out. The FN 49's magazine is, like the Lee Enfield's, while technically detachable, it's really detachable just for cleaning purposes.

4. The FN 49 possesses a user-tunable gas regulation system, so the gun can be adjusted M2 ball utilizes the full gas kick, but heavier loadings and bullet weights can be utilized with reduced gas regulator settings; access to the regulator sleeve is by removing the upper front handguard, setting the regulator accordingly, and replacing the handguard (on the later FN FAL, the regulator is reached without having to remove the handguard).

5. These guns were superbly made, with old world forgings and craftsmanship, and beautiful straight grain walnut furniture (particularly for a military issue rifle).

6. The sights are a protected rear aperture, and a dovetailed front post. The aperture is smaller than that of the M1/M1A and Lee Enfield, but it's very usable as is.

7. Triggerpull is a decent 2-stage military pull, decent, but not particularly exceptional. At this point, I'll leave well enough alone.

8. The Luxembourg FN 49s are usually highly desired among the FN 49 contracts due to their .30-06 chambering, and generally excellent shape.

The gun was expensive, albeit not inordinately so, and actually reasonably priced for what it is.

I obtained Wet Dog Publications excellent "The FN-49 The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle" by the late Wayne Johnson; his expanded 2nd edition (Wayne very unfortunately passed away last December). For any FN users and interested historians, this book is highly recommended, both from an historical and operational standpoint-it thoroughly goes through all the contracts, and individual components and component variations.

While I initially thought mine was an unissued, or exceptionally pristine barely used example, there were some oddities that I had the pleasure of discussing with FN expert Anthony Vanderlinden, the owner of Wet Dog Publications and noted author on his own. He feels that while mine is a genuine Luxembourg contract gun, it was likely thoroughly gone through by a skilled gunsmith in this country subsequent to its 1966 importation. The stove paint over parkerization finish was replaced by a highly polished blue finish, and I suspect that literally every component was gone through and replaced with new as necessary, although the coding one the rifle is such that it was likely a very low use one. Additionally, the OEM magazine release was replaced by a much more accessible and usable component, so nicely executed that I thought it might be an experimental FN component, but Anthony thinks not. The quality of the work performed is top-notch, and nothing I wouldn't have personally done myself, even though it's not in "as issued" form. And I got it to be used- a shooter, not a safe queen, so ultimately I'm quite pleased with what I got.

The release is curved and serrated, and makes for a much easier magazine removal (the original release required using a bullet tip or similar).

Adds that I decided upon after acquisition:

-The OEM 1-piece firing pin was replaced by FN's improved 2-piece unit, being much less susceptible to damage/bending, which could induce slam-firing; fortunately, 2-piece firing pins are easily obtainable and interchangeable with the original, although I had to use different sources for the front and rear components, and a back-up/replacement firing pin spring

-A decent supply of charger/stripper clips for .30-06 cartridges;

-A period 10 pouch cartridge belt

-An appropriate .30-06 chamber brush;

-The critical FN gas regulator spanner/screwdriver combination tool;

-and a credible sling-currently I'm using a Boonie Packer Safari sling, but may eventually replace it with a Magpul RLS sling, or a Frank Proctor one;

-A buttstock two pouch charger/stripper clip pouch, from Strike Hard in coyote; originally for Mosin Nagant clips, this works superbly with the FN 49 (and my Lee Enfield) providing convenient on-board back up ammunition storage

It seems to shoot beautifully; M2 Korean surplus non-corrosive ball provided 2-3 inch groups, and some 185 gr handloads provided 1-1.5 inch groups. I'll use Hornady 150 gr American Whitetail Interlock for hunting, and am having some appropriately loaded 150 gr ball and soft tip loaded up for it.

So there you have it. It's an exquisite, but eminently usable classic, and a viable post ban compliant rifle.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-07-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I’m in love. A FFL I used years ago had a FN 49 in the rack, and I was fascinated by it. That’s an amazing score!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

That is fantastic. I will look into these rifles…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The Holy Grail of these would be, in my opinion, a later production .30-06 with the reinforcing stock lug, an upgraded/reinforced/supported locking key, and 2-piece firing pin, such as a Luxembourg contract sniper rifle variant.

Regardless, I'm exceptionally pleased with my earlier production variant-the upgraded locking key was probably to somewhat "soldier proof" the component (much like the US M9 contract Berettas moving from a metal (bendable) recoil spring guide to the polymer one), and the reinforced stock lug, while desirable, for mine most likely to found on a non-Luxembourg contract gun, as the Luxembourg ones with it were also likely select-fire versions, which required some component reworking to be legally importable (or the contract sniper rifles, but there were only 203 of those...) -I'm not too worried about the stock durability as it is, and, as I mentioned, I already have substituted a 2-piece firing pin for the OEM 1 piece one.

Realistically, the 2-piece firing pin is really the only prudent thing I felt needed (after checking the firing pin spring condition for wear, of course).

Alternatively, a Venezuelan 7mm Mauser chambered one, with the muzzle brake could be very tempting.

Or, frankly, any variant in decent shape, provided you can source cartridges for it.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-07-2023 at 08:18 PM.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    -The OEM 1-piece firing pin was replaced by FN's improved 2-piece unit, being much less susceptible to damage/bending, which could induce slam-firing; fortunately, 2-piece firing pins are easily obtainable and interchangeable with the original, although I had to use different sources for the front and rear components, and a back-up/replacement firing pin spring
    That was in the back of my mind as I was reading your post. I need to do that to the one my Grandfather bought from the sporting goods counter at the Sears where my Grandmother worked somewhere around 1966-67.

Growing up I always heard about the "Mauser" he'd bought that would double with his reloads but not factory ammo. It wasn't until the late-90s when I got deep into the FAL scene that I learned about the FN49. At the same time it dawned on me that for all those years he was talking about a Mauser doubling. I finally asked him if I could see it because I had visions of a G43 or something in my head. When he brought out the 49 I was extremely surprised but not disappointed. I don't remember offhand if it's a Belgian or Luxembourg contract.

He set it up for deer hunting with an S&K no drill scope mount. I think he and my Dad both took a deer with it before he moved to a Remington .30-06 autoloader and Dad moved to a Marlin 336 .30-30.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That was in the back of my mind as I was reading your post. I need to do that to the one my Grandfather bought from the sporting goods counter at the Sears where my Grandmother worked somewhere around 1966-67.

Growing up I always heard about the "Mauser" he'd bought that would double with his reloads but not factory ammo. It wasn't until the late-90s when I got deep into the FAL scene that I learned about the FN49. At the same time it dawned on me that for all those years he was talking about a Mauser doubling. I finally asked him if I could see it because I had visions of a G43 or something in my head. When he brought out the 49 I was extremely surprised but not disappointed. I don't remember offhand if it's a Belgian or Luxembourg contract.

He set it up for deer hunting with an S&K no drill scope mount. I think he and my Dad both took a deer with it before he moved to a Remington .30-06 autoloader and Dad moved to a Marlin 336 .30-30.
    Make sure you get the right rear portion-if it's an Egyptian contract, or one of the Century Arms builds, there is no firing pin safety. The one supplier I found with the complete 2-piece set (Liberty Tree) only had Egyptian rear pieces, which don't have the firing pin safety groove slot, so I used their front piece, and got the proper slotted rear one from Numrich for my particular FN 49.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Beautiful rifle! Saw one in my area not long ago. I’m pretty sure it was Egyptian. It was an 8mm.

Beautiful rifle. I've always had a soft spot for the FN49.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I stopped in at Pinto's Guns, a very established local gunshop in Renton WA, noted for it's depth of selection and knowledge.
    Pinto's is amazing.

I've known Chris and Diana for nearly 30 years. They've both hunted Africa multiple times, and between them possess an encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much every firearm ever made.

They also price things reasonably, which I appreciate.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Pinto's is amazing.

I've known Chris and Diana for nearly 30 years. They've both hunted Africa multiple times, and between them possess an encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much every firearm ever made.

They also price things reasonably, which I appreciate.

Okie John
    Totally agree. Chris was the one that I worked with on this, and we had some great discussions one it during our negotiations. He personally has a FN 49 as well, and was genuinely pleased that this one was going to someone who knew a bit about what it was, and was going to be using it.

Diana has been very supportive of Renton FIsh and Game (and is on the Board), which is where I predominantly shoot IDPA at.

They constantly get in interesting pieces, and their knowledge and reasonable pricing is much appreciated.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List