Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Post-Ban Semi-Auto Battle Rifle=A Luxembourg Contract FN 49

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    DOH! You're right, and the guy at the shop even told me it was an Argentinian rifle.
    Careful, if those were the ones with detachable mags they had a reputation as being…problematic IIRC. I don’t remember, we’re they converted to take FAL mags or were they proprietary?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Careful, if those were the ones with detachable mags they had a reputation as being…problematic IIRC. I don’t remember, we’re they converted to take FAL mags or were they proprietary?
    The mag was removed, but I was told it was the normally fixed mag.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The problematic ones were likely inherent to the half-assed conversion of 20 round to 10 round, apparently in a panic during the early days of the original 1994 AWB, also apparently done by children allowed to play with power tools. The results were pretty amateurish, both in appearance and function. I believe Liberty Tree has the OEM 20 rounders available. The 7.62 detachable magazines were proprietary specifically to the FN 49, they WERE NOT FN FAL conversions. Wayne Johnson in his excellent book, "FN-49The Last Old-World Military Rifle" reports that the 10 round magazines retained the OEM 20 rounder's springs, which created an over-springing situation, causing malfunctions. Owners of 10 round converted magazines should check them for proper functioning; problems should be discussed and resolved by a competent gunsmith is my thought (or just by getting the OEM 20 round magazines,
    https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...9&idcategory=0).

Otherwise, the Argentine FN 49s are excellent, in their original caliber or as converted; the conversion barrels were chrome-lined, and manufactured by Metalurgica Centro locally, and serialed to each individual rifle, and the magazine release is easier to access and manipulate. The extractor, ejector and other receiver components were also modified. Most, if not all of the Argentine contract FN 49s were converted to 7.62 x 51.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-13-2023 at 01:29 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The problematic ones were likely inherent to the half-assed conversion of 20 round to 10 round, apparently in a panic during the early days of the original 1994 AWB, also apparently done by children allowed to play with power tools. The results were pretty amateurish, both in appearance and function. I believe Liberty Tree has the OEM 20 rounders available. The 7.62 detachable magazines were proprietary specifically to the FN 49, they WERE NOT FN FAL conversions. Wayne Johnson in his excellent book, "FN-49The Last Old-World Military Rifle" reports that the 10 round magazines retained the OEM 20 rounder's springs, which created an over-springing situation, causing malfunctions.
    Thanks for the clarification. A faulty memory and probably a lack of details from 15+ years ago have kept me away from them.

I was always under the impression the conversion itself was problematic when I started seeing them cussed/discussed and advertised. But that was still during the AWB in the early-00s so if mags were poorly converted to 10 rd for import, I can see where my poor impression came from.

I've got that book but I've never done anything besides drool over the pictures...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988798132

No relation, Yada Yada Yada

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988798132

No relation, Yada Yada Yada
    I'd be a tad wary of that one; on a Luxembourg contract rifle, the flaming bomb engraving followed by the "2 8 3" on the left front of the receiver as seen in one of the images is strongly indicative of extended service, heavy use and possible extensive barrel erosion.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

This one's possibly a better bet, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/992763291, it's a Late contract production variant (with a reinforced and more protected locking lever key assembly, stock reinforcing lug, scope mounting rails incorporated in receiver, smooth/uncheckered operating handle, and the serial stamped in stock wood on right side. It will also likely have a thicker gas plug.

But I can't make out the wear stamping numbers to the right of the flaming bomb cartouche on the front left of the receiver side, and the wood looks a bit more used and worn. If possible, I'd ask the seller for clarification and a more detailed picture. Ideally, there would be the flaming bomb cartouche and either a "0" or "1," indicative of low barrel erosion/usage.

It is also very possibly one that had the action converted/modified from full auto capability to semi-only as a characteristic of importation into the U.S., given the high serial number range-not a big deal, just a possible historical note. There seems to be evidence of grinding on the left side of the trigger guard (fore and aft) where the "SA" (fore) and "A" (aft) stamped markings were removed in consonance with the receiver and action component modifications.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-21-2023 at 10:09 AM.
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List