Thread: Cognitivre Conclave 4/29-30/23

Cognitivre Conclave 4/29-30/23

Some of the ARRs pushed out on last weekend's Cognitive Conclave ...

https://swiftsilentdeadly.com/aar-ge...tive-conclave/

"It has been quite some time since I have attended a pistol class. I’m not a GM or anything, but I have a decent level of skill with a pistol, and handgun classes just haven’t been a training priority for me over the past few years. This year I ran across the Cognitive Conclave, a pistol class offering something different and I had to do it. This is a detailed, after-action review of that class."

Great review. That guy writes a very good blog I’d almost forgotten about.

I hope to see another one of these courses somewhere reasonably close to me

It was a very good course. Encouraged me to look at the realities of a shooting problem in public spaces.

Well worth the money and time.

Site Supporter
    That is an excellent write-up of the course.

I can't really add much to that, but I agree it was definitely worth the time and cost. A bargain really, for three very good instructors.

Much of it was based on adding a cognitive load through problem solving while performing the mechanics of shooting. In several scenarios students were allowed to make their own decisions about how to solve a given problem. The technical shooting part was necessary but just the beginning -- a foundation on top of which the real meat of the class was layered.

Highly recommend.

One observation that I don’t think made it into my forthcoming AAR (which is nowhere near as well done as Justin’s):

As cognitive load increased, so too did the value of technical shooting skill. It’s been postulated elsewhere on this forum that the value of a high degree of technical skill is that it allows you to spend more time worrying about the problem. Particularly with Hearne’s block with the lights, I found that to be true.

User Tag List