Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: If you were getting into duty size 9mm Glocks today...

G19 has never really worked for me.
    If I wanted a g19 size gun I’d get a gen 5 g17/45 and have the frame cut by cold bore custom to g19 length.

Cut down full grips worked much better for me. I’m agnostic on the finger grooves if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I recently sold my Gen 4's to replace them with Gen 5's. I'm left handed, so having the slide release was a consideration in making the move, as was the MOS cut, but the improved accuracy and ejection are very nice. Gen 4 Glocks were expensive to set up as I spec'ed them as I'd replace the connector, sights and barrels and often the mag release with a slightly longer version. Gen 5's don't in my opinion "need" anything except new sights, which is nice.

I have the Gen 5 9mms in most flavors, but of them, the G34 shoots the softest. If it's a fun gun, I'd pick the 34.

If you don't like the G19 though, I'd second trying the LTT Grip anchor before giving up on it or picking up a full size, even though I have a strong preference for the full size grip. I have the grip anchors in my G19.5's and it does make a difference. I don't mind shooting the 19s anymore. I never liked my G19.4 as it was the worst for Glock knuckle and blood blisters during reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    A 34 isn’t off the table but it’s number 3 or 4 in order of priority if I decide to chug the pitcher of koolaid that’s in front of me.
    Frame sizes are the same across the 34, 45 and 47. Reading back over your comments, you might look at the G45 and a G47. The 47 has a little longer sight radius and that could be your "irons" gun(potential for a dot as they're all MOS)and the G45MOS is the dot gun. Simplifies some logistics as they both use the same recoil spring, etc.. A rep said the 17 MOS is being discontinued, but is still available with regular sights.
    I don't have a lot of shooting on a G47, but there's another thread where most like it, to include @GJM. I've got a lot of rounds on the G45MOS, currently testing a C&H "Duty" optic. I haven't had any problems.
    The direct mill Glocks aren't available commercially yet.
    JMO...

Grip texture

When comparing Glock gen 3 to gen 5, I prefer the grip texture of the gen 5. For me, the improved texture of the gen 5 helps to anchor the pistol in my hand better. Might as well throw in the improvements of the gen 5 over the gen 3.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    the improved texture of the gen 5 helps to anchor the pistol in my hand better.
    this, Gen 5 is the very first time my Glocks don't have skateboard tape or 3M step tape all over the grip area, or expensive custom stippling, simply no longer needed in my case

I had a Gen 3 Glock, and never liked the grip texture, or mag release. I tried lots of different mag releases, and they all sucked. Then I got issued Gen 4 .40 cal Glocks at work, and the larger mag release was such a huge improvement, I sold my Gen 3, and got a personal Glock 19 Gen 4 as my dedicated dry fire gun. The mag release was even better when I changed it for the extended, so called "FBI," mag release.

Then we got the Gen 5 19 at work, and the magwell, based on my rough measurements, is about 18% larger than the Gen 4. I still use the Gen 4 19 as my dedicated dry fire gun, and now reloads in live fire feel like cheating.

While I'd still prefer a more aggressive grip texture, the 4 & 5 are a huge improvement over then Gen 3.

All that is why, if I were getting another Glock, I wouldn't even consider a Gen 3, and much prefer then Gen 5, over then Gen 4.

As far as Glock 9mm go, I have three Gen 3 guns, four Gen 4 guns, and 2 Gen 5 guns. A Gen 3 G17 with an RTF2 frame would be my first choice.

Vending Machine Operator
    I think I'm just echoing everyone else here at this point but another vote for Gen 5. I have Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks and really like them, but the Gen 5 was a much more significant product improvement than it seems to be on paper. The improvements in both trigger pull and barrel accuracy combine to make the gun much more accurate in my hands than either my Gen 3s or Gen 4s.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Thanks again everyone!

The indoor range I belong to has a pretty well stocked rental counter. My plan is to rent a 45 and a 47 and see how I like them.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I have a G45 which is one of my favorites, far more so (until recently) than a G19, which I’d never really meshed with. What made the G45easier to shoot than a G19 was the longer grip, and that longer grip makes it more or less a no go during the work week or otherwise when wearing a tucked in shirt.

Along comes the LTT Grip Anchor, which for me at least (L/XL hands) makes the G19 feel and perform like a G45 while still being shorter. Absolutely brilliant product. In a world where everything’s a game changer, this really is. Cost? $28.

Attachment 104409

https://langdontactical.com/grip-anc...-the-glock-19/

Just installed it, feels great so far but I need to get some time behind it. IMO I think I'll have the same experience as you.

User Tag List