Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you were getting into duty size 9mm Glocks today...

G45 MOS

I don't doubt or question the Gen5 improvements. That said, I'm exceptionally satisfied with my Gen 3 G17, G19 and G21. And my Gen4 G22, which has the benefit of going .357 SIG with a Glock .357 barrel (which is currently unavailable, and probably unlikely for the Gen5 G22 {which otherwise is probably a better platform than my Gen4 G22}).

Advantages of the Gen 3: Tennifer metal impregnation, vetted components (especially triggerbars), accuracy (at least with mine). Basically, by fitting and upgrading Glock components (and, in the case of my G19, the LTT G19 Grip Anchor), and by adding the Hogue Handall Beavertail grip sleeves I feel that mine preclude any cogent reason to switch those models out for a Gen5. But if I was going to get a new Glock, it would be a Gen5.

Ands incidentally, wrestling on that Hogue Handall Beavertail (optimized for a G17) onto that Gen 3 "big butt" G21 is not for the faint of heart or weak of finger strength....I just did it again yesterday for a friend's new G21 SF too...(it's very much worth the expended effort, though)the shape, contouring and positioning really help with the G21's grip and handling, although it's counterintuitively making an already large gun even larger, so using it takes a bit of a leap in faith...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-13-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Gen 3 if you want to mess with it and Gen 5 if you don't.

So looking like a job change is in the future and the new job will require a POW if I want optics. Since I’ve been on the dot life across the board for a couple years now, I’d prefer not to go back to irons. Regardless of specific model, I’m definitely staying Gen 5 with an Acro and X300/TLR-1HL, carried in Safariland or similar duty holster.

Now on the the conundrum:
    G17 (not MOS) direct milled for Acro with irons in front
    G34 MOS with B&T plate, 10-8 irons in standard location

My frame of reference is using nearly identically set up carry/comp guns for the last two years- comp with a direct milled irons forward 19x and carrying a MOS 45, both with PMM comps. I like the durability of direct mill, but given the length of the x300 and the smoother cycling of the 34, I’m tempted to go that direction instead. The final x-factor is considering the 34mos, but sending it to Agency for their MOS to AOS retrofit.

Thoughts?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

If you're going with a RDS, I'm kinda hard pressed to find too many justifications for anything other than a shorter slide; I'd go the G17 route, or you might want to experiment with the G45 or even a G19.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you're going with a RDS, I'm kinda hard pressed to find too many justifications for anything other than a shorter slide; I'd go the G17 route, or you might want to experiment with the G45 or even a G19.

Best, Jon
    In principle, I get what you’re saying, but in practice, the light dictates the holster be about 34 size regardless of actual slide length. That’s why I keep cycling back to why not go with the long slide.
    Last edited by DpdG; 05-13-2023 at 07:45 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I went the other way; I found myself shooting better with the Leupold DeltaPoint Micro (on my Gen 3 G19) better than I did with a "full size" RDS (A SIG Romeo1 on my P320 RX X-Carry). I realize that I'm probably in the distant p-f minority, but for me, it is what it is. If I had shot better with the Romeo1, I probably would have kept the P320 despite my qualms with its short, light triggerpull with a muted wall break (a concern more for duty and carry than competition).

At the end of the G19 worked better for me, and I'm more confident in using it as I've equipped it in a high stress situation. But that's me.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Gen 3 if you want to mess with it and Gen 5 if you don't.
    That's the view I came to- after buying a G5 19MOS, and finding the grip and my hands do not get along. If I had a G3, I could throw the bits onto a $40 frame, and dremmel that bad boy without too many tears.

Anyone want a G5 19MOS?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have a Gen 4 19. I also have a 26 and 34 that are Gen 5. I really like the Gen 5 texture. The next Glock I buy will be a Gen 5 19 MOS. I don’t use a dot now but would go ahead so that it may be an option later. The Gen 5s just feel good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    So looking like a job change is in the future and the new job will require a POW if I want optics. Since I’ve been on the dot life across the board for a couple years now, I’d prefer not to go back to irons. Regardless of specific model, I’m definitely staying Gen 5 with an Acro and X300/TLR-1HL, carried in Safariland or similar duty holster.

Now on the the conundrum:
    G17 (not MOS) direct milled for Acro with irons in front
    G34 MOS with B&T plate, 10-8 irons in standard location

My frame of reference is using nearly identically set up carry/comp guns for the last two years- comp with a direct milled irons forward 19x and carrying a MOS 45, both with PMM comps. I like the durability of direct mill, but given the length of the x300 and the smoother cycling of the 34, I’m tempted to go that direction instead. The final x-factor is considering the 34mos, but sending it to Agency for their MOS to AOS retrofit.

Thoughts?
    You have the commitment to the ACRO, so direct mill removes a potential failure point. OTOH, @SoCalDep has had plenty of success with MOS Glocks and being disciplined about mounting. The 34 will give you a little extra on the ballistics side. If you like how the 34 cycles, that confidence means something.
    I have no experience with Agency, so can't comment there.
    As a reference, one duty gun I have is a G45 MOS w/ACRO. I personally put on the plate and so far, so good...

User Tag List