Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock River Arms carry pistol

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is SACS still doing work? I thought they closed down?
    If you can, buy SACS used as the guns have many more choices for much less than a new Pro.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    SACS, RRA, and Baer, who once ran SACS, built hard fit pistols. DW builds closer to the fit that Ed Brown or Wilson use; tight but not tight enough to wring all of the accuracy out of the platform. DW excels in the value proposition which is defined as what you get for how much you pay. SACS excels in both fit and support/warranty/guarantee; SACS guns are supported for the life of the pistol by SACS. If you like 20 LPI checkering, SACS is the way to go. If you like finer checkering, Baer is the way to go.

In this space, it is more personal preference than anything. I prefer SACS and RRA over Baer and DW. I have owned and shot the snot out of all of them. I think the former offer more attention to detail than the latter.
    Thank you. Seems like any way you cut it, used is the way to go for this price range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is SACS still doing work? I thought they closed down?
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    They still build anything you want, as long as it's a professional, or professional with a rail, in 9mm or 45.
    To clarify this - SACS still exists and builds guns but they are no longer an “a la Carte” custom shop..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Anyone here have recent experience with this? I’ve got about 2500 to spend, and have been interested in 1911s long enough that it seems like time to just pony up and buy a solid mid tier 1911 with styling that I like. The RRA seems to check those boxes, I’ve heard good things about their pistols in the past and styling wise I like the vaguely Les Baer cocking serrations and finish. If Les Baer wasn’t in the same price range as WC or nighthawk these days I’d be inclined to go with them, but value wise I don’t think they represent what they used to.
    Older, used Les Baer guns are decent. They used to occupy the value spot Dan Wesson occupies now.

Unfortunately, their prices went up and their quality went down to the point where I would no longer recommend buying a new LB.

A used Hillsdale gun for $2k or less ? Yes a new one for $3k(or close to it) -no.

I’m fortunate enough to own dozens of high end 1911’s from a variety of builders, including Wilson, Cabot, SACS, Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, infinity, Guncrafter, etc

My favorite 1911 is the RRA Limited match. Got a couple of them…

I bought a new RRA basic carry or whatever it’s called in 2017 or 18. LGS had one, and I’d been wanting one for a few years since they announced/advertised they were back to building 1911’s.

Gun was parkerized, had 25 lpi checkering, ledge,all black, rear sight and serrated tritium front sight.

Overall, it was a very good gun. Well fit, beavertail blend nicely done, trigger was pretty ok as well. Certain parts like the slide stop and bushing were numbered to the gun. I can only remember a few FTF with my 200 gr LSWC loads in the first couple of hundred rounds. Overall I had about 1500-2000 rounds through it. Was $1750 retail back then. I certainly wouldn’t mind getting another if the price was right. Got rid of it when the precision rifle big bit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

User Tag List