Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long

I’m unsure of the model number, but my step father had a S&W in .32 Long that was a tack driver.

We would have a hard time finding ammo for it but I could hit anything with that wheel gun. I wonder if my mother still has it?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    I would love to see S&W make a no-lock 432 in 32 H&R Magnum.
    You and me both. I have a search set up on GB for the 432PD, but I can’t justify the prices they fetch and I despise the lock, although I realize that’s not a rational concern. Maybe someday…

In the older I-frame S&Ws and Colt Police Positives of the same era you can improve upon factory LRN ammo by loading a 98-100 grain SWC such as the RCBS 32-98 SWC, Saeco #325 or the NOE clones of same with 2.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup, 2.7 grains of 231 or HP38 or 3 grains of Unique. These slightly exceed the SAAMI MAP of 14,000 psi, but don't exceed 16,000 psi and are within safe design limits for general use, giving about 830 fps from a 3" barrel and 850 from a 4-inch. Very effective and accurate small game loads.

I also use these loads in a relined and rechambered Army & Navy Cooperative Society rook rifle which had originally been a .300 Rook.
    Velocity is about 1000 fps from a 25-inch barrel and the report is like firing standard velocity .22LR.

My grandma found one loaded under the bed weeks after grandpa passed. We thought we’d already taken care of the guns. It was loaded with his SWC hand loads.

I acquired 2 S&W 32 revolvers. The 3 1/4 is a prewar gun and the 2 inch is an early post war gun with leaf. I took the 2 inch to an indoor range. The lighting was poor and the front sight was hard to see. I was tipping the gun to see the front sight better causing the rounds to go a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In the post-1957 S&W Models 30 and 31 you can load 3 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup, 3.5 grains of 231 or HP38 or 4 grains of Unique with the Hornady 85-grain XTP for 900 fps from a 3-inch barrel. Treat these as +P not for steady use if you want the gun to last.

In your sturdy revolver chambered for .32 H&R Magnum you can load 7 grains of Alliant 2400 or 8.5 grains of 4227 in .32 S&W Long brass with the 85 XTP to approach .32 H&R ballistics. These are " full charge" loads which should not be exceeded in the H&R Mag. guns.
    I tried Bullseye in my 31-1 and had lots of unburned powder everywhere. Might have something to do with my crimp, IDK, but I gave up on that powder. I think a slower powder like TG would work better. I'm using IMR 7625 which I had left over from my shotgun loading days. No longer available.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    My 31-1 is definitely a low mileage gun. I shoot factory WC or RNL or equalivant handloads for fun, if I carry it I have BB WC in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Interesting reading on the Blue Forum:
    That's what I'm talking about the 32 is just stupid accurate and fun to shoot... But as a self-defense gun, might just be better to leave it well enough alone and reach for something else in your vast reserves. Like that copy-cat "Les Pepperoni-style" MR73

http://instagram.com/p/CkavCONL1FR/

vs

http://instagram.com/p/CaUy4ZCLnX8/

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I tried Bullseye in my 31-1 and had lots of unburned powder everywhere. Might have something to do with my crimp.....
    My Bullseye is older, purchased in 1990. Burns whistle clean and completely, even in short barrels and with light crimp.

Are you sure your powder is Bullseye and not Bullseye86?

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My Bullseye is older, purchased in 1990. Burns whistle clean and completely, even in short barrels and with light crimp.

Are you sure your powder is Bullseye and not Bullseye86?
    I'll have to look at my notes. It could have been 2400.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'll have to look at my notes. It could have been 2400.
    Alliant #2400 burns completely in full case capacity charges around 7 grains in .32 S&W Long brass for use in .32 H&R Mag revolvers, but that exceeds safe design limits for the S&W Models 30 and 31. Is fine in the Rugers.

User Tag List