Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long

Site Supporter
    No experience with the gun butI shoot nothing but .32S&W Long in my .327 LCR. I like the idea of a 6th round in a snub and the two BB loads seem to do pretty well. I just wish I could get one on the lighter 38/rimfire frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The problem is not many manufactures make a J frame SB grips.
    Sometimes you can find Herrett's Shooting Stars on eBay.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Sometimes you can find Herrett's Shooting Stars on eBay.

Okie John
    I don't look at ebay much. Seems lately just about everything is over priced like Gunbroker. I've only won two things on an auction site because nobody else bid.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I scored a S&W Model 31-1 square butt pretty much new in box in .32 S&W Long. I don’t really know much about this gun or the caliber. Seems like a solid J frame and I’m wondering about running the Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast wadcutters in it.

Anyone run this caliber or give me some general deets on it?
    You willing to listen to Skeeter Skelton? Some of his handloads were equivalent and the verdict seemed to be caution and moderation with the Js.

Handloading redeems the .32 Long. In strong guns of modern steel, it is a great, smooth-shooting number on all small game when put together with cast bullets. It has been some time since I’ve loaded this shell, but my old notes indicate good results with the cast Lyman No. 313226 96-grain bullet and the No. 31133 105-grain HP, both over four grains of Unique, giving around 1000 fps velocity.

These are heavy loads and should only be fired in late, top-quality Smith, Colt, and Charter Arms revolvers. My choice would be the four-inch revolvers from Colt in the Police Positive, Police Positive Special, and Cobra, all discontinued. Smith & Wesson still makes the Models 30 and 31 for this round. They are a bit on the light side at about 18 ounces, so these heavy loads should be worked up to.
    - http://darkcanyon.net/What's%20The%2...0For%20You.htm

Give Jeff Lee of Lee's Gun Parts a shout. (972) 790-0773

He's only open Tuesday-Thursday 9-5.

But he has parts. For everything. For days.

3.) The older HE's and Mod 30's were on the iFrame - I'd be leery of launching anything but the mildest loads from it.
    The 31 were based on the j-frame and use some better metal. That said, is there a compelling reason to launch hotter loads out of it?[/QUOTE]

My 31-1 is definitely a low mileage gun. I shoot factory WC or RNL or equalivant handloads for fun, if I carry it I have BB WC in it. I have only fired enough BB to vet in the gun and confirm POA/POI (it's expensive). However, BB states their loads are within SAAMI spec of 15,000 PSI and safe in any solid frame gun.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=345
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=344

I've been shooting a good deal of Magtech 32 Long wadcutters out of my 432PD, and I've been eyeing some 32 Long steel guns as well. Keeping a close eye on this as the BB 32 rounds combined with the heftier weight of the steel 32s looks like a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveThePirate View Post
    I've been shooting a good deal of Magtech 32 Long wadcutters out of my 432PD, and I've been eyeing some 32 Long steel guns as well. Keeping a close eye on this as the BB 32 rounds combined with the heftier weight of the steel 32s looks like a great combo.
    Yeah my thoughts too as I dropped my Amex on this little gun.

In the post-1957 S&W Models 30 and 31 you can load 3 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup, 3.5 grains of 231 or HP38 or 4 grains of Unique with the Hornady 85-grain XTP for 900 fps from a 3-inch barrel. Treat these as +P not for steady use if you want the gun to last.

In your sturdy revolver chambered for .32 H&R Magnum you can load 7 grains of Alliant 2400 or 8.5 grains of 4227 in .32 S&W Long brass with the 85 XTP to approach .32 H&R ballistics. These are " full charge" loads which should not be exceeded in the H&R Mag. guns.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-04-2023 at 01:55 PM.

Interesting reading on the Blue Forum:

My 31-1 has been reamed (by one of the members of this forum) to take 32 H&R Magnum, which allows it to shoot Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Magnum +P rounds that have energy slightly above 158g +P 38 Specials. (Buffalo Bore advised that their +P 32 Magnum round is safe for unlimited use in a reamed 31-1, although at ~$1.25/round I'm not going to test that statement.) So it can be turned into a small but potent defensive weapon.

That said, with "standard" 32 Long ammo, a Model 31 could be the most fun you'll ever have with a centerfire handgun. Painless to shoot and (all of my 32s are) incredibly accurate, within the limits of their sights. So if you can find ammo for it, get some, and go shooting with your wife. I'll bet both of you come back with huge smiles on your faces.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...el-31-1-a.html

User Tag List