Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help from those of you working in POST states

Lon,
    Who runs the academies in Ohio? How are the standards determined?

As for POST, I can't really point to "problems" per se. It's a bureaucracy, but one won't run afoul of it if one understands and follows the rules. I can't point to any cases in which they hammered anyone that didn't need hammering.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Start here:
    https://post.ca.gov/public-complaints

Our standard is pretty new. No idea how it'll play out in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Lon,
    Who runs the academies in Ohio? How are the standards determined?

As for POST, I can't really point to "problems" per se. It's a bureaucracy, but one won't run afoul of it if one understands and follows the rules. I can't point to any cases in which they hammered anyone that didn't need hammering.
    There are over 60 approved academies in the state. The biggest 5 or 6 cities all run their own academies (most allow other jurisdictions to send people through as well), as does the State Patrol. In addition, many colleges, universities and County Career Centers also have approved academies. All of these academies are required to teach the curriculum developed by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission. They can add to it, but must teach the approved curriculum at a minimum. The State has Field Agents that visit the different academies and supervise certain aspects of the training (PT test is one). At the end of the Academy, the Field Agents inspect each form, test and sign in sheet to ensure everyone passed everything and attended 100% of the mandated hours (740) of training. The Commission (10 members chosen by statute) sets the standards, incorporating training topics they feel are needed or that are mandated by legislation from the state. The Commission and the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy fall under the Attorney General’s Office.

Other than the entrance PT test, if you can buy a firearm legally, you can pretty much get into an academy. We have open enrollment academies (usually the college/university and career center ones) so you don’t have to be sponsored to get in anymore.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    What problems have you witnessed with the respective laws in your states? What parts work or what parts need fixed? Are you in favor or opposed to the process in your state?
    I left local LE some years ago, and I never saw under the hood of the decertification process, although I knew of cases in which it happened (usually due to criminal convictions, and sometimes credibility issues). I will send you a PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Start here:
    https://post.ca.gov/public-complaints

Our standard is pretty new. No idea how it'll play out in practice.
    An important issue. When I was investigated due to a complaint filed during a UOF lawsuit I learned that out Cabinet level POST agency can review an incident and retroactively suspend certification/licensure. So a complaint could be investigated, you could recieve a retroactive 30/60/90/365 day suspension of certification but it was a paper suspension, you would be notified of the complaint and investigation, but at its conclusion you could have been deemed to have served a suspension, but you would not have missed a day of work. Really, really wierd, but a fact.

Otherwise, I believe the New Mexico Administative Code is what you want. Google NMAC and Peace Officers.

pat

Site Supporter
    In PA, The Municipal Police Officers Education and training Commission holds those records and sets those standards.

https://mpoetc.psp.pa.gov/Pages/Act-57.aspx
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List