Thread: Powertac

Site Supporter

Powertac

Hav any of our flashlight gurus tested or used Powertac products? I'm considering transitioning from the Surefire Peacekeeper to the Powertac Warrior for duty use. Anything I should know before I try to kick my Surefire addiction?

My 2-cents: zero experience with Powertac, zero desire to have any.

I'd kick a Surefire addiction for Cloud Defensive, Malkoff or Modlite. If I needed to save a few bucks vs. Surefire, I'd look at Streamlight.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

But... but... but... endorsed by Yeager!

Seriously, though, I'm with @NH Shooter on this one. For serious purposes, the brands he mentioned are where I'd be spending my money.

If the Warrior G4 is what you're looking at, I'd say the 11,000 candela rating is on the low side compared to what others are doing—that's likely a very floody light, if the 4,200 lumen rating is accurate. For duty use I'd want something with a better balance of throw and spill, say 1,000-1,500 lumens and 40,000+ candela. Cloud and Modlite offer a variety of lights in that range. Having tons of spill (lumens) can be useful in certain settings, but throw (candela) is what's going to help reach out to longer distances, punch through tinted windows, etc.

Site Supporter
    With due respect to the late James Yeager, his endorsement did not sway me toward Powertac. A local police supply store (now out of business which may or may not be a clue) sold these. I purchased a couple which worked pretty well as off duty and back-up lights. Of course, what works well in casual or occasional use may not work in duty use. Consider my former department's journey with the FNS-9.

Don't expect a yard sale on my Surefire or Streamlight products until I'm completely convinced that Powertac is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Of course, what works well in casual or occasional use may not work in duty use.
    Exactly this!

Complicated UIs may have their place for casual use, but IMO are a detriment for serious use.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List