Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Equipment that you were issued/used in the past

[QUOTE=LtDave;1475723]Convertable radios where you could unplug the portable from a holder on the dash to carry it while you were out of the car. On return, you reinstalled it in the holder and you had a functioning vehicle radio. We had ones made by RCA. Searched for a photo of the RCA vehicle mount but came up empty. Here is one that worked in a similar fashion to the RCA model:

Attachment 104310

We had the GE version and I was also unable to find a pic. Ours were big and heavy and you could change the battery by twisting it off the bottom of the radio. I heard of a few batteries that were unintentionally removed when a radio made contact with a suspect's head during a scuffle.

Site Supporter
    One of my jobs right after high school was working for Auto Trader magazines (remember when there was a print magazine?) They gave me a magnetic AutoTrader sign to put on my car door, and a Polaroid camera.

Around 2004ish they upgraded to really primitive digital cameras that took 3.5in floppy disks, and would hold around 40 pictures on a disk. But those disks were good for maybe 4-5 uses in those cameras before dying so we had a tally mark on each disk for each use, and boxes upon boxes of fresh 3.5in floppies to replace them as needed.

Army side, M16A2's kept sneaking into my career as late as 2019. My favorite one ever is pictured in the A2 love thread in the rifle section.
    Otherwise a lot of first gen M4's with the burst trigger group, lightweight barrel, and the occasional first gen M68CCO, aka 1st gen Aimpoint CompM4. Otherwise it was A2 irons on an A4 style detachable carry handle that was cut just past the rear sight turret and only had the one retaining bolt left - less weight and bulk and you could mount the M68 CCO on it too and cowitness.

A few times in my career, I removed the TA51 mounts on ACOG's and used the included screw to bolt them into M16A2 carry handles. In other cases, I ordered the specific M4 style buttstock kits for the full length rifles using the NSN in the back of the manual, which made the rifles so much more usable for folks shorter than 5' 7" and wearing body armor.
    I loved surprising NCO's and leaders with the fact that yes, you could do those things with an M16A2. But I despised how much institutional fear and derp followed. So many leaders thought ACOG's were better off sitting in a locker inside an arms room instead of being mounted to rifles.

Safariland 6004's carrying M9's loaded with Check-mate magazines with stamped baseplates. Big trick with those holsters was to remove the upper thigh strap entirely and hike the whole holster further up your leg, and use the lower loop as high as you can comfortably place it. Otherwise they easily turn into a kneepad with a pistol attached for most anyone under 6' 2" or so.

Interceptor Body Armor...aka IBA's. Miserable overlapping velcro hell! The 1st gen IOTV's were so much better.
    Still had a few old school PASGT helmets floating around supply sections as late as 08-09 too.

The one I miss the most - 'Marshmallow' winter PT's. The most comfy sweats ever. I started my career with 4 sweatshirts and 4 pairs of sweatpants, but girlfriends routinely commandeered them, especially the pants.
    They got replaced around 2010 or so, with the first grey & black synthetic windbreakers and matching black pants that everyone called the 'high speed' PT's. A fantastic upgrade for doing PT, but they never got used as lounge-around-the-house clothes like the Marshmallows did.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    One of my jobs right after high school was working for Auto Trader magazines (remember when there was a print magazine?) They gave me a magnetic AutoTrader sign to put on my car door, and a Polaroid camera.

Around 2004ish they upgraded to really primitive digital cameras that took 3.5in floppy disks, and would hold around 40 pictures on a disk. But those disks were good for maybe 4-5 uses in those cameras before dying so we had a tally mark on each disk for each use, and boxes upon boxes of fresh 3.5in floppies to replace them as needed.

Sony Mavica. 640x480 resolution. We used one while I was in Detectives around '99-'04 or so. I worked reasonably well and it was very handy to be able to book a floppy into evidence. We didn't really reuse the floppies so no experience with them dying.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Those Hoyt Breakfronts were special sauce in the 70's. I was issued one with a Model 66, and then when I bought my 6" Model 28 I bought my own. Also had a Hoyt shoulder holster for the Model 28.

ETA: We were also issued dump pouches or two six round loops - seemingly at random, you had to buy your own speedloaders.

My first speed loaders were Dades, which constantly dropped rounds in the pouch, so I switched to HKS and then Safarilands.

My Model 28 is one pistol I will never sell.

Another ETA: Does anyone use basketweave leather anymore?
    Our leather is still basketweave. Many are wearing mylon now.

S&W 669 in a black basketweave 0705, citation tin, giant rubber overboots to cover the clarino shoes, radio tree in the car with only a radio-siren-switch box...
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

S&W 2" Model 15, Combat Masterpiece. (Model 36 for off-duty).

We'd drive to Gene DeSantis' home in Nassau County to pick up our leather gear...holsters, dump pouches and cuff carriers.

We had group secretaries to type reports back then...there was no word processing for a few more years...and we thought it would never catch on, typing your own reports on a computer.

Kel transmitters and Nagra recorders to secrete on our person for undercover work...which felt pretty much like this:

There's nothing civil about this war.

And for JRB:

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Pentax K1000 for crime scene photos.
    Not sure when you got it, but before the advent of DSLR cameras, those were considered very nice SLRs. I had a personal Pentax SuperProgram, which was a more automated version of the K1000, but still had the same manual focus. I used it for many years, because my parents bought it, and never learned to use it. I stopped using it in 2002, when I bought my first digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Not sure when you got it, but before the advent of DSLR cameras, those were considered very nice SLRs. I had a personal Pentax SuperProgram, which was a more automated version of the K1000, but still had the same manual focus. I used it for many years, because my parents bought it, and never learned to use it. I stopped using it in 2002, when I bought my first digital camera.
    1997 when I went through evidence tech school. Used it for a couple years before I got a nicer camera.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Nikon FM motor drive with 200mm Medical Nikor (macro focus) lens with ring light.

128 frames to a bulk load you didn't need to stop to load.

Later just before I retired we changed to Panasonc TS4 pocket digital armored, waterproof to 12m, shockproof to 2m with 8 GB SD memory card..Still have it. Great evidence quality pics even in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

I had access to several electric typewriters in the office but preferred the Wheelwriter by far. Its fancier replacement with a little LCD display typed out my last CCW permit before that move. Scored one from that office at a former employee's yard sale years later but my wife wrecked it during a move. Manuals have always been my true love in typing but I miss the sounds of an entire office typing reports with electrics. Currently trying to get the ladies at the bank to give me their Wheelwriter. It's big and taking up counter space, help me to help you.

User Tag List