Thread: Old School Farm and Woods Revolver. .32-20

Old School Farm and Woods Revolver. .32-20

I have several .32-20s which see outdoor use here in West Virginia. Mostly use flatnosed cast bullets with 3.5 grains of Bullseye to approximate factory ammo for edible small game. I see no need whatever for heavy revolver loads over 1000 fps, mild loads have good penetration and enable you to eat right up to the bullet hole.

Here are some pics of mine. If you use the .32-20 please share what you use.

Name:  20230318_145557_Burst01~2.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  32.8 KBName:  20230318_152350~2.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  pix017918704.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  23.7 KBName:  31-105T-D.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  24.8 KB
    Name:  SavageSporter32-20.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  35.0 KB

Accurate 31-105T is close approximation of factory bullets loaded in .32 Colt New Police and .32-20. Seat out long in rear crimp groove with 3 grains of Bullseye in .32 S&W Long brass to use in your .32 H&R Mag. Load 3.5 grains of Bullseye and crimp in front groove for .32-20.

Name:  32S&WLongAnd32-20.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  45.4 KB
    I have found this factory approximation load shoots accurately in both rifles and revolvers. In Savage 23 bolt action about 1200 fps and routine 3-inch open sight 100 yard groups. Velocity 850 fps in.4" revolver and approaching 1000 fps in a 6" gun with tight cylnder gap.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-30-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Love those revolvers but that's an interesting bolt action! For what small edible animals would a .32-20 be preferable over a .22LR?

I do have a Marlin 1894 from the early 80s in .32-20 that I used for a while in NRA lever action silhouette (the 100 meter game). With the Hornady XTPs in 85gr I barely had to adjust my sights from the chickens to the rams. Never had a ringer like I would occasionally with my Henry 22WMR.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Love those revolvers but that's an interesting bolt action! For what small edible animals would a .32-20 be preferable over a .22LR?

I do have a Marlin 1894 from the early 80s in .32-20 that I used for a while in NRA lever action silhouette (the 100 meter game). With the Hornady XTPs in 85gr I barely had to adjust my sights from the chickens to the rams. Never had a ringer like I would occasionally with my Henry 22WMR.
    For anything larger than cottontails and squirrels the .32-20 is far superior. Racoon, groundhogs, turkey, coyotes, foxes, bobcat, feral dogs, otter, beaver, putting down livestock, sheep, hogs, horses, cows....

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    For anything larger than cottontails and squirrels the .32-20 is far superior. Racoon, groundhogs, turkey, coyotes, foxes, bobcat, feral dogs, otter, beaver, putting down livestock, sheep, hogs, horses, cows....
    Plus the .32-20s have far more character than modern .22s.

Skeeter Skelton once wrote about a friend who moved to a remote Alaskan cabin with a Colt .32-20 as his only gun. He reportedly took everything from grouse to moose & black bear with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    When I was in HS I used to help the neighbor butcher steers. He used a 32-20 to dispatch the critters. Not sure of the model but it was a Winchester lever rifle. One shot kills.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I have never met the man, but I am relatively certain @Outpost75 has barked a squirrel before....cool looking old school guns like that.

I mean, nobody barks a squirrel with a Ruger PCC.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Barking squirrels with a Beagle for backup.

@Outpost75

Will the Colt Police Positive or S&W HE handle your load?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    @Outpost75

Will the Colt Police Positive or S&W HE handle your load?
    I would reduce the load to 3.2 grains in older pre-1918 S&Ws which are not heat treated.

Should be OK in Army Special and post-1920 Police Positives, but should not be exceeded.

User Tag List