Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSR for Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The nice thing about an MSR is you can have your deer slayer upper with a matching HD/SD/practice upper in 5.56
    I was gonna say the same thing.
    And, I am probably going to build an upper in 350 Legend, since after not deer hunting in a while I might have some renewed access to some areas here in Ohio. Even if you are not in a straight-wall cartridge state (OH, MI, IA and maybe others), you might get an opportunity to hunt in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I built my own HAM’R last year and used it to take a nice 8 point at 50ish yards. One round, saw the bullet hit thru the scope, found the deer 30 yards or so from where he was hit. 130gr HotCore destroyed all the plumbing over the heart and both lungs.

The nice thing about an MSR is you can have your deer slayer upper with a matching HD/SD/practice upper in 5.56 and shoot relatively cheap 5.56 most of the year until time for deer season tune up.
    That’s a good plan, particularly if you have the self discipline to stay at 1 lower with 2 uppers.

That was my plan, then I found a great deal on some stripped lowers. So I built the 6.8 its own lower. Then I built sone more lowers. Then uppers to go on them. Then more lowers…

Now I have a safe full of ARs. I hunt with 6.8s and 7.62x39 carbines. Either caliber would work fine. I slightly prefer the 6.8. I have both because I like options.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As someone who can’t keep up with all the new intermediate cartridges - are any of them reliable game getters out to 500 yds?

Old pic. What I started with for hunting rifle zones in VA. PSA 6.8 upper I bought on clearance. Poverty Pony lower built by me. Extremely reliable and plenty accurate for deer.

Name:  IMG_2175.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  77.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who can’t keep up with all the new intermediate cartridges - are any of them reliable game getters out to 500 yds?
    6 Arc / 224 Valkyrie / 6.5 Grendel would be for deer sized game.

Let’s be realistic, though how many people are making shots on game be on 200 yards ?

And how many people are sufficiently skilled to take an ethical hunting shot at 500 yards?

I think you’d want a 6.8 or 6.5 to reach out to 500 yards. You’d need to research performance at distance. I have no idea if you’d have the energy and bullet performance to make ethical kills on game at 500 yards with intermediate cartridges.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    6 Arc / 224 Valkyrie / 6.5 Grendel would be for deer sized game.

Let’s be realistic, though how many people are making shots on game be on 200 yards ?

And how many people are sufficiently skilled to take an ethical hunting shot at 500 yards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I think you’d want a 6.8 or 6.5 to reach out to 500 yards. You’d need to research performance at distance. I have no idea if you’d have the energy and bullet performance to make ethical kills on game at 500 yards with intermediate cartridges.
    Out in the west 300 yard shots are fairly common and while not optimal I would feel better with a round that shot flat enough and hit hard enough out to 500 yards even if I never pulled the trigger on such.

I guess what I’m really asking is are these new rounds effective replacements for the .308 in the Western US?

Out in the west 300 yard shots are fairly common and while not optimal I would feel better with a round that shot flat enough and hit hard enough out to 500 yards even if I never pulled the trigger on such.

I guess what I’m really asking is are these new rounds effective replacements for the .308 in the Western US?
    I my opinion, which is just a guy who likes to hunt, shoot rifles and reload (but doesn’t claims SME status in any of these areas) no. There are no intermediate cartridges useable in a standard AR that take the place of .308 or similar cartridges.

If you want to hunt out to 500 yards with an AR, I’d go with a small frame .308 rifle.

Site Supporter

I my opinion, which is just a guy who likes to hunt, shoot rifles and reload (but doesn’t claims SME status in any of these areas) no. There are no intermediate cartridges useable in a standard AR that take the place of .308 or similar cartridges.

If you want to hunt out to 500 yards with an AR, I’d go with a small frame .308 rifle.
    You can hit anything you want with a small cartridge/bullet at those ranges, but the intermediate cartridges are not .308-.30’06 class hunting cartridges at 500 yards. Or anything beyond 300, TBH.

Even a 6.5 Remington/Creedmoor/x55 is a better choice at that kind of distance.

I hunt exclusively in western mountains. I mostly hunt, as stated before, with a .270 b/c I want to make sure I have a rifle and cartridge that can do what needs doing as far away as I know I can hit.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-01-2023 at 03:09 PM.

When I decided to get an AR upper for hunting, I had White Oak Armament build me a 6.8 SPC II with a fluted sixteen-inch barrel and a carbon fiber hand guard. The idea was an accurate lightweight upper that could humanely take deer. I added a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5X20mm scope in a PEPR mount. The lower was a BCM "blem" with an A2 stock. The result was a pretty handy deer rifle that is easy to carry.

User Tag List