Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSR for Deer

I'm thinking that the SIG 716i Tread, judiciously equipped/upgraded could be an excellent MSR hunting choice. https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html

Or Ruger's SFAR https://ruger.com/products/sfar/models.html

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

The various 6.5/6.0/6.8 small frame calibers seem to do just fine at taking medium game at short to medium distances. If you want an actual 500 yard caliber, you should step up to an actual .308 or 6.5C.

In my experience the proper 5.56 loads from 16" barrels are plenty adequate for deer in GA up to 200 yards. Shot placement is key, and you need to actually land those hits.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The various 6.5/6.0/6.8 small frame calibers seem to do just fine at taking medium game at short to medium distances. If you want an actual 500 yard caliber, you should step up to a .270/.300 magnum class caliber.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In my experience a .223 with a 62gr Speer Gold Dot is a one-shot stopper. 3 of these were with a 14.5" barrel, one with an 11.5". Farthest shot was 110yds. By all means, build whatever you want in whatever exotic caliber you want, but so long as it's legal in your state, there's no reason a .223 with a good bullet like the Gold Dot won't do the job.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    In my experience a .223 with a 62gr Speer Gold Dot is a one-shot stopper. 3 of these were with a 14.5" barrel, one with an 11.5". Farthest shot was 110yds. By all means, build whatever you want in whatever exotic caliber you want, but so long as it's legal in your state, there's no reason a .223 with a good bullet like the Gold Dot won't do the job.

My experience as well. 64gr Gold dots/Fusions, 75gr Gold Dots, 77gr TMK, and 70gr TSX have all performed well for me. I've dropped the most deer with the 62/64gr GD/Fusion load because I bought a bunch back ~10 years ago. Switched to 75gr GD because of the stellar accuracy and it shoots the the same POI as IMI 77 factory ammo.

Recently tried Barnes 70gr TSX because it was available. Great velocity from both 12.5 and 16" barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Recently taking up old hobbies I'd relegated to later on for decades for various reasons. Was thinking Browning BAR Safari vs Benelli R1 for deer in south eastern US. But then thought why not just get an MSR and have something that can cover multiple situations, esp with current world events?

Any recommendations for an MSR that could cover deer and be good for other purposes as well? Any reasons I should just get one of the two above and forget the MSR thing? I am not looking at buying a La Rue for $4K, but if I am closing in on $1.5K for Benelli or BAR, willing to put a bit more to it if needed for additional functionality. Thanks.
    What ranges would you be shooting at? I’d look hard at a 6mmARC or 6.5 Grendel.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What ranges would you be shooting at? I’d look hard at a 6mmARC or 6.5 Grendel.
    Terrain varies. Mostly 100 yards or less with occasional longer shots in some of the more open areas, pastures, and bottomlands. Will check those two out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Out in the west 300 yard shots are fairly common and while not optimal I would feel better with a round that shot flat enough and hit hard enough out to 500 yards even if I never pulled the trigger on such.

I guess what I’m really asking is are these new rounds effective replacements for the .308 in the Western US?
    I’ll second that… our last few Elk have been engaged and taken around 300-350 meters… Western and Eastern Oregon… lots of logging clear cuts makes for decent, extended ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Terrain varies. Mostly 100 yards or less with occasional longer shots in some of the more open areas, pastures, and bottomlands. Will check those two out.
    .223 can do that all day, but if you want something for longer range/out west, I’d ponder the 6ARC or Grendel. My Larue Grendel is amazing.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    .223 can do that all day, but if you want something for longer range/out west, I’d ponder the 6ARC or Grendel. My Larue Grendel is amazing.
    I think based on what you and ASH556 posted I'm just going to try the Colt Trooper with a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 and some 62gr Speer Gold Dot. Anything below .240 used to be illegal in the area I'll be hunting and the folks in my circle will frown on it, but if it works fine, I can't see not using it since it's on hand and I'm very comfortable with the AR. Thank you both and everyone else who posted. May eventually go with some of the options presented but think I'll start in the fall with this and see how it goes.

User Tag List