Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MSR for Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I think based on what you and ASH556 posted I'm just going to try the Colt Trooper with a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 and some 62gr Speer Gold Dot. Anything below .240 used to be illegal in the area I'll be hunting and the folks in my circle will frown on it, but if it works fine, I can't see not using it since it's on hand and I'm very comfortable with the AR. Thank you both and everyone else who posted. May eventually go with some of the options presented but think I'll start in the fall with this and see how it goes.
    Gold dot and Federal Fusion use the same projectile. Fusion is sold as Fusion and "Fusion MSR". According to posted Chrono results it seems like the MSR variant has a bit higher muzzle velocity.

In my early hunting days I used a Colt 20"A2 because it's what I had and was confident with. I never lost a deer with that rifle. A modern 223 rifle with a 4x scope is more than adequate for whitetail inside of 100 yards. Be responsible with your shots and let the questionable ones pass.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Gold dot and Federal Fusion use the same projectile. Fusion is sold as Fusion and "Fusion MSR". According to posted Chrono results it seems like the MSR variant has a bit higher muzzle velocity.

In my early hunting days I used a Colt 20"A2 because it's what I had and was confident with. I never lost a deer with that rifle. A modern 223 rifle with a 4x scope is more than adequate for whitetail inside of 100 yards. Be responsible with your shots and let the questionable ones pass.
    So I also have a couple of 20" I could use as well. Not sure if the velocity difference would be worth toting an HBAR, but if so may go that route. And yes, I would not take a risky shot that may result in a crippled/lost animal. It just isn't that important to me. Esp when there are folks ready to say "told you so". I like to feel good about my hobbies. Appreciate that post.

User Tag List