Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Own a Gun With No Practical Purpose?

Do You Own a Gun With No Practical Purpose?

I own this 629-6 with 6" barrel and have no practical purpose for it. It's heavy, loud, kicks like a mule but is fun to shoot steel with at the range and look at.
    I don't hunt, reload, shoot sanctioned matches and wouldn't think of using it as a night stand gun or carry for self defense. I've got over $1K tied up in it but won't part with it. Maybe FUN is a practical reason?

Name:  PXL_20230428_185527863.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  49.8 KB
    Name:  PXL_20230428_190500296.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  PXL_20230422_211724143.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  66.1 KB

Most of my guns don’t have a practical purpose. The only ones that do are probably the Glocks I carry on and off duty and their practice/training duplicates, my home defense AR, and my 1301. Everything else is something I own because I like it and it brings me joy, whether that’s my Beretta 92 LTT or my S&W 19-5.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Yes, a North American 22S mini revolver. I bought it as it is cute. You can't hit anything reliable with it. Yes, folks have used them from deep cover to save them but I got it just because. The case might be made for the 22 LR or 22 mag versions as having utility but it would be a stretch for this guy.

Name:  micro edc.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  37.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I want one of those North American Arms top break 22 revolvers. Other than that I can’t think of anything I currently own that couldn’t be used for defense, hunting, or competition.

Site Supporter
    I think they stopped making them due to various problems of manufacture and expense.

That’s why I quit NRA “Hunters” Pistol Sihloette.

It was immensely popular in the 80’s, but dominated by TC Contenders chambered for powder-puff rounds (that was “big-bore” class) because they were mounted with short eye refined rifle scopes and fired from a “taco hold” (hence recoil had to be very low).

The gun had zero other uses. I always viewed competition as a way of honing skills for practical uses like hunting or SD.

I shot small-bore with a Model 17, which drew plenty of snickers. God help the poor slob who tried to shoot an actual hunting gun in center fire “Hunters Pistol”. They’d do their best to run you off the firing line. I wasn’t nearly as thick-skinned then as I am now.

Back in those days pistol ranges were built for Bullseye and most of the members were BE or silhouette shooters. Someone shooting a magnum revolver was not welcome and they made no secret of their contempt.

In one big club I belonged to I had to keep a copy of the rules with me because club officials were constantly trying to run me off of a particular range, saying CF revolvers we’re not allowed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Yes, a North American 22S mini revolver. I bought it as it is cute. You can't hit anything reliable with it. Yes, folks have used them from deep cover to save them but I got it just because. The case might be made for the 22 LR or 22 mag versions as having utility but it would be a stretch for this guy.

I think technically the magnum 40gr FMJ rounds will do more than 12" in ordnance gel.

Name:  naa.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  91.2 KB

Shooting on an indoor range I assume the adjacent lanes are thinking this

Site Supporter
    I shot a NAA 22 magnum between two side partitions in an indoor range and thought I blew up. I felt the blast wave come under my hat and glasses. Slammed my eyes shut! Then peaked out.

I have the same Spyderco Ladybug. That one and a yellow Salt. Great little knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

An ancient S&W Model 1 1/2 .32 Rimfire certainly qualifies
    Name:  S&W .32.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  38.6 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List