Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Own a Gun With No Practical Purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think technically the magnum 40gr FMJ rounds will do more than 12" in ordnance gel.

Attachment 104123

Shooting on an indoor range I assume the adjacent lanes are thinking this
    I had a 3 3/8" Automag II when I was really too broke to be buying firearms. Per the letter from the factory to the previous owner that came with it (he'd sent it back because it wouldn't run), they only guaranteed function with Winchester Super-X (IIRC).

I only put a few mags through it before I had to sell it to pay for some bill but every shot felt like a flash-bang going off at the end of my arm.

Name:  automag II.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  26.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This one, maybe:

Attachment 104183
    I can hear @Lex Luthier panting from here.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This one, maybe:

Attachment 104183
    Fun fact: for many years a Krag (just like that one) was my backup deer hunting gun, in case my 1903 Springfield (sporterized) called it quits.

I have not seen factory ammo in a store in quite some time, but I do have brass and dies.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Oh hell yes, practically all of them.

But the one that best fits this description is my original Cz Skorpion:

Name:  PXL_20230501_151858311.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  52.6 KB

I saw a picture of one as a kid and fell in love - the weird over-folder brace, the curved mag, the wooden grip...it just screams out its place in history. It always makes me think of 1970s euro-commie bank heists and I love it. The fact that it only feeds round-nosed .32s which have to be about the least useful round on the planet is only a minor issue.

I like to tell people that a full mag of RN .32s out of this thing is technically equivalent to a blast of 00 buck. I do this because it is the Skorpion's only chance of ever making anyone's head explode.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    If you going to go NAA - might as well go all the way for impractically:

https://northamericanarms.com/produc.../firearms/ccc/Name:  Gold Naa.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  31.6 KB

I had a product design journal once that discussed the aesthetics of gun designs and had a jewel encrusted NAA for many thousands. Discussed how Glock portrayed evil and murderous intent.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-01-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If you going to go NAA - might as well go all the way for impractically:

https://northamericanarms.com/produc.../firearms/ccc/Name:  Gold Naa.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  31.6 KB

I had a product design journal once that discussed the aesthetics of gun designs and had a jewel encrusted NAA for many thousands. Discussed how Glock portrayed evil and murderous intent.
    Don't they make a cap&ball black powder version?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Don't they make a cap&ball black powder version?
    They did but I thought it was discontinued. It was absolutely on my wantsies list when I couldn't afford one.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

On a related note, I do have the odd wantsies for a .32 Cap & Ball revolver.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    They did but I thought it was discontinued. It was absolutely on my wantsies list when I couldn't afford one.
    https://northamericanarms.com/produc...arms/cap-ball/

Looks like about $300 list depending on model and kit...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    https://northamericanarms.com/produc...arms/cap-ball/

Looks like about $300 list depending on model and kit...
    For what it’s worth, the cap & ball mini was Dick Casull’s first gun design. The prototype was made in his high school metal shop class, If I remember the early 1980s interview correctly. It is very cool that it’s still available.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List