Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time with da/sa

First time with da/sa

Ive been wanting to try da/sa for a long time. Yesterday I was close to a gun store with rentals and got to shoot a 226 and a 229 with red dot.
    I was surprised how big the grip was, how long the reach was to the trigger and how easy the trigger was to manipulate. It worked well for my xxl hands.
    I really wanted to shoot the PX4cc or any model of the PX4 but they didn’t have one.
    I sold my 320s and picked up a couple gen 5s a 26 and a 45 red dot plus gadgets but honestly I hate them and have shot them maybe once or twice. Im definately interested in moving away from striker fired. Mostly all I carry anymore is a J frame.
    A few years ago I thought I was going to buy a CZ that had been through their custom shop but coon fingering it at the counter theres no way Im going to carry that light of a trigger and it was just really weird all the movement that had almost no feedback plus the single action was way too light.
    Actually I havent shot much at all in the last few years usually going to the range only when someone else needs to be taken to the range.
    So with all that said just looking for input maybe theres something Im not thinking of.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Where are you located? I'll bet there's a bunch of people on here that would bring a suitcase full of guns for you to try.

If you liked the Sig P series, take a look at the SP2022 the latest evolution of the SigPro, for the price it is quite a nice gun if the Sig action works for you. A friend with XXL hands loves his.

Also the world is still awash in Sig P series police trades on Gunbroker that have been shot very little.

CZ P-07 as it comes out of the box is a nice gun. The Cajun GW guys certainly tune those up well.

I will say that I think the out of the box DA/SA HK's are the worst DA trigger out there. The LEM is a different animal, but I could never warm up to any of the HK DA/SA configurations.

You having XXL hands pretty much opens up all options I think. My hands are not very big, so the Sig P226/229 DA/SA really don't work very well for me (I really like them though). I would explore those models more for sure. Not sure what kind of custom CZ you handled back then, but take a look at what they have these days. The SP-01 Tac, P01, P07 and P09 are outstanding and have all served me very well.

Also, do not leave out Beretta 92 series. There are so many options now and all excellent. The Elite LTT (with trigger work by LTT) is my number one choice.

Like previously mentioned, where are you located? I am sure there are some people that would love to let you do some test drives.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    ...A few years ago I thought I was going to buy a CZ that had been through their custom shop but coon fingering it at the counter theres no way Im going to carry that light of a trigger and it was just really weird all the movement that had almost no feedback plus the single action was way too light.
    There's an approach to tuning CZ-75s that involves altering the angle of the sear so that it's nearly flat, resulting in a very light pull with little or no wall. In some cases, the trigger won't even return after partially pulling it in SA (yikes!). Not all the guns that come from CZ Custom are like this, but some are. I think it's an abomination, and I would never own a gun like that.

IMO a better approach is to leave the sear alone, reduce the weight of the hammer spring, add a "competition" hammer, and few more parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ...CZ P-07 as it comes out of the box is a nice gun. The Cajun GW guys certainly tune those up well.
    One reason I like the P-07 so much is that the Omega action (fundamentally different from the CZ-75) is designed in such a way that the DA pull weight can be reduced independently from the SA pull. The total travel of the trigger can be made shorter as well.

The P-07 isn't a great choice for XXL hands though.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    See if you can find an opportunity to try a Beretta. The DA trigger pulls on the 92’s I have tried were among the nicest DA auto triggers I have tried, and I assume the PX4 would be similar.

CZ DA/SAs don't have light triggers as you're describing, unless they have been modified. The compacts (P01, PCR, P07) might have too small of a grip for you. It sounds like the Sig P line (or HK) might work ergo wise. I owned a Px4 and was initially in love with it, but as the novelty faded I sold it - the same has happened with all DA/SAs, except for my P01. I would say don't sell your Glocks until you've owned a DA/SA pistol for a while and put significant rounds through it.

EDIT: I'd also consider trying out a CZ SP01 Tactical.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

I put a Beretta D-spring in my PX4 compact. The double action trigger pull is really sweet. In fact, the pull has been reduced to the point that I would be ok with the pistol as a double action only trigger. It's been 100% reliable with the D-spring.

Yeah, learning to shoot DA/SA triggers really isnt the big deal many make it out to be.

Particularly if you have lots of trigger time with a J frame, learning to shoot any DA/SA should be easy.

Given your big hands I would definitely try out a PX4 or 92, both have larger grip circumfrences than the average service pistol.
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 04-29-2023 at 01:41 PM.

I broke into handguns with the SA 1911, after years of that transitioned to the Sig P series 220/229 and latter transitioned over to Striker fire Glocks. In my personal life I had quite a bit of all of them DA/SA, SAO and striker, it got to a point were staying proficient with all three triggers systems was becoming a chore. I had to make a decision and let one go, striker wasn’t going anywhere used them for work and my love of 1911s meant I could never let SAO go. Decided to disinvest from DA/SA, I do have a CZ SP-01 but only use it in SA. There seems to be a small resurgence in DA/SA going on and that’s a good thing.

User Tag List