Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry pistols that are fun to shoot?

I really, really like shooting both my carry guns:

the soft-shooting PX4 Compact Carry (plus I like the extra fiddlyness of a TDA gun)

the I-can-shoot-magnums-if-I-want-to out of a concealed carry rig of the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp (plus it's got the extra fiddlyness of a revolver... hmm, I sense a theme here)
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

HK USP 45 , USP 9.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I really, really like shooting both my carry guns:

the soft-shooting PX4 Compact Carry (plus I like the extra fiddlyness of a TDA gun)

the I-can-shoot-magnums-if-I-want-to out of a concealed carry rig of the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp (plus it's got the extra fiddlyness of a revolver... hmm, I sense a theme here)

Striker guns are very very not fiddly, it's true...

Name:  IMG_7923.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  35.5 KB

S&W 43c. It is a J-Frame that doesn't hurt to shoot.

I agree. My daughter enjoyed shooting mine (and she shot it pretty well) so I bought her one and an Enigma for her birthday. I’m wearing mine right now as I stopped to eat on the way home from yoga class. I don’t normally carry a 22 but for this application it works.

The one carry gun I run that is not fun to shoot is my Ruger LCR 38. Most of the others, I would not really use the word fun, but more along the lines of pleasant. Those would be my P365XL and M&P Shield 9. Now, I do carry a CZ P07 for a certain duty and I do consider it fun to shoot.

Easy to answer: Full-Govt.-size, all-steel 1911, with the junction of the trigger guard and front strap relieved, to allow the weapon to fit lower into the hand than a standard 1911. Undercut front sight. Bo-Mar-type rear sight. Here is such a sight set-up:

https://www.lesbaer.com/CMP.html

The GI type grip safety would not be best for comfort, during extended sessions, but that link shows the sights I like, and I have aged-out of extended shooting sessions.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I clicked on this thread wondering if I'd be the first to essentially say "1911 = fun carry gun." Figured I wouldn't be.

To bounce off both this and another previous post, a 1911 plus JMCK gear makes for a pretty great concealable carry setup with a gun that (almost) everyone likes to shoot.
    ^^^ This. It s far less weighty for me to carry a 1811 in an AIWB JMCK holster than a "behind the hip" IWB holster like a Cozy Partner. I feel the weight of that 1911 after a few hours in a hip holster.

To be fair, compared to a 1911, a 3" K-frame in an AIWB holster feels like a featherweight.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I can carry my 1911Sc SW Commander in an OWB and it's not bad. I like to shoot it. However, it doesn't offer me more for EDC than my G26, which is more comfortable.

Given Karl Rehn's analysis of shooting performance of smaller guns, even by experts, you actually have to shoot these a bit. I do remember taking down a popper at distance and getting applause from the guys at a match. Also, we used to run a short range match in TX but throw in a longer range mandatory head shot with a big penalty for a miss. The rationale was that you were the only one standing between the bomb carrying terrorist so take the shot. Made it both with a 642 and a G42. Again, you have to shoot the actual small gun. Practice with the big honker may not transfer completely. That's what we see here in the carry matches.

Of course, there is a guy who show up in gamer rig and gets BOO'ED! One guy showed up with his PCC (an AR styled 9mm) to shoot the carry match. He was fast and accurate but so what. Missed the spirit of the match. He did have trouble though negotiating the tighter spaced targets and passages.

Now, I wouldn't shoot the match with my NAA 22S though.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    The Sig 365 .380 I have is very pleasant to shoot. It really is like shooting a .22.

Granted, it's a .380 so, yeah, there's that.

User Tag List