Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Carry pistols that are fun to shoot?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    A magnum frame J in all steel, such as my 60-9, can be fun with most .38 loads. I pretend it isn’t really chambered in .357. It is heavier than an Airweight, which makes it less good as a pocket gun, but it is a nice, light, compact, easy to carry belt gun.
    The only snubbie that remains here is a loose but reliable spurless SP101. The all-steel construction and slightly larger overall size (compared to a J-frame) makes a huge difference in recoil abatement. I don't care to run any .357's through it anymore, but with target wadcutters/below +P level .38 Specials, it is actually pleasant to shoot, though the hard (for me) to use sights keep it from being a "fun" gun.

It is not the best for pants pocket carry, but is doable in a pocket holster if I use the right belt or suspenders to keep things from ending up around my ankles; it is good for carry in most of my jacket or coat pockets, as well as overalls.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    After years of shooting/carrying 1911's, and then thinning out the herd to go to mostly striker-fired pistols, this is the one I kept. Build by Cylinder & Slide. BTW recently read that their founder Bill Laughridge retired and they're closing down this year.

Attachment 104162
    That’s awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I can't say that I enjoy shooting my EDC 365. Even with the Wilson grip, it feels like a micro.
    Have to agree, though I like the 365 platform and have a pair of XL's plus a TacOps, I sold my "classic" 365. Just couldn't get a good grip on it, and by the time you went through all the steps to extend the grip or adding 12rd mags with a sleeve, etc, it was like why not just go to an XL and get the extra barrel length too? Also it didn't really work for me as a pocket pistol, I know some here have made that work but it was just slightly too large to be an efficient pocket carry and safe draw.

Wilson Combat SFT 9

CZ 75 Shadowline Compact

CZ SP01 SDP2

Banned
    I really enjoy my Staccato C2. Then again, it is objectively the best subcompact gun available.

I’m old enough to remember the “carry gun” definition of yore: a gun that in some way has been modified—or compromised—in order to make it more “carryable.” Early examples might be, say, a 50’s lightweight Colt Commander, or 3” round butt K-frames, or an early Colt DS or pocket pistol, or even “shopkeeper” SAAs.

Seen through that lens, a G17 or a Gov’t 1911–both guns that I find great fun to shoot—aren’t really “carry guns,” rather, those are Service Pistols that one can get away with carrying on private time. I supposed an argument can be made for the new Ruger 1911 Gov’t with the aluminum frame—I suspect that my copy will be plenty fun to shoot.

But with lightweight 1911s on one extreme, and something like a Seecamp on the other, here’s my personal list for “fun:”

1911s with an aluminum (or poly, as in RR’s poly) frame. Very fun. Even the officer guns, if they work. An officer’s in 9mm is Donkey Kong/Mario brothers’ level fun.

3” six-shot revolvers, eg, my S&W 65-3 RB 3” or my 856 Executive, or the new Colt King Cobra. AIWB peeps can extend that barrel an inch, so long as the carry compromise rule is in effect with a round but (or, in the case of an M12, RB and alloy frame!).
    I love a smooth, 6-shot DA wheelie: my favorite guns.

The G26 sort of makes the cut for me, mostly because, while not exactly riotous fun, it’s fun enough in a Calvinistic, Glock sort of way—and is the very definition of “carry gun.”

I have to leave J-frames off the list—and this is coming from a guy who still has 6 of them. Reason being: they’re a bit more like work to shoot, than fun. Don’t get me wrong, a trip to the range with a couple of J-frames beats an email from admin any day, but I take J-frames to almost every outing to do the work. I don’t mind the all-steel iterations, but they’re still not all that silly fun to run. I don’t like shooting lightweight guns at all. I do it, because: super-efficient tool; proficiency. And I can run a J-frame, make no mistake. But shooting them is like the last reps in the last set on pull-up day. I do it through gritted teeth because it’s good for me.

Similar, but to much less extent, is micro 9s like a G43. They’re fine, but I don’t really enjoy running one in a class, or punching paper with one. I admit that they can be a good compromise tool though.

That leaves, surprisingly, the .380. I have always enjoyed shooting .380s, from my earliest memories shooting my dad’s war-era Beretta ‘34 up to today’s locked breech micro guns—almost all of which I’ve owned or shot. I like shooting the bigger guns, like the later Beretta Cheetahs or the Sig P232, and I like shooting the popcorn-light guns like the Sig P238 or Kahr P380.

But the ultimate “fun carry gun” for me is the Glock 42. It’s the moto guzzi of pocket pistols: nowhere near the raw power of the more brawny competition in the size range, but it’s got enough to be fun, the guns provide great feedback to the operator, and have loads more character than one would expect by looking at the little bricks. A G42 is astonishingly accurate, has recoil so soft that Dr. Ruth could shoot it WHO, but yet still has enough ‘kick’ to be fun. The later iterations run and run. It’s super-compact, but not absurdly so.

Honest to God, if I was a wealthy man, I’d buy .380 by the case weekly and use G42s for 22LR style plinking at tennis balls, beer cans, and every sort of polymer reactive target that one can buy, just to end each day of the work week. I’d leave Saturday for J frame work—as penance for all the grins that shooting unlimited .380 acp through the 42 would provide.

Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-01-2023 at 11:51 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    I really enjoy my Staccato C2. Then again, it is objectively the best subcompact gun available.
    While Staccatos and other doublestack 1911 style guns are definitely fun to shoot, the C2 is not a subcompact gun unless you’re the size of Andre the Giant. It’s bigger than a Glock 19 sized gun which the industry considers a “compact” size.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m old enough to remember the “carry gun” definition of yore: a gun that in some way has been modified—or compromised—in order to make it more “carryable.” Early examples might be, say, a 50’s lightweight Colt Commander, or 3” round butt K-frames, or an early Colt DS or pocket pistol, or even “shopkeeper” SAAs.

Seen through that lens, a G17 or a Gov’t 1911–both guns that I find great fun to shoot—aren’t really “carry guns,” rather, those are Service Pistols that one can get away with carrying on private time. I supposed an argument can be made for the new Ruger 1911 Gov’t with the aluminum frame—I suspect that my copy will be plenty fun to shoot.

But with lightweight 1911s on one extreme, and something like a Seecamp on the other, here’s my personal list for “fun:”

1911s with an aluminum (or poly, as in RR’s poly) frame. Very fun. Even the officer guns, if they work. An officer’s in 9mm is Donkey Kong/Mario brothers’ level fun.

3” six-shot revolvers, eg, my S&W 65-3 RB 3” or my 856 Executive, or the new Colt King Cobra. AIWB peeps can extend that barrel an inch, so long as the carry compromise rule is in effect with a round but (or, in the case of an M12, RB and alloy frame!).

The G26 sort of makes the cut for me, mostly because, while not exactly riotous fun, it’s fun enough in a Calvinistic, Glock sort of way—and is the very definition of “carry gun.”

I have to leave J-frames off the list—and this is coming from a guy who still has 6 of them. Reason being: they’re a bit more like work to shoot, than fun. Don’t get me wrong, a trip to the range with a couple of J-frames beats an email from admin any day, but I take J-frames to almost every outing to do the work. I don’t mind the all-steel iterations, but they’re still not all that silly fun to run. I don’t like shooting lightweight guns at all. I do it, because: super-efficient tool; proficiency. And I can run a J-frame, make no mistake. But shooting them is like the last reps in the last set on pull-up day. I do it through gritted teeth because it’s good for me.

Similar, but to much less extent, is micro 9s like a G43. They’re fine, but I don’t really enjoy running one in a class, or punching paper with one. I admit that they can be a good compromise tool though.

That leaves, surprisingly, the .380. I have always enjoyed shooting .380s, from my earliest memories shooting my dad’s war-era Beretta ‘34 up to today’s locked breech micro guns—almost all of which I’ve owned or shot. I like shooting the bigger guns, like the later Beretta Cheetahs or the Sig P232, and I like shooting the popcorn-light guns like the Sig P238 or Kahr P380.

But the ultimate “fun carry gun” for me is the Glock 42. It’s the moto guzzi of pocket pistols: nowhere near the raw power of the more brawny competition in the size range, but it’s got enough to be fun, the guns provide great feedback to the operator, and have loads more character than one would expect by looking at the little bricks. A G42 is astonishingly accurate, has recoil so soft that Dr. Ruth could shoot it WHO, but yet still has enough ‘kick’ to be fun. The later iterations run and run. It’s super-compact, but not absurdly so.

Honest to God, if I was a wealthy man, I’d buy .380 by the case weekly and use G42s for 22LR style plinking at tennis balls, beer cans, and every sort of polymer reactive target that one can buy, just to end each day of the work week. I’d leave Saturday for J frame work—as penance for all the grins that shooting unlimited .380 acp through the 42 would provide.

Amen. I may steal your idea if I ever strike it rich. I get that same level of enjoyment from the P365 in .380. If it continues to run well for me, I see no reason to ever be unarmed. And that includes during a nap, which I have done with the 365 .380 on in a DSG hitchhiker and forgotten it was there. The only downside is the cost of ammo.
    Lacking Gravitas

I enjoy shooting my P30SK. Usually use the +0 angled baseplate so I can squeeze all my fingers on there. Good carryover from the P30/P30L on grip and controls.

It's a little more jumpy than the full-size but in a "lively" way, not an uncontrollable or painful way.

Now that it's got 12-round flush-fit mags I'm shooting it more and starting to rationalize a backup in my head, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

Lotsa truth here. I even like the LCP Custom… the skinny one with the good sights. Liked it enough that I got another with a green laser to have one for each pocket. And with the correct recoil springs they’re super enjoyable to shoot too.

User Tag List