Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry pistols that are fun to shoot?

Carry pistols that are fun to shoot?

There are so many choices for carry pistol these days. Which is your favorite to actually shoot? I recently rented a S&W air weight J frame and that thing was NO fun to shoot. After 10 rounds I returned it to the gun counter and rented a larger/heavier revolver just to use up the ammo I had to purchase from the rental range. The was my first time shooting a small revolver and I quickly learned that semi-auto is the way to go for me. I have enjoyed shooting the G26 and G19, but the only single stack I have experience with is the original S&W shield, which is meh...okay, but not particularly fund to shoot IMO. Which semi auto carry guns do you have the most fun with at the range?
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

The Wilson combat XL grip has made my P365 a lot more fun to shoot.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Site Supporter
    Definitely my Beretta 92X compact with the RDO slide.

The full size 92 LTT RDO is also a carry gun I enjoy shooting.

Yes, they're big guns to carry, but I can pull them off in shorts and a T shirt with that JMCK magic

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My G26 is fun to shoot. Surprisingly, I find my 642 fun to shoot in carry gun matches. It is a bit of a challenge which I enjoy. The G26 is not a challenge, in our close range carry match, I only had 1 C. Of course, at my glacial pace, it is to be expected.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    There are so many choices for carry pistol these days. Which is your favorite to actually shoot? I recently rented a S&W air weight J frame and that thing was NO fun to shoot. After 10 rounds I returned it to the gun counter and rented a larger/heavier revolver just to use up the ammo I had to purchase from the rental range. The was my first time shooting a small revolver and I quickly learned that semi-auto is the way to go for me. I have enjoyed shooting the G26 and G19, but the only single stack I have experience with is the original S&W shield, which is meh...okay, but not particularly fund to shoot IMO. Which semi auto carry guns do you have the most fun with at the range?
    It’s all a trade off. Heavier gun and wimpier ammo soaks up recoil better.

Doesn’t have to be a carry gun to improve skills at the range.

I get injured if I shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through light hand guns so it’s counterproductive for training for me.

So I practice with competition guns and wimpy ammo and check skills with carry guns.

It translates over.

I compete with Shadow2s and carry ProGrade P-07s. To me, both are equally fun to shoot and I keep thinking about shooting a uspsa match with the carry gun. Maybe soon.

My carry ammo is subsonic HST147, very similar in feel to my 125gr reloads.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have a 638 J-frame that I love to shoot with wadcutters. Recoil is much softer than say an LCP Max, which stings my hand similarly to the 638 with full power 38 special. My top pick would be an Apex M&P. So much fun to shoot since it makes you feel like a much better shooter. Inspires confidence with new shooters in my experience of letting non-shooters try my M&P.

Now it's not necessarily a carry gun (unless you like OWB), but the Glock 17L is a joy to shoot.

I’ll throw my hat into the ring and say all steel government length 1911s.

I like carrying them too.

Name:  D9BA1CE3-3303-42B8-91EE-5D39D070BAA0.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  101.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    The Wilson combat XL grip has made my P365 a lot more fun to shoot.
    How so? I’m carrying a 365 XL with the stock grip and as a carry gun it’s awesome. At the range after 200 rounds I’m kind of done with it.

I’ve thought about getting a 320 to enjoy practice a little more, but I’m not sold on them yet.

Fun usually means 1911 to me.

Site Supporter
    BTW, I've shot the 50 round carry match with a 642 and WWB 135 gr FMJ. It's doable. Same with a Claude Werner snubby class. It's doable, if a old fart like me can do it and my hand is fine. Granted people have different abilities. If you are going to carry a gun, you have to shoot it with close to watch you carry at least once in awhile. Did a 100 round IDPA match with it and then switched to a G42 for a second run with 380 WWB. I survived.

Clint Smith says: “It's not designed to be comfortable....it's designed to be comforting!"

Granted 1000s of rounds might be bad for hands and wrists as we know but one should shoot the real deal enough to know how it goes.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List