Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA & Magazine

LEOSA & Magazine

Is a LEOSA retiree allowed to carry/possess a grreater than a 30 round magazine?

Someone will be along to correct me if I screw this up. You’re bound by whatever the local magazine restrictions are is your carrying under Leosa. It covers the gun and duty ammo but not magazine capacity.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Someone will be along to correct me if I screw this up. You’re bound by whatever the local magazine restrictions are is your carrying under Leosa. It covers the gun and duty ammo but not magazine capacity.

Jason
    This is correct. LEOSA defines the firearms as the gun and ammunition. The statute makes no mention of the magazines. If the jurisdiction you’re traveling to has a magazine capacity restriction, such as NY and NJ with 10 rounds for example, you are limited to that capacity when you are there.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    This is correct. LEOSA defines the firearms as the gun and ammunition. The statute makes no mention of the magazines. If the jurisdiction you’re traveling to has a magazine capacity restriction, such as NY and NJ with 10 rounds for example, you are limited to that capacity when you are there.
    LEOSA covers the firearm, not ammunition and magazines. Must abide by local laws concerning mag capacity and ammunition type (namely NJ).

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    LEOSA covers the firearm, not ammunition and magazines. Must abide by local laws concerning mag capacity and ammunition type (namely NJ).
    That is not correct. Any federally legal handgun ammunition is lawful under LEOSA and, further, NJ was ordered, following a suit by FLEOA and the FOP to desist in their efforts to stop qualified individuals from carrying hollow point ammo. I'll post a link shortly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    The Law Enforcement Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 amended the original LEOSA to include ammunition (as well as multiple other changes not necessarily pertinent to this thread):

(e) As used in this section— (1) the term ‘‘firearm’’—
    (A) except as provided in this paragraph, has the same meaning as in section 921 of this title;
    (B) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Fed- eral law or subject to the provisions of the National Fire- arms Act
    ETA: looks like @blues beat me to it.

Last edited by blues; 05-01-2023 at 06:49 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The last time I visited Washington DC, about 7 years ago, they limited you to 10 round mags and you could only carry one spare.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    The last time I visited Washington DC, about 7 years ago, they limited you to 10 round mags and you could only carry one spare.
    Yes and no. The 10 round mag limit yes.

That DC code on 20 total rounds was very specific to persons carrying firearms using a concealed carry license. It would not be applicable to QLEOs carrying under LEOSA.

It's also no longer in effect.

"DC Code 2343.1: A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    This may be worth nothing and wrong but a retired NYS cop, shooting buddy tells me that he is not capacity restricted.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List