Thread: Extended drop-in hand guards?

Extended drop-in hand guards?

I currently have an M4-style polymer handguard and an A2 sight but I'd like to add some real estate for a more forward, 1 o'clock mounted light (currently have an under-barrel Elezeta A2 light mount). Anyway, I was looking at changing to a free-float m-lock handguard but it's a little out of my budget for this gun due to all the extras involved (new gas block, new sight, labor, etc). As an alternative, I came across a UTG Pro Super Slim 15" AR-15 Drop-in Handguard, part #MTU0015SS . With it, I can just keep my A2 front sight, use existing parts, and there's less labor cost. My use is range fun out to 50 yds and home defense not past 25 yds. Pros and cons to the drop-in solution? Thanks.

If you’re using this rifle for home defense or any other application in which your life is at stake, don’t buy any UTG components. Several other companies make handguards that use the USGI barrel nut and have cutouts to be used with a FSB. Troy and Centurion Arms are two. The Troy stuff is going to be less expensive than the Centurion stuff.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I'd look at the Midwest Industries two piece FF extended carbine handguard.

Their products are a good value, should be easy installation, and better quality than UTG.

I can only talk about Troy because I have their rails. I got their 10” DROP IN QUAD BATTLE RAIL over 20 years ago to put on my rifle that had a carbine length gas system. It’s a 2 pieces design that clamp onto the milspec barrel not. Due to budget and simplicity, I simply cut off the top of the front sight, turning it into a low-pro gas block. I kept this setup for about 10 years and several thousands of rounds before deciding to upgrade to a new barrel and actual low-pro gas block, but I kept the rail.

Just this year, I decided to upgrade from quad to MLok and went with the one piece Troy SOCC rail. This was also a drop in procedure IF you already have the low pro gas block. It simply slides over the barrel and uses some wedge bolts that work with the milspec barrel nut.

PM me if your interested in my old quad rail!

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I currently have an M4-style polymer handguard and an A2 sight but I'd like to add some real estate for a more forward, 1 o'clock mounted light (currently have an under-barrel Elezeta A2 light mount). Anyway, I was looking at changing to a free-float m-lock handguard but it's a little out of my budget for this gun due to all the extras involved (new gas block, new sight, labor, etc). As an alternative, I came across a UTG Pro Super Slim 15" AR-15 Drop-in Handguard, part #MTU0015SS . With it, I can just keep my A2 front sight, use existing parts, and there's less labor cost. My use is range fun out to 50 yds and home defense not past 25 yds. Pros and cons to the drop-in solution? Thanks.
    I’ve got one of these sitting n a drawer that I will NEVER use. Cover shipping and it’s yours.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/troy-tr...a-cx-rail.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve got one of these sitting n a drawer that I will NEVER use. Cover shipping and it’s yours.

That’s an awesome offer. I truly love this community.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

I was gonna suggest a MagPul Slimline, but ya can’t beat this offer
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List