Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RFI: Things to do in Southern Main in late July

Site Supporter
    Acadia National Park is wonderful, and small enough to see everything in a couple of days. Seawall Campground in the southern part of Mount Desert Island is a great, out of the way spot, close to Southwest Harbor (which is one of several nice small towns on the island). If you can, hike Mount Cadillac on a clear day (before dawn if you want to be among the first in the US to see the sun rise) and bike the carriage roads.

Hike to your heart's content; there are lots of trails appropriate for different energy levels. Across from Bar Harbor (a tiny town in the grand scheme of things, but the main hub on MDI) is Bar Island, which has some hiking trails and is accessible via sand bar at low tide. It's a fun way to spend a couple of hours without going far from restaurants and amenities; just keep an eye on the tides so you don't get stranded.

Getting out on the water would be fun too, whether by sea kayak, sailboat, or whale watching tour boat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any thoughts or experience with Acadia NP?

looks like there's 3 campgrounds (a fourth requires a ferry or boat?). 1 of those is considered to be on the "mainland".

Wife might be interested in trying to get a spot, but there's a lot to figure out with three campgrounds, multiple loops, etc.
    We went to Acadia about a year ago. Late May the crowds weren't bad, but I have no idea about July. The top of Cadillac Mountain is one of the all-time beautiful places I've been.

Site Supporter
    As was said, I would recommend riding the carriage paths and Cadalac mountain. Hike if you can, if not go early because it will get crowded. There's good shore line for tidepooling, and beaches for swimming, but the water is cold!

Pics had taken from the top https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ia#post1355640

User Tag List