Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Things to do in Southern Main in late July

RFI: Things to do in Southern Main in late July

I may have occasion to spend a week driving from Newport, RI to around the "Great Pond" or Belgrade area. Could extend a little further north but need to depart RI on a Monday and arrive in that area on Friday.

I want to bypass/skip/go-around Boston for this one. and unless otherwise necessary skip Mass altogether. I see that the route would take us through the tip of NH so I'd be up for stops around there.

Major towns appear to be Portland Maine, Portsmouth NH... not sure I see a lot else.

We'll be in our campervan, which can part in a normal parking spot but also means we can camp if there's locations worth camping and/or weather is pleasant-ish (bearing in mind we're Floridians, so "hot" for us is not a big deal).

Looking for things like sporting clays opportunities, dining and/or drinking establishments, particularly nice hotels or resorts, nature/hiking type stuff, etc.

ETA:
    possibly need to know closest decent airport to the Belgrade area as well.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

lots of great restaurants in downtown Portsmouth and Portland. Both are historic and walkable. Portland will be absolutely packed in July

Fort McClary is right by Kittery Maine and is a nice spot to spend an hour or two.

I recommend driving about an hour up north and visit Bath, Maine. The Maine Maritime Museum there is fantastic, and you can take a boat tour from there that will take you up the Kennebec River and next to Bath Iron Works where they build warships for the US Navy

Also, Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery is one of the most popular restaurants in the area. It's definitely good, but it is obviously very popular with tourists too (big lines)
    Last edited by shootist26; 04-26-2023 at 12:12 PM.

I highly recommend getting off the interstate onto US 1. If you’re on I-95 or I-495 get off at MA 110 and head east past 1 to 1A, and head north from Salisbury Beach. It will be a leisurely drive through a small section of MA and then NH’s compact seacoast. (You’ll pass a great titty bar, too. Ahem.) Turn right when you hit 1B, it’s a pleasant little loop closer to the shore in that area with a lot of history and character, and it will dump you out into Portsmouth by Strawberry Banke historic site. There are a lot of great restaurants in Portsmouth.

From there, head north on 1 into Maine. Kittery Trading Post is worth a stop. Heading north my suggestion is to turn right on Southside Rd. and drive past a picturesque lobster dock called “Off The Boat Lobsters” on the way to picking up a different 1A in York. York Beach is a classic New England beach town, and York Beach and Nubble Light are both worth stops. Watch your map and follow the through roads closest to the water on the way to Oguniquit. (Say hi to Frannie and Harold while you’re there.) North of that, you have Wells and Kennebunkport, keep following the coast (ME 9 is a good drive) but I’m less familiar with that.

Bath is worth a stop, and a good place to visit near there is the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railroad museum. It’s an operating two foot narrow gauge museum.

Retrace your path coming back on 1 between Ogunquit and York you’ll pass a true Maine original - Flo’s Hot Dogs. Get a Flo’s Original or two, just trust me.

Stay off I-95 as much as you can!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Stay off I-95 as much as you can!
    that would for sure be the plan!

appreciate the suggestions!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Almost forgot. This classic hotel is on the NH route I mentioned between York and Portsmouth. I’ve always wanted to stay there.

Wentworth by the Sea: https://www.opalcollection.com/wentworth
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

From Brunswick, ME, head south on ME 24 to Orr and Bailey’s Island, then over to Harpswell.

Site Supporter
    We visit Maine frequently in late July/early august. (I have a conference that happens in Waterville)

We have a couple of favorite places.

Maine Brewing Company in Freeport. Excellent Pizza and beer. Highly recommended. Worth making a reservation if you are a fan or pizza and/or beer.

Right down the road from MBC is Maine Distilleries. Cold River Vodka and Gin. The blueberry vodka is magical.

Ft. Williams Park just outside of Portland is beautiful. And Bite into Maine has a food truck there with a good lobster roll. We like it for lunch on a pretty day. (Food truck isn't cheap, but lots of lobster)

Also a fan of Holy Donut in Portland. Not a must, but a good breakfast!

The Maine Lobster festival is the first week of August. Don't know if you have flexibility in your visit, but that's a great time if you like lobster.

We enjoyed the Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay Harbor one year. Not something we do every year.

Bangor is more central, but driving past Stephen King's former house is fun. Bangor is a neat little town as well.

We've never been more north than Bangor.

Freeport and LL Bean are places I like to hit when in southern Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post

We've never been more north than Bangor.
    I lived in Caribou for about eight years. You can drive north on I-95 from Bangor to the end of I-95 at Houlton, and at certain times of the year and day, and practically not see another car on the entire trip.

Just stay away from Derry.

User Tag List