Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye protection advice

For striking you can get boxing headgear with a nose bar or even a cage....its kind of cheating but your sparring partners at the gym will understand if you explain the eye doctor bit. Likewise a High Gear helmet might work if your sparring partners are cool with it.

Grappling eye pro...never, ever seen anyone use it, cant help you there

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

The problem is I don't find many eyepro that can fit over my glasses, and these are one of the few that do (just barely.)
    For any other eye glasses wearers, I received another option today from the Amazon Gods; $11.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLW5XDD...roduct_details

Name:  IMG_2530.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  52.1 KB

Fit is excellent, these are larger by perhaps 10% of my Elvex. Kind of a Glock 17 where the Elvex are Glock 19. The blue stripe is hard plastic (I was thinking it'd be rubber, but no). Despite that the ear pieces are ok, straight; they are meant to be bent to shape which I will get around to.

They cup my glasses very well; I was having some issues lately since I got new frames and lenses a couple months ago, and the set I picked was a bit larger than last year's pair. They are ANSI Z81+ and EN 166/170 rated, at least according to the manufacturer. The remind me of the ones my Dental Hygienist wears, to be honest. The plastic is clear and features fixed wrap around panels. Eye and temple coverage is excellent. Because they are large and clear, the outward view is very good, with minimal distortion through the plastic.

A brief test fit with my Sordin Supreme Pro X ear pro went well, no issues with the Noisefighter gel cups fitting over both sets of earpieces. And they come with a convenient storage bag. So far so good.

Bump! I'm recently going through cataract surgery, which is almost complete. With that, it appears I no longer will need glasses when shooting. That being the case, I'm on the hunt for some new eyewear. I went through the peostri APEL list and tentatively settled on Revision's Sawfly (basic kit):

https://www.revisionmilitary.com/eye...ctacles/sawfly

Is this a decent option, or are there better / more typical choices by Wiley or ESS or Oakley?

My head size is 23"...so I'm in the "regular" group according to the sizing charts I'm seeing...

Here's another option, this isn't on the APEL list but is by Wiley, seems to be MIL PRF rated (?), wrap around and at a more economical price point ($50)?

https://a.co/d/80aYWmz

Site Supporter
    Current Army approved eyepro as of Jan 2024

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equi...d-Eyewear-QPL/

I would not wear anything that was not on the list, particularly after the time/talent/treasure recently expended getting your eyes right.

You have one set of eyes and one set of feet- NEVER scrimp on glasses, shoes or socks.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

^^^ lol; yep, I got the same input from my wife last night. She asked me to recall how much we typically spend on my glasses every year (maybe $700); to put $150-$250 on eye pro into perspective. Makes sense.

So, the apel list is where I need to be picking from. I plan to head out today to a few Sports warehouse places to see how these types of sunglasses fit on my head. It's been since like forever since I wore contacts (15 years at least) and it is weird putting on readers and such like. I'll be glad to have only one ear piece under my ear pro, for sure.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-06-2024 at 06:38 AM.

Finally got around to ordering my eye pro, this arrived today:

Name:  IMG_4076.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  73.8 KB

"Oakley Men's Oo9047 Ballistic M Frame 2.0"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BS5GSVQ...roduct_details

I ordered mine in matte black / clear as these are meant to be for the range. Nose piece is high quality rubber, and the ear pieces are fairly slim. Hinges appear pretty robust. Pretty comfortable, wearing them here around the house. Fit is good, finish seems pretty high quality. I was mildly surprised it was marked "Made in the USA", which I was oddly happy for, given it's on the APEL list.

They are bit spendy at a buck fifty, but I have only one set of eyes and I'd kinda like to keep them in working condition, given how much I just spent on cataract surgery. I do have a pair of Oakley "Plank" frames in Wayfarer style I was using for single vision sunglasses, and I'm pretty happy with how they fit me. (I was able to source replacement no-correction sunglass lenses for the Plank's, and popped them in yesterday - win.) These frames are a more open design obviously, but fit is similar.

Appreciate all the input in this thread, thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-19-2024 at 03:27 PM.

User Tag List