Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye protection advice

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My approach is similar to this, and I have training partners who I trust to keep metal training knives below the neck. Of course, accidents happen but wearing eyepro on the mats is problematic enough that I rarely do it. New students can be spastic and unpredictable, so I have a pair of my favorite safety glasses in my gym bag. Fogging is a problem even with the built-in anti-fog treatment, so one student drilled a bunch of air holes in his.

Radians RS1-11 Rad-Sequel Rubber Tipped Lightweight Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GRO9DA/
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    CF

Admittedly, I am not training like you are. So take my next comments FWTW.

My present shooting eye is off the Approved Army list and made by ESS.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equi...d-Eyewear-QPL/

Post surgery # 3 pf 4, on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.
    Here's a more detailed response to a good question: why use cheap safety glasses made of Chinesium? For almost all of my shooting, I use Oakley SI Speed Jacket glasses with thick ballistic lenses. I recently got fragged by about half a 9mm bullet that bounced off an edge hit on a steel plate at ~7 yds. It hit dead center of my right lens, hard enough that I felt the push into the nosebridge. Yep, I'm a believer in quality safety glasses.

For combatives, airsoft, etc., I think the Chinese cheapos are fine. I'm not going to wear a $250 pair of Oakleys on the mat. It's way too easy for them to get ruined.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I would humbly assert that between 4.00 chinesium and 250.00 Oakley there lies a sweet spot.

Again, using the army list as a starting point

Honeywell Uvex is under 20 USD. Another 10.00 for a strap?

Revision Sawfly with an OEM strap is under 50 USD

ESS is likely a sub 50.00 USD solution as well.

There is zero reason to go cheap on protecting your eyes, especially given the modest priced offerings widely available that are far superior.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Great thread. It's going to cause me to reevaluate my eyepro, which was last refreshed 2017. Perhaps. Maybe.

I may have some questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Questsion to all: Why would common safety goggles (not glasses), available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, not be considered?

Duces
    For unwanted pregnancies? Absolutely!

For use outside of a high school chemistry class, I dunno. Way outside my lane, but I'd guess the squashable sides, sketchy fit with a single elastic band, and their tendency to fog more than a San Francisco Bay spring would suggest there are better options for shooting.

Ok, it was 2018. $8, I'm going to assume Chinesium. Bag is marked "Z87+/EN 166 F", "ANSI Z87.1", and "Ballistic Rated".

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-SG-37C-...04I7RVZI&psc=1

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-04-27 13-13-03.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  24.5 KB

The problem is I don't find many eyepro that can fit over my glasses, and these are one of the few that do (just barely.)
    Last edited by RJ; 04-27-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    Headgear with full face shield, along with a significant of caution, would be my recommendation if you absolutely must engage in contact training. Reconsidering the why behind you feel the need to do so might make sense. I wouldn’t take any chances, but maybe that’s me.
    I think this is your only answer for striking and it's probably not a good one at that. For something like a detached retina, I think you want to protect your eyes not just from being poked but also from shock or concussion. Certainly when I had a detached retina, that was one of the things the doc recommended avoiding. Also, getting punched in the face and having the glasses jammed into it is going to suck and could very well drive the glasses themselves into your eye. For BJJ or grappling, I can't imagine what you could wear that wouldn't get ripped off your face other than, maybe, wrestling headgear. I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

The problem is I don't find many eyepro that can fit over my glasses, and these are one of the few that do (just barely.)
    Spending the money for prescription eyepro is worth it.

For reference, I lost an eye a few years ago so I almost never even leave the house without protective glasses of some kind. In my case, multiple pairs of Oakleys for different roles - sunglasses, clear wraparounds (transition lenses now - they really work well) and glasses for an office setting. All of them are prescription, at least one lens, because I wear them for distance. I've been whacked in the face wearing them. It sucks. I've also been really glad I was wearing them on multiple occasions. It's money well spent.

I received a glancing thumb blow with the thumb of boxing glove sparring. Developed a bad MRSA corneal ulcer, took 3 mos to resolve! Always wear impact sport goggles now when I do any sparring / rolling.

Lastly, with respect to your specific retinal injury, having your head jostled and impacted is as risky! Make sure your clinician knows exactly what you are doing or want to do!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Always wear impact sport goggles now when I do any sparring / rolling.
    What do you wear that works for sparring and rolling and how well does it work? I'd love to know that.

Chiming in just to add that ESS is my current go-to brand for .mil approved eye pro.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

First off, sorry for your troubles and good luck with the rehab.

We are talking about contact sports here correct, so stuff needs to protect from impact (not projectile level stuff) AND stay put on your head during said contact. Whatever you go with should probably have some kind of lanyard to keep the glasses put. Maybe look at stuff for racquetball/squash or Lacrosse in addition to shooting. Racquetball/squash won't protect your from projectiles, but I can attest they will protect from a fast moving ball or racquet to the eye.

User Tag List