Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye protection advice

Eye protection advice

I suffered a detached retina last summer. 3 surgeries down, HOPEFULLY one more to go. The opthalmologist advised me - commanded, really - to wear eye protection when training with contact. The detached retina, surgery and recovery were freaking miserable, and Lord I do not want to go through that again.

I've trained primarily striking, with some judo/BJJ for balance. (All respect to BJJ but I do not enjoy it.) I'm 53 years old so if I can't be "fighter guy" any more that's hardly the end of the world (and truth be told I was never very good anyway), but it will make me unhappy.

Does anybody have any experience with eye pro for training? I've never seen anyone using it, and my dr, while insisting I use it, didn't have any examples to offer.

Site Supporter
    Edge of Lane at very best.

You have one set of eye and one set of feet-GOOD on you for seeking out this info.

1. Your request made me think of James Worthy. NBA player who had a cornea scratched early in his career. He played with wrap around specs for the remainder of his career. Those specs are now in the Smithsonian.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...t/nmah_1179740

2. Way back in the day THE brand was REC-SPEC. I am sure that Oakley, Nike and others are in the space.

3. To me-wrap around protection that will not move even under vigorous activity is paramount. Certainly to cost and even comfort. They have to be big enough that nothing can get thru yet give you the fullest field of vision possible.

4. On a side note- 2006 or 07. I went to Gunsite. I had purchased Oakley M series at the direction of Pat Rogers (RIP) I had a double charge in the am of day 2. The blast and splatter to my face drew blood in multiple places. I have no doubt that I would have suffered class ending and likely permanent damage but for the quality eye pro I was wearing.

5. I would consider getting two sets, particularly if they, themselves are not RX. One is none and two is one….

6. Let us know what you do
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Having had a detachment really F up my life for several years running, I get it. That said, I haven’t found anything that works better than OEM nature’s flinch/blink response. I do all my training au naturel, and just consider my age (55) and set the agenda with my training partners. At this point, I have to be very realistic about my capabilities.

The exception is anything with sticks and drone knives—for that I use milspec wrap around eyes with croakies and nobody seems to mind.

But with grappling/combatives, I just stay very present and very focussed. Have to watch the eyes, the knees, hell, pretty much everything. I do NOT want to return to the days when I couldn’t drive or read sheet music at work.

For what it’s worth.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...I haven’t found anything that works better than OEM nature’s flinch/blink response. I do all my training au naturel, and just consider my age (55) and set the agenda with my training partners. At this point, I have to be very realistic about my capabilities.

The exception is anything with sticks and drone knives—for that I use milspec wrap around eyes with croakies and nobody seems to mind.

But with grappling/combatives, I just stay very present and very focussed. Have to watch the eyes, the knees, hell, pretty much everything...
    My approach is similar to this, and I have training partners who I trust to keep metal training knives below the neck. Of course, accidents happen but wearing eyepro on the mats is problematic enough that I rarely do it. New students can be spastic and unpredictable, so I have a pair of my favorite safety glasses in my gym bag. Fogging is a problem even with the built-in anti-fog treatment, so one student drilled a bunch of air holes in his.

Radians RS1-11 Rad-Sequel Rubber Tipped Lightweight Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GRO9DA/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    CF

Admittedly, I am not training like you are. So take my next comments FWTW.

My present shooting eye is off the Approved Army list and made by ESS.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equi...d-Eyewear-QPL/

Post surgery # 3 pf 4, on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-26-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    CF

Admittedly, I am not training like you are. So take my next comments FWTW.

My present shooting eye is off the Approved Army list and made by ESS.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equi...d-Eyewear-QPL/

Post surgery/on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.
    Great point.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

No personal experience with contact sports, but have worn various "sport glasses" for decades for baseball, tennis, swimming, etc. Blind as a bat without corrective lenses (until recent cataract surgery), so the specs necessary. Many options with various nose pieces, cushioning (and/or sealing for swimming), and straps. One source for many brands is https://www.sporteyes.com/eyewear-by...t-goggles.html.

Questsion to all: Why would common safety goggles (not glasses), available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, not be considered?

Duces

Have you checked out Wiley X? I don't have any, I have some ESS and recommend them, but I've heard the Wiley X is great also.
    You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

Headgear with full face shield, along with a significant of caution, would be my recommendation if you absolutely must engage in contact training. Reconsidering the why behind you feel the need to do so might make sense. I wouldn’t take any chances, but maybe that’s me.

User Tag List