Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pull The Pin

Help Me Pull The Pin

I have almost 27 years between full and part time, and I'm now in a post retirement program where you continue to earn your pay and work normally, but the retirement system invests your money that you would otherwise receive from them. You can stay up to 8 years in the program, and receive your interest if you stay at least 5 years. I plan on working full time until I'm 60-65.

I'm in a weird place regarding leaving the PD and LE. My body hurts enough that I'm ready to go, and we've had enough problems both internally and externally at the PD over the past few years that I'm ready for something else. While I enjoy the job itself, the stress level is great enough it's causing more problems than the $$ is probably worth. I wouldn't leave disgruntled, but I don't necessarily want to stay long term either.

Problem is, I don't have a degree that many of the prospective jobs/careers I've seen require...I have the skills and experience, but not the piece of paper. The current home life prevents me from spending the time needed to complete my degree. I've researched resources like Cop To Corporate but I haven't taken the steps of using a vocational counselor or similar.

So my questions are for those that have already successfully navigated the post LE corporate or other business world transition. Hopefully we can also help others that are in the same position I am.

If you didn't have a degree when your retired, how hard was it to find a long term employer or similar where you feel satisfied and the pay was comparable to the PD's?

How long did the job search take and were your LE skills recognized in the corporate civilian world?

Did you use a vocational counselor or similar to help guide you to a new career?

How long did it take you to transition from being a cop and truly be able to move on?

I appreciate it!

How long did it take you to transition from being a cop and truly be able to move on?
    Being an engineer, not a cop, I can't help with the particular stresses of that job, nor on how to get another full time job.
    But the answer to this one is... one day. I have never missed a minute of it and I am not one of those retirees who goes back to drink coffee with the remaining old hands. I did go back on a couple of "staff augmentation" projects, but those were well paid and when they were completed, I was out of there for good.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I don't know how much this will help answer your question, but I will give you what I got on this topic.

The prevailing mindset on when I decided to retire was, "Time is more important that money." (I always caveat that with saying that money is not unimportant.) So with that, last June I retired a couple of years before my mandatory retirement age. In doing that, left a good bit of money on the table. I mean a pretty nice chunk of change. And I did this while the youngest kid still had 18 months left in college. So, on paper, this was not, financially speaking, the smartest move. I have zero regrets.

I felt pretty good just as soon as I pulled the pin, and 10 months on, I only feel better about separating when I did. I had 30 years in and, while I could have gutted out a couple more, I was kind of running on fumes. Everything about life, except finances, has improved since separating. I knew I was tired when I bailed, but I didn't know how tired. It took about 8 months for my body and mind to fluff back up. I slept *a lot* right after separation - which is something I just don't do. I think that was simply my body and mind trying to recover from years of the grind. To be clear, I drove a desk for the last decade of work, which was arguably worse than being in the field.

I say all that to say this. If making a move will improve your life, and you can find a way to afford it, even if it means things might be tight financially for a while, I say go for it. (Clearly, you are trying to figure out a pathway by asking the question to start with.) Good luck with the switch.

ETA: In today's world of unmotivated workers, I would think that a prospective employer would value real world experience over a piece of paper. The challenges will be getting a foot in the door to start with and then communicating your level of experience to a potential employer in a meaningful way. My observation is that a lot of employees are interested only in getting paid as opposed to actually doing the work and bringing value to the employer. Figure out how to show an employer that your experience adds value to the outfit, and I think you will be good to go.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I left LE, (special agent on the federal side), in 2004. I could've stayed six more years and padded my pension but my sanity and quality of life were more important to me and so I left the aggravation behind. (I loved doing the actual job, I hated what had become of the agency.)

So, I left quite a bit of money on the table and have never for a minute regretted my decision, despite missing the "action" from time to time.

I was also fortunate enough that I didn't need to seek a second career upon retiring and had no real desire to do so.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. Life is great after retirement as long as you make peace with the idea of leaving the badge on the table when you leave the house.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I retired at the end of 2021 with 35 years combined military and Federal LE - I literally couldn't have worked more than 59 more days from my date of retirement before hitting mandatory.

I always loved my work, but, increasingly in the last 5-7 years, hated my agency and the larger government environment. The only reason I went (almost) to mandatory is because COVID let me work from home for the last two years (even those THOSE GUYS in management did everything to make that as onerous as possible), otherwise I'd have gone out earlier.

Like Blues, I'm blessed in that my pension and TSP are sufficient to cover my financial needs, and doubly blessed that my awesome wife went back to work in 2020 and is making comfortably more than I "lost" in my pension. So, I've had no NEED to go back to work. I will say, I talk with friends still "on the job" almost every day, and do miss the work - you'd be surprised to find out that federal LE doesn't allow volunteer retirees to help out on warrants.

Having said all that, there is a LOT of work out there that needs doing outside the bounds of LE. I have no doubt that, should you want it, you'll find something to do besides bother your better half and putter.

Fair warning, having nothing to do has health risks - to whit, without having to constantly run to respond to duty calls, etc left me with enough time to figure out how bad off I was, physically and from an injury perspective. Since retiring, I've been diagnosed with significant hearing loss and tinnitus, ended up with a total hip replacement, and just got a steroid injection in my knee in hopes of staving off further surgery. None of these conditions are anywhere near new, but the demands of the "job" always made me just grit my teeth and push through.

I also can’t help anything with about LE. But I’ve seen good friends after being out of the military for only a few short months that legitimately looked like they’d gained several years of life back. My guess is LE would be the same, if not even more drastic. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    I have almost 27 years between full and part time, and I'm now in a post retirement program where you continue to earn your pay and work normally, but the retirement system invests your money that you would otherwise receive from them. You can stay up to 8 years in the program, and receive your interest if you stay at least 5 years. I plan on working full time until I'm 60-65.

I'm in a weird place regarding leaving the PD and LE. My body hurts enough that I'm ready to go, and we've had enough problems both internally and externally at the PD over the past few years that I'm ready for something else. While I enjoy the job itself, the stress level is great enough it's causing more problems than the $$ is probably worth. I wouldn't leave disgruntled, but I don't necessarily want to stay long term either.

Problem is, I don't have a degree that many of the prospective jobs/careers I've seen require...I have the skills and experience, but not the piece of paper. The current home life prevents me from spending the time needed to complete my degree. I've researched resources like Cop To Corporate but I haven't taken the steps of using a vocational counselor or similar.

So my questions are for those that have already successfully navigated the post LE corporate or other business world transition. Hopefully we can also help others that are in the same position I am.

If you didn't have a degree when your retired, how hard was it to find a long term employer or similar where you feel satisfied and the pay was comparable to the PD's?

How long did the job search take and were your LE skills recognized in the corporate civilian world?

Did you use a vocational counselor or similar to help guide you to a new career?

I appreciate it!
    A lot depends on, well, a lot. Age, social skills, type of career you had, job you're in now, type of job you're looking for etc.
    If you require the same income level you're at now for several more years you might have a tough row to hoe. Most topped out cops are making substantially more than anything in Security or Loss Prevention up to management levels, and unless you have a particular skill set like fraud investigation then the Corporate world requires degrees and certs.
    For income, your best bet is retiring and moving to another department if they hire at topped out scales. But you're still in essentially the same situation you're in now, plus you're an FNG and subject to local and internal politics. My former department is so universally hated that guys really go to other departments with rose colored glasses on and soon realize that they traded one set of problems for another-at best.
    Getting completely out of LE, if you can swing it financially, is your best bet health, safety and freedom wise.
    I did 28 City(in Patrol) and 4 County (in the jail), and was Infantry before that, so I am no longer interested in anything to do with LE...or anything that requires interacting with humans as a job...or interacting with humans at all. So, I'm not really qualified to work as anything except a dog walker.
    As far as getting over being a cop: I immediately realized that I, personally, needed to adopt DB's "J-frame Lifestyle", dial down the hypervigilance, and embrace complete disinterest in criminality of any sort short of murder-in-progress. Working in the horrific conditions of a county jail gave me ample motivation to stay out of one at just about any cost. Fortunately as a tee-totaling widower with a grown daughter, I have no need of going anywhere that the "Three Stupids" are in effect so a parking lot robbery is my main concern.

I can't offer advice, as I am in the same boat.

24.5yrs of Fed LE time. I could have gone 2 years ago at 50, but my youngest is still in college, and my wife wasn't able to work full time due to her office basically shutting down during covid.

Currently 52.5yrs old. 4.5yrs left to mandatory retirement age. Wife is working full time again. I could retire tomorrow... but then what?

**WARNING: Random Rambling Mode will follow.

I have had a job since I was 18. I still enjoy my coworkers, and the non paperwork side of the job (kicking doors and slapping on cuffs is still fun after all these years). But as others have mentioned, the management and political issues of the job absolutely suck and are 90% of my stress. I hid out at the Academy instructing last year, and I am trying to get back there later this year. There is ZERO stress at the academy, and even now I am TDY on an opp, and the stress level is MUCH lower when you are a guest in an office, and local management is not jacking with you. If I could spend the rest of my time TDY/Instructing, I would.

I just don't know about retirement. I have had a "need" to get out of bed every morning for the past 34 years. I am worried about the "nothing" that comes after I retire. Everyone says how great it is... but to me, the lack of social interaction with co workers, and no purpose, seems daunting.

Anyway, no real advice to offer. But I am following the thread, for some inspiration.

I have considered getting a retirement job. But don't want to learn a whole new job from scratch. Its only a little about the money, its more about having a purpose. I can probably work at one of the many local colleges offering Criminal Justice classes and basic Peace Officer academies. I am guessing with my time on, and my 2 years teaching at FLETC, someone would hire me. Just to get out of the house a few days a week...

** END of RANDOM RAMBLING MODE**

PIC for attention, and to show the job can still be fun... sometimes.

Name:  Gad ELP.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  50.2 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Contact me if you want to discuss LE retirement issues. I am 287 pension checks into my first police pension. I retired in May 1999. Since then I've worked public and private sector organizations, universities, and private consulting. There's a lot to it. Happy to help.

Best thing I ever did was retire. I was able to land a gig as a “Blue Coat” and I love it. No degree required.

Took about 9 months to complete the process. PM me for more details if you’re interested.

Regards.

User Tag List