Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting aggressive dogs while running

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Since this is “mindset and tactics”

IME Ohio is the only contender for Florida’s status as paragon of trashy weird shit.

It doesn’t matter what color or ethnicity the residents are, if you are in an area where people let their dogs routinely run loose you are in the hood. Plan accordingly.

You live in an area full of s****y trashy people who let their dogs run loose and you think if you shoot one of those dogs you’re not gonna get into a lethal force confrontation with the owner(s) ?

As someone who has both been bitten by dogs and involved in shooting dogs, none of which were pits, your fixation on them tells me that you actually don’t know shit about fuck regarding dogs and dog behavior.
    In my life I’ve been attacked by three dogs. All pits. So yeah, maybe you don’t know shit about me.

Your plan to run in an area with loose aggressive pit bulls violates 2 of Farnam’s Rules:

1. Don’t go stupid places and 2. Do stupid things

The last is 3. With stupid people.

It sucks, but it’s reality.

I’m not a fan of pits either.

They are amazing creatures, tough, athletic, etc. it’s like having a mountain lion loose in your neighborhood.

Also, I live in Ohio, and it’s a pretty nice place to live. All 4 seasons, no natural disasters, no fire ants, decent firearms training opportunities, decent gun laws, great breweries, winery’s, and distilleries,I could go on.

Apparently, according to someone's definition, I also live in the "hood"...western NC mountain style. And I have had encounters with several loose dogs, as well as their owners. And nobody has shot anyone (yet). (I even know several folks from Ohio around here.)

I know, it's only been 20 years...so I'll give it time.

Funny thing is, I had this conversation with the guy who is to install my whole house generator, (who as it happens is from Ohio)...the folks I've met around here from OH seem to be about the nicest folks I've met.

I hope I don't have to shoot any dogs, after having two physical altercations with loose dogs in the past few months.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Warped Mindless, your situation sucks. There's really no good answer. Being an off-leash dog vigilante is not likely to end well for you. I'm not sure what I would do. We have had some issues with off-leash dogs in our neighborhood, and pocket OC spray solved the problem three times. I guess you could try running with bear spray or a riot-fogger, but blowback from OC is likely. And, owners may get into it with you for spraying their fur baby.
    I’m not sure minding my own business and shooting an attacking dog makes me an “off leash vigilante” any more than a dude getting mugged at the ATM and shooting the mugger makes him “Batman; criminal vigilante” but I see your point.

The simple solution seems to be just not to run but it doesn’t sit well with me that I can’t enjoy a freedom and a pleasure because of a bunch of bad dog owners. While that’s not the way shut is supposed to work, I suppose that’s life.

How many dogs, and possibly dog owners, am I willing to shoot to enjoy that freedom? Its not worth the hassle I guess…

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Apparently, according to someone's definition, I also live in the "hood"...western NC mountain style. And I have had encounters with several loose dogs, as well as their owners. And nobody has shot anyone (yet). (I even know several folks from Ohio around here.)

I know, it's only been 20 years...so I'll give it time.

Funny thing is, I had this conversation with the guy who is to install my whole house generator, (who as it happens is from Ohio)...the folks I've met around here from OH seem to be about the nicest folks I've met.

I hope I don't have to shoot any dogs, after having two physical altercations with loose dogs in the past few months.
    Funny this is, this new area I live in has less drugs, almost no crime, and most of the dog owners are decent people… they just make horrible dog owners. The number one cause of any violence in this area is from dogs. Having pitts and lifted trucks around here is the “cool thing” right now and people buy them, often end up neglecting them, and allows them to get loose.

Hello from Ohio.

I've heard it said that "Any person who would shoot my dog, better have a lightning fast reholster, or I will take them to be an active deadly threat to my life, and respond accordingly."

The things you hear.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I'd load up with pepper spray and a clinch pick.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I've never lived in a State where people leash or pen their dogs. Doing so seems weird to me.
    In 80+ years, I've never been attacked by a dog.

I haven't had a dog since my teens and dogs around here are all leashed, so I ask the following out of total ignorance on how people care (or don't) for their dogs:

Would it be a good idea to carry dog treats for uncertain dog encounters?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List