Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could only use 1 arm....

If I were in your boat, I’d probably default to revolvers. But I’m a revolver guy.

I once took a class with a gentleman that only had use of his dominant arm. He ran, of all things, a Colt officer’s model—in .45acp no less. Incredibly, he had less trouble with reliability than almost everyone else there with what was a challenging class, including myself running a vetted Gen 3 G17. Being that he navigated life with one arm, he’d developed a lot of strength in his primary arm, including a grip like a pipe fitter. As well, the traditional 1911 safety set up was no disadvantage, since he was right hand only anyways.

Still and in all, I was surprised at the stone reliability of that officer’s model, shooting from all sorts of disadvantaged positions. The internet had long conditioned me to think of short 1911s as being on the ragged edge, but again, this guy’s gun ran 100 percent which was more than could be said for pretty much everyone else’s pistol.

But I ramble. My ultimate vote, FWIW, is the gun you are already most familiar and comfortable with. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@1More, challenging question. You have some good suggestions already. Here are a few thoughts:

Reloading, malfunction clearance, and safe holstering are all much more challenging SHO. So, I would choose a mid to full-size TDA that is reliable using a compromised grip. I would want 15-17 rounds at least to avoid a reload.

I can make a Glock 19 (and many other guns) stovepipe if I use a loose limpwrist single-hand grip. Only two carry guns I've owned were 100% reliable even with a very poor grip (CZ P-07, HK USPc). Testing will be key.

A WML is more important if you only have one hand, but being able to switch it on and off under stress SHO is not a given for all light models. The TLR-7a/8a high switch works well for me single-handed, using the trigger finger to tap on/off. Consider a WML/green laser combo like the TLR8ag for reasons explained below.

A single-handed index (automatic sight alignment) on the draw, under stress, in awkward positions or while moving is not a given. Iron sights can be more forgiving of a missed grip or other index problem. People 'lose the dot' all the time at USPSA matches using two hands, let alone one. However, some shooters almost never lose their dot, and the difference is skill and practice. I've put a lot of time into my SHO/WHO shooting lately, and would feel very confident carrying and shooting SHO. WHO is still more of a challenge for me. I've been burning 50-100 rounds per practice session just shooting singles and doubles WHO. If I was limited to one hand, I'd spend a lot of time on fundamentals (draws, doubles, and transitions) dry and live. And, a laser can solve a lot of problems in jacked up positions and in the dark.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Single handed

I do a lot of one handed shooting righty and lefty and find that using the pistol you are most familiar with and have the most rounds through is a great advantage.

That aside, mechanically speaking- for a one-handed use something that doesn't have too large of a grip so that you can really wrap your fingers around it and hold onto it well is an advantage.
    Having a pistol that is not nose heavy is also helpful. This makes manipulation and movement between targets faster.
    For holstering safely something with a double action and a hammer also gives an advantage.

A lot of these traits, including 16 rounds on board make a PX4 Storm Compact 9 a viable option. Its very soft recoil and straight line movement, based on the rotating barrel can make it easier to control during rapid fire with one hand.
    It is also not prone to limp wrist stoppages and has no grip safety. It can also be fired without a magazine.

It has a picatinny rail if you want to put a light on when you put it on the nightstand.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 04-24-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Echo that there are good suggestions already.
    Several years back, I wrecked my left shoulder in a fall. I ran an iron sight 19 with no issues, to include competing at an IALEFFI conference shoot adequately. I'll credit Clint Smith and Rogers Shooting School for their instruction. Clint had, as I recall, at least a half day(maybe full one) where we stuck our dominant hand into a coffee can with a leather thing to hold on to. His logic was following the 1986 FBI shootout; even if your hand is a bloody mess, one can work with the stump so to speak. YMMV.
    +1 on @Clusterfrack suggestions of a TLR8g. I've got one, and it usually rides on a 19MOS. I ran it in a low light session with iron sights-worked for me. I would strongly consider not running a dot; more to manipulate, battery changes, etc.
    I don't have a lot of time on DA/SA guns, so the Glocks or CZ would make sense for me.
    Finally, FWIW, last summer I had some eye surgery. Recuperating at home for a couple of weeks, I had a .22lr 317 in the sweatpants pocket, so I could get to the bigger autos. That's just me though...

If I was limited to one hand I would go to my S&W 60 for carry and my model 10 or Glock 34 for home use. I shoot my 60 pretty good and oddly enough one handed I may shoot it better than my semi. I wont have a hand to clear a garment so being able to have a hand in my pocket is a benefit. I would switch to the 10 or 34 for home defense because concealment wont be an issue I either give me more chances.

@1More

For small gun, 6 shot revolver.

For larger gun, something with true double strike capability. P229 DASA or CZP01.

Consider optic mounted to make one handed racking easier.

If it were me, I would probably drop the recoil spring weight by a couple pounds to give more buffer for limp wristing and easier one-handed racking.

Problem Solved!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DopeyLimit...restricted.gif

ETA I’m left handed, left eye dominant, but…. I shot pistols with my right hand, and rifles with my left hand. The malfunction clearing issue would lead me to a revolver. I can shoot a pistol left handed, but that’s just me. My brother is cross dominant in the other direction.

I'll buck the TDA trend.

A Commander-length 1911, milled for an RMR, in 9mm would be pretty tough to beat in this scenario.

1) Easy to shoot one handed
    2) Thumb safety can be ridden from underside while moving/holstering
    3) The magazines are easy to load.
    4) The recoil spring assembly will be light, making one handed racking off the window of the optic easy.
    5) With a standard GI-type recoil spring/guide rod setup you can load/unload and correct failure to eject and certain failure to feed malfunctions by pushing the gun out of battery on a hard surface (door frame, desk, hunk of wood) (i.e. you can use a piece of furniture to rack the slide).
    6) You can disassemble the gun with one hand for field stripping, but pushing down on the recoil spring plug, and rotating the bushing with your thumb (assuming a hand tight bushing).

The only hard part is reloading the gun when empty. Which is another reason to opt for a 9mm, you'll run 10+1 out of Wilson or Tripp magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If I were in your boat, I’d probably default to revolvers. But I’m a revolver guy.

Me too I think. And I might go for two of them. Two very light snubbies rather than try to train up one handed reloads. Kinda like that one armed deputy in Unforgiven.

I could also imagine one of my reliable small semis that I've found to handle well SHO because my dominant hand can dominate the small grip backed by a snub.
    G43 and 43X obvious candidates but also my M&P Compact .22 which has shot like the blazes and is easy to make crazy fast accurate hits . . . bursts of hits actually SHO. Then backed by a snubbie.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

[musing out loud] is it possible to tape switch a light on a revolver, eg, TRR8? [/musing]. That would be interesting, if something like this could be used on the frontstrap with wood grips:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Grip...001V2X9RM?th=1
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List