Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you could only use 1 arm....

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    The 1911 definitely seems like a good contender for a one-hand auto. I would love to have one that I'd carry myself, it just seems like the only way to get one that's adequately reliable (by my standards, anyway), you either have to buy a base model $900-ish gun and spend at least twice as much on parts and work by the dwindling number of competent 1911 smiths left (and the time to have it all done), or you have to spend well over $3k for a custom/semi-custom one that may or may not be 100% reliable right out of the box (I'm thinking of the more frequent reports in recent times of Wilson Combats having to be sent back).

Maybe a USP9 Compact with a left hand safety, and just carry it single action?
    Regarding the 1911...you make good points. In my case, the mental exercise eventually leads to an attempt to source a Chambers Custom 38 SuperComp...and then I have to come back to reality. Though a Staccato CS and Wilson SF9 have crossed my mind as more reasonable considerations.

Regarding the USP...It crossed my mind as well. The USP points well for me in a one handed grip...my theory is the flat sided grip lines up better for my physiology on presentation. I had a USP40 for a few years (bought the first one I could find when they were released). Recently, I bought a USP45, primarily as a field gun; it reminded of the positives of the platform. USP9 Compact with hybrid Match/LEM or variant 1 (locked or decocked) would work fine for me, especially the ergos. Although it isn't comparatively great, I find the USP Double action shot, although 'relatively terrible', actually very shootable one handed. For a 'out of the box will probably work like a champ in all conditions' consideration, it's at reasonably competitive (though I always keep Todd Green in mind with his comments about manufacturers and problems).

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im a revolver guy for the most part, if I lost the auto pistol in some disaster Id not lose much sleep over it for the most part, they just dont play much part in my normal life, however...I went through this several years ago with shoulder surgery on my right (primary) shoulder. I tried various things before surgery to see what would work. My normal carry was a 640 in the R front pocket. If I tried to switch that to the left front pocket Id then have no pocket available for the basics like keys and such. Reloads were definitely not simple with a revolver. I went with the early 2nd gen g19 in a glock factory plastic holster (ambi). Id shot it a lot one handed with zero issues. I determined that if I had occasion to reload, dropping the mag, reholster, insert mag from glock plastic carrier carried behind the holster, cycle slide. I have no problem cycling it using the rear sight snagged on my belt.

I live pretty rural, around the yard and dog walking was the main use I have, with little town time.

I figured out I could actually reload mags one handed while sitting down by holding it between my knees and using the plastic factory mag loader widget. Not something youd want to do in a hurry but it can be done.

This was the answer for around the home place while in the brace.

Attachment 103972
    I'm in acceptance that a J frame or LCR purchase is in my immediate future for simplicity's sake. For revolver reloads, I found that a hybrid of of firm one handed vertical case ejection combined with 'crook of the knee' (just like the no-holster method for one arms reloading an auto) works well, if slow. The behind the knee tuck solved the issue of locking the cylinder where access to the chambers was simple. Even some room to drive a speed loader. Strips require a little extra fiddling.
    As far as loading cartridges into magazines without a helper, I'm right there with you. Sitting on a firm surface, I'm doing the same. Definitely easier with a duty CZ or Glock mag over a narrow neck 365 mag. This was one of the mind blowers when I realized that for all the training I've done, I never went through how I would refill my magazines themselves if I was short an arm for an extended period of time.
    I love the brace holster; I will happily steal that.

Site Supporter
    I shoot a 1911 quite a bit and don't see it as superior to my Glock for a one handed gun. The motor memory safety off response is not ingrained in my off hand as it is in my dominant hand. I don't think the motor program will transfer that efficiently under stress. I see folks forget the safety too much in matches and esp. if the shooting sequence is not BEEP, DRAW, SHOOT. Change it up taking the gun from a box, draw while prone or sitting, screw ups increase - but this is anecdotal.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by 1More View Post
    ... For revolver reloads, I found that a hybrid of of firm one handed vertical case ejection combined with 'crook of the knee' (just like the no-holster method for one arms reloading an auto) works well, if slow. The behind the knee tuck solved the issue of locking the cylinder where access to the chambers was simple. Even some room to drive a speed loader. Strips require a little extra fiddling.

I messed around trying to see if reloading one handed left handed with a 2" revolver was practical, and the conclusion I came to was I couldnt see the point when I already had a gun that held 15 shots and was relatively simple operate left handed and to reload if need be with another 15.

Longer revolvers can be holstered or stuck in the belt with cylinder out to give access to reload, but the 2" was what id most likely carry, but as mentioned the obvious and simplest solution for me was the plastic gun.

The cheapo plastic glock factory holsters are a useful item for the odd left handed need. I already had one, but the $15 or whatever they cost was also the simple answer if I needed one and was still potentially useful right handed after the need for left handed was over.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

What a timely thread. Yesterday I stabbed my dominant palm with a screwdriver. Today I find myself thinking about this in a different light. While I can use both hands I found the butt of my 26 hits right on the wound. I also find that my grip is compromised. I’m carrying my 19. A full grip extends a little grace on a weak grip shooting and easier to draw. I feel I’m still better with my strong hand than weak hand shooting. That said I am now encouraged to shoot more WHO just in case I do something else dumb.

Site Supporter
    IIRC, when I was one handed, I used the Glock factory holster with my other hand. It worked just fine. Plus, the Glock mag holder.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I had a VERY similar situation to the thread creator. I had surgery in my dominant shoulder and couldn't use that side for anything for about 5 months until the physical therapy took hold. I defaulted to a Jframe carried IAWB as my EDC gun. I wasn't too concerned about reloads. I just wanted immediate response ability. I have other similar sized guns but I defaulted to the Jframe that I've had for decades. I've tried AIWB with compact sized guns and didn't like at all. To me very uncomfortable. If I didn't use the Jframe I would have used other PPK sized guns. OK comfort AIWB and similar round count and easier reload ability. That was a few years ago. Pre P365 era. My normal house guns remained for that purpose with my normal EDC gun added to that group.
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

One of the smaller frame Berettas with a tip-up barrel? 32ACP or 22LR, or 25ACP...low recoil, and since you're not HALO jumping into Fallujah and fighting insurgents, it should be sufficient for most "Ah, crap, I'm in a bad spot and need to leave now" situations. You should be able to drop the mag one-handed on them and with the tip up barrel, you don't need to rack the action.

Tisas I think is coming out with a 380 version of this, too... probably not optimal, but really what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    One of the smaller frame Berettas with a tip-up barrel? 32ACP or 22LR, or 25ACP...low recoil, and since you're not HALO jumping into Fallujah and fighting insurgents, it should be sufficient for most "Ah, crap, I'm in a bad spot and need to leave now" situations. You should be able to drop the mag one-handed on them and with the tip up barrel, you don't need to rack the action.

Tisas I think is coming out with a 380 version of this, too... probably not optimal, but really what is.
    Please don't send me back down the 81BB / 80x rabbithole . I had considered the Tomcat in 32, but two things held me off. One, I don't have any experience with them, but have heard enough reliability concerns to, on re-consideration, leave them in the 'lucky rabbit's foot' category. Second, I don't want to torture myself with that Tomcat front sight. Tip up is a neat feature, but if I had one, I'd just use the rear sight to rack the slide one handed. The 81BB would be great as an adult size 32...but I worry about playing the used lottery and would want to get that front sight swapped out, which is a nut roll. I briefly considered a 1903 in 32 acp. The 80x looks like it will be very nice but I wonder how it is being a blowback 380 versus a 9mm 92X Centurion...maybe if I could get a 81BB and swap barrels and magazines...??!
    Funny you mention this...when it comes to autos, since I started down this road, I've reached into the back corner of my gun safe and grabbed my 938 and pocket holster. This was a good setup; even better with the 238 I had previously. The 238 has been sold for a while; probably a mistake. The size, weight, and sights made it a great shooter. Controllable, fast, accurate, and reliable. My 938 has been a good gun as well; it's just a good bit heavier than the 238 and is more borderline for pocket carry. The MS was not a problem; it was quick and consistent in use. The 938 shoots very well, surprisingly quick in fast shooting and accurate, but I have to watch my grip or the slide will ginsu the base knuckle of my thumb (not a problem with the thinner slide of the 380. I've considered a 365-380, but haven't been compelled to move on it since it's still a 365 size gun. I should look at JCN's 365-380 thread again.
    "probably not optimal, but really what is?" - Thanks, now I have the name for my autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    I defaulted to a Jframe carried IAWB as my EDC gun. I wasn't too concerned about reloads. I just wanted immediate response ability.

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries thus far (backed out on a 4th). I've had both arms out of commission for somewhat extended periods. My default was Kramer pocket holster and a DSG AIWB with various J-frames (442/642/36/49).

User Tag List