Thread: Magazine Spring Stress Tests

Magazine Spring Stress Tests

Great test and interesting results. Being an engineer I know the theoretical tech tidbits, but lab tests often yield surprising results, and experience in the real world even more so.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...-stress-tests/

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Great test and interesting results. Being an engineer I know the theoretical tech tidbits, but lab tests often yield surprising results, and experience in the real world even more so.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...-stress-tests/
    Great article--thanks for posting about it. I highly recommend reading this.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Excellent, thorough article, backed up by good data. Highly recommended read.

I will, however, continue to download my Glock magazines by 1 round, for the simple reason that such expedites reloading when the slide is in battery. A fully loaded Glock magazine has very little compressibility left, so if you're attempting a reload with the slide in battery, you really need to somewhat forcibly slam the reload magazine up in the receiver to sufficiently mash the top cartridge down far enough to allow the magazine catch to engage in the magazine tube notch; downloading by one round makes for significantly less effort and drama.

But that has nothing to do with the inherent capabilities of the magazine, spring and follower.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    ...I will, however, continue to download my Glock magazines by 1 round, for the simple reason that such expedites reloading when the slide is in battery. A fully loaded Glock magazine has very little compressibility left, so if you're attempting a reload with the slide in battery, you really need to somewhat forcibly slam the reload magazine up in the receiver to sufficiently mash the top cartridge down far enough to allow the magazine catch to engage in the magazine tube notch; downloading by one round makes for significantly less effort and drama.

But that has nothing to do with the inherent capabilities of the magazine, spring and follower.
    Glock 19 mags are especially tight with 15 rounds. I don't download most other pistol mags. I do run 28 in AR mags for easier reloads, and to avoid feed lip stress.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List