Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The M16A2 is God's gift to the modern rifleman

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks (as always) for this write up. It certainly reflects and confirms my experience with my Sporter Target barrel.

Do you feel that the FN barrels were any more accurate?

Fwiw my upper is from Ohio ordnance when they had some govt surplus FN uppers. Not sure I've ever shot it off a bench.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I get the nostalgia - I was in an infantry company when these were rolled out, replacing the tired M16A1. On the KD range, mine was definitely more accurate than my previously issued A1.

That said, I much prefer a modern M4-inspired 14.5 or 16" gun with a carbine or mid-length gas system. Apparently I'm not the only one...

Edit: skip ahead to the 15 minute mark if you want to see GT's actual discussion of the rifle's strengths and weaknesses.

Edit 2: Props to the PF-ers like @03RN putting in work with their long guns.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-01-2023 at 06:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks (as always) for this write up. It certainly reflects and confirms my experience with my Sporter Target barrel.

Do you feel that the FN barrels were any more accurate?
    The FN barrel in my old M16A2 sure did nice work for me, despite being stuffed into that mixmaster mutt rifle in the pictures posted upthread.

First three rounds I fired on the 25M zero range were all touching each other. Then I adjusted the sights and started doing nice pairs with one flier because that was the limit of my luck + skill combining.

Back in 2006 I got a job with the DOD as a security guard. All of the people that came through the training "academy" with me were issued M16A1s, two of which were made by divisions of General Motors. My A1 grouped well but I wasn't a fan of the small apertures for anything other than shooting groups. I was later issued an A2 and I like the much larger aperture but being a pound heavier and 3-round burst really bummed me out. Despite this, the A2 is a fucking vibe and I would really like a clone of one with an HBAR since I'm not gonna be lugging it around. One day I'm also going to put something together that combines my preferred features of the A1 and A2 (except FA, damn it) but so far all I know for sure is I want a C7 upper with an A2 aperture and an A1 length stock and a lightweight barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List