Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LokNLod needs thoughts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    Update from FB

“Todays specific prayer requests (4/28) -
    -Josh’s stomach has become very distended. It could just be air from not moving around. But the Dr has ordered a CT of his abdomen to make sure. Please pray that’s all it is and that they can get the swelling down. The Dr said this is her main focus today.

I'm late to the thread. Hopefully this issue is resolved by now, but the distended stomach is possibly a side effect of the pain medications. My father-in-law had a bad fall off a ladder several years ago and experienced the same distended belly. Once they reduced the pain medications it resolved pretty quickly. The docs he was seeing weren't sharp enough to know the drug side effects. I believe it's called narcotic bowel syndrome. His physicians were at a loss, but when I described the situation to a physician friend of mine, I didn't even get to finish the sentence before he cut me off and explained everything. He said it's pretty common among older males. I am not a physician.

Also, if you think they need more gift cards, I'd be happy to chip in for a second round.

Site Supporter
    Josh seems to be doing a little better each day. They decided to remove the ventilator and do a tracheostomy today. That went very well. The hope is that will make him more comfortable in the short term and save his vocal cords in the long term since he has been on the vent since last Sunday.

He will remain sedated for the rest of the day, but he is starting to be able to move the left side of his body a little more and his right eye is no longer dialated.

He has a long road ahead of him, but if the recurring fever will calm down they should be able to sedate him less and start some speech and other therapy.

Josh continues to make small progress but is still fighting infections and fever. He spoke today for the first time and knows who people are and other basics. He’s still in ICU but are starting to discuss next steps. They did find he has a blood clotting disorder and believe that is what caused the stroke.

Site Supporter
    Update from FB. Please keep Josh in your thoughts

“URGENT prayer request - This afternoon Josh’s arm turned bright red, super hot, and swollen. We just found out he has a blood clot occluding the vein in his right arm all the way from his armpit to his hand. Please pray for the doctors to be fast acting and please pray for this to not break off and cause other issues with his brain. And please pray there are not any others anywhere.

Update: Josh has a massive DVT in his right arm from his armpit to his hand. It is connected to a line they put in a few days ago. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place with how to treat this. He is having surgery tomorrow to place a peg tube (he has to have this in order to leave here and go to a LTAC). So giving him anti-coagulants right now could mess that up. They feel that if they leave it alone the clot should not move, and they can then deal with it tomorrow after surgery. Leaving it makes me so nervous though, and his arms is already so red, hot, and swollen. Starting the anti-coagulants now could cause complications with surgery and cause him to bleed out. He’s been on levonox injections for about a week now, but obviously needs something much stronger. Please pray for the doctors as they get this figured out. Please pray for Josh as he’s very uncomfortable. Please pray this doesn’t break off and cause further issues. And please pray for me because I’m not handling this well right now. What a rollercoaster. 😔”

I don't want to "like" that post, but thanks for the update

Site Supporter
    Prayers inbound. Hopefully, they figure out what's going on with all these blood clots.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Prayers continuing!

I wonder if the clotting disorder is Protein-S deficiency? My wife and both of the boys have it but it seems to be well controlled once the docs work out the right anti-coagulant and dosage.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Prayers continuing!

I wonder if the clotting disorder is Protein-S deficiency? My wife and both of the boys have it but it seems to be well controlled once the docs work out the right anti-coagulant and dosage.
    The clotting disorder is Factor V Leiden

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    The clotting disorder is Factor V Leiden
    Thanks, I don't have anything on that one unfortunately.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thank you for the update. I’m sorry to hear about these latest complications.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List