Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The grip -- Grauffel

Wife and I were practicing last week and I remembered to explain to her this Grauffel grip as best I could remember. She tried it just assuming a standard arms out position and thought maybe she liked it. I suggested hold it for 15-20 seconds and see if you feel it in your shoulder muscles. Yes, she did. I pointed out that seemed to me to be a major advantage swapping larger, stronger shoulder for smaller weaker hand, wrist muscles. We were near the end of our session so she only shot maybe 30-40 rounds but she likes it. I thought her next comment may be useful for others. She says you know I have weak hand muscles. I think this can really help me. I said remember I mentioned the other week, the finger on front of the trigger guard, for same reason of overall weakness (Lena Micilek SP?). She didn't especially like the trigger finger position but I think she will work on the Grauffel push pull thing.

I'm interested in this topic but this video on Grauffel's grip was removed from Youtube. Is there anywhere else that this video can be watched?

Or if not, would anyone be able to explain the important points of his grip technique? Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dremel Customs View Post
    I'm interested in this topic but this video on Grauffel's grip was removed from Youtube. Is there anywhere else that this video can be watched?

Or if not, would anyone be able to explain the important points of his grip technique? Thanks
    Darn it, I had saved that link to study in detail but had not yet gotten around to it.

My wife has been using the Grauffel grip for a month now. She feels like it has really helped her. No data to prove that but I think a simple boost in confidence is worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    My wife has been using the Grauffel grip for a month now. She feels like it has really helped her. No data to prove that but I think a simple boost in confidence is worth while.
    @CraigS could you please explain the Grauffel grip the way you understand it? Would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    CraigS, would you be able to explain the Grauffel grip the way you understand it? Would be much appreciated

From what I can get the main thing is that the support hand fingers are shaped into a hook. That shape isn't much different than a standard grip but, in a standard grip you then squeaze/crush. For me a standard grip gives me a fore/aft crush w/ my strong hand and a left/right crush w/ my weak hand. In the Grauffel, the strong hand arm is pushed out and locked. The weak hand hooked fingers are used to pull back against the strong arm/hand. Obviously there is some amount of finger strength used but the majority of the grip strength is done by the shoulder muscles. The first time my wife was trying it, no firing, just holding the gun out lined up w/ the target, I suggested hold the grip for 20 seconds. When she relaxed I asked if she felt any muscle soreness. Yeah, in my shoulders. My understanding is that even someone built like JJ Recaza, used to wear out his hand/finger muscles since he shoots so much. Shoulders are stronger, fingers get a break, and his shooting got better. Over the last year we have realized that her hand strength isn't much. To the point that she now hits the mag release w/ her weak hand thumb because she is 100% that way vs maybe 75% w/ her strong hand thumb. She had tried the weak hand index finger on front of the trigger guard like Lena Micilek uses to control recoil. Felt very awkward to her so after maybe 30rnds she quit that. She likes the Grauffel.

Thank you very much Craig.

To add to this discussion, I don't know if Hwansik Kim is using exactly the same grip technique that Eric Grauffel is but Hwansik said in an interview some years back that he doesn't apply any side-to-side force to the grip (12:55 to 14:30 in the video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBd3ColVJ0

I've been trying to improve my grip for awhile and I feel the problem has always been my support hand not being able to clamp down hard enough. I've explored different tractions and methods and all seemed to work only so-so. The clamping style of conventional grips all seem to require vogel-esque grip strength or resulted in premature slide lock from being up too high and forward. I appreciate this thread it has introduced me to other methods that don't require that kind of hand strength.

However....I just found the vid on youtube of Seeklander's grip. I tried it and its the first time I've ever felt my support hand not just clamping but actually pushing on the back of the grip with the palms together the way I hear everyone say it is supposed to happen. I have no idea if this will work in live fire but it is the best way I've heard on how to apply pressure. It's worth the 49 second vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TDZIFrPGuo
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 09-11-2023 at 10:32 PM.

User Tag List