Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The grip -- Grauffel

@GJM
    Does the support hand finger hooking the trigger guard help straighten the support hand risk? That seems to be what I see. I listened a few times and they didn't seem to call that out specifically.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Interesting video. I wonder how Grauffel manages upper body tension with regard to target transitions. My current stage in The Journey is spending a lot of focus on miminizing upper body/shoulder tension.

Concerning support hand wrist camming: I moved away from a Volgel style cammed wrist to an Enos/Stoeger style neutral wrist angle years ago. Based on my experience I gain nothing from camming the wrist yet with a neutral wrist I can crush harder with my support hand with less effort. I also feel like a neutral wrist angle works better across various platforms where the cammed angle is narrowly suited to plastic guns especially Glocks. I see most normal people (not Vogel and the small group of built like him) drawn to a cammed wrist have not found the benefit of driving the meat at the base of the support hand thumb into and slightly behind the back edge of the frame.

Yes, the index finger goes naturally on the trigger guard for me with the wrist straight. Interestingly, what started me experimenting with the finger on the trigger guard was pain from an injury to my support hand wrist. Two additional things I got out of the Grauffel video are extending the strong arm as part of the "push" part and the way he grips straight back with his support hand to "pull" in opposition to the push.

Hwansik Kim has discussed a natural, as opposed to a cam'd wrist for a while, both to avoid injury and to apply more support hand grip strength.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, the index finger goes naturally on the trigger guard for me with the wrist straight. Interestingly, what started me experimenting with the finger on the trigger guard was pain from an injury to my support hand wrist. Two additional things I got out of the Grauffel video are extending the strong arm as part of the "push" part and the way he grips straight back with his support hand to "pull" in opposition to the push.

Hwansik Kim has discussed a natural, as opposed to a cam'd wrist for a while, both to avoid injury and to apply more support hand grip strength.
    I recall that. I didn’t put much stock in it at the time. Lol
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LukeNCMX View Post
    Interesting video. I wonder how Grauffel manages upper body tension with regard to target transitions. My current stage in The Journey is spending a lot of focus on miminizing upper body/shoulder tension.

Concerning support hand wrist camming: I moved away from a Volgel style cammed wrist to an Enos/Stoeger style neutral wrist angle years ago. Based on my experience I gain nothing from camming the wrist yet with a neutral wrist I can crush harder with my support hand with less effort. I also feel like a neutral wrist angle works better across various platforms where the cammed angle is narrowly suited to plastic guns especially Glocks. I see most normal people (not Vogel and the small group of built like him) drawn to a cammed wrist have not found the benefit of driving the meat at the base of the support hand thumb into and slightly behind the back edge of the frame.
    I feel like the finger on the trigger guard helps my transitions, especially with a heavy gun. The high finger gives me more leverage to move the gun laterally.

@JCN turned me on to a neutral style grip similar to Grauffel awhile back and it’s helped both with dot tracking consistency and reduced injuries.

When I was doing crush grip I was getting tendon and ligament issues in my hands, forearms and elbows. The neutral grip with only front and back pressure is less taxing and I can dry practice for 45 mins now with no pain.

Also the dot tracks more up and down than it ever has.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Here’s a good consolidation of interviews and videos on this approach to the grip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBd3ColVJ0

@GJM

Regarding this Eric G approach, with the position the dominant hand/arm take, any observations about how that impact acquiring the dot at index? It sort of strikes me as it might be a more repeatable index or more resilient index for hitting that dot vs modern ISO.

???

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    @GJM

Regarding this Eric G approach, with the position the dominant hand/arm take, any observations about how that impact acquiring the dot at index? It sort of strikes me as it might be a more repeatable index or more resilient index for hitting that dot vs modern ISO.

???
    I am not sure there is any magic to a particular approach in finding the dot, assuming you have put in the reps. In theory, if you find your dot primarily with vision, the drop it in from above method may get you sight of the dot sooner. If you acquire the dot through index, the straight dominant arm should help you point at your target easier.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure there is any magic to a particular approach in finding the dot, assuming you have put in the reps. In theory, if you find your dot primarily with vision, the drop it in from above method may get you sight of the dot sooner. If you acquire the dot through index, the straight dominant arm should help you point at your target easier.
    I'm not sure how E.G. correct I'm experimenting but the dominant arm seems to behave a little more like your recommended SHO straight arm which seems to snap the dot into view.

User Tag List