Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Damage from AIWB?

@Gun Mutt were the holsters kydex or leather?

Is the hot spot from the muzzle digging or the top of the gun / sweatguard?

Perhaps our physicians could chime in, but I don't think it's possible for a holster to cause a hernia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The main point of interest for me in this thread, is the hidebound adherence to a mode of carry that seems to be causing physical degradation, and the near pathological resistance to giving it up. I've carried a gun for over thirty years, in nearly every position and mode as the situation required. Whether those requirements were situational, physical, etc. I've never experienced a knashing of teeth, or clutching of pearls over any of it.

One shouldn't become a slave to the tactics.
    If what you're doing hurts, stop doing it. There's always a compromise in concealed carry: size, draw, comfort, security. Yesterday I could not afford to print at all, so I had an LCP in my pocket. Today, I have to move around a lot so the 92 will be IWB (more comfortable than AIWB). If I have to drive a long distance, I carry in the console until I exit the vehicle.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I believe Dave Spaulding has written that he can no longer carry IWB due to some problem arising from decades of IWB carry. I generally switch to OWB seasonally in hopes of preventing something similar happening

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Gun Mutt were the holsters kydex or leather?

Is the hot spot from the muzzle digging or the top of the gun / sweatguard?
    Kydex and at the muzzle. I tried pretty much every variation of pad that's offered and most of them made AIWB even less comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Kydex and at the muzzle. I tried pretty much every variation of pad that's offered and most of them made AIWB even less comfortable for me.
    I get the same discomfort and have taken to using higher ride holster, short muzzle guns (like P365) and hybrid holsters with a nice, wide leather pad that distributes the muzzle poke. I think body and gut dimensions can also make people's experiences different too.

When people talk about muzzle length not being an issue with AIWB, that hasn't been my experience. Even going to a P365XL, I can feel the increase in discomfort.

I am transitioning back to leather holsters because kydex against the skin causes hot spots that get raw feeling that lasts a few days. Undergarments aren't always feasible and adding backer like mole skin only prolongs the inevitable. It is easier just to get quality leather than try to find a way to make kydex work.

On the topic of repetitive injuries, I had to quit wearing my Seiko Monster dive watches. When I would wear one for a few days, I would end up with a knotted muscle under my shoulder blade. When tis would happen, I would go back to my smaller field watch and the knot would work its way out after a while. I tried strengthening those muscle in the gym, I never got to where those heavy watches didn't cause an issue. I no longer wear any type of watch.

Thanks, Gun Mutt, for sharing this with us.

Edited to add: I have never gone full-AIWB, with the loops on the trousers’ belt, as the primary means to tote a serious-sized handgun, so, am less likely to develop a serious issue, but this is good to know, and take under advisement. I reckon that the discomfort factor may have saved me. When moving about, in the standing position, using AIWB carry, longer handguns have been more comfortable, but, when sitting, it has always been better if the barrel/slide dimension has been relatively short. As I aged into my fifties, the ideal “natural” carry angle, to tolerate a weapon at AIWB, started needing to be much more raked, muzzle forward, to the degree what concealment was compromised, by the grip poking against the cover garment.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-23-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I get the same discomfort and have taken to using higher ride holster, short muzzle guns (like P365) and hybrid holsters with a nice, wide leather pad that distributes the muzzle poke. I think body and gut dimensions can also make people's experiences different too.
    I really like Mack's leather holster pad. It makes my LCR in a Philster City Slicker more comfortable (for a few hours) without adding bulk. I tried it on my edc JMack IWB#3 and really like it on there, too. I need to order another one before I log off for the day.

Site Supporter
    My holsters are JMCK AIWB for WML's. I have found that using a Mastermind Pillow and wearing the holster edge at 12 0'clock helps comfort. I also wear relaxed fit pants whenever possible as they seem to not press the muzzle into me as much as regular fit pants.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

My most comfortable AIWB setup

Name:  07C06E46-6BBD-44FA-BFE4-798131E4792C.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  44.4 KB

Nice wide pad.

Name:  D86792E1-7A7E-453A-8797-2F13AC133649.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  51.7 KB

User Tag List