Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you guys or girls roll your own ammo here?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'm at $120 / case for 9mm, with jacketed bullets and VV powder.
    That's where I'm at shooting PD 124 JHPs and VV also.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    That's where I'm at shooting PD 124 JHPs and VV also.
    Why not lead? I'm paying less than $60/thou for 124g LTCs that are moly coated. Fairly accurate too. And easy on the bbl.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    Why not lead?
    I want to limit my lead exposure. I'm shooting TMJ/CMJ bullets from MG.

I want to limit my lead exposure. I'm shooting TMJ/CMJ bullets from MG.
    You'll get more lead from the lead styphnate in the primer. Very little of the bullet is vaporized. And using moly coated bullets (Precision Bullets is my fav) all but eliminates that.

Site Supporter
    You'll get more lead from the lead styphnate in the primer.
    I don't disagree. But, the bullet choice is an easy variable that I can control, primers are much harder. Plus, I can shoot it in any barrel, like Glocks, without buildup concerns.

Plus, I can shoot it in any barrel, like Glocks, without buildup concerns.
    Oh yeah. Forgot that angle.

Chris, yes. Lead. When I want top quality, I go to Laser Cast or Precision Bullets. When I want good practice, I go to a local guy so I don't pay shipping. His is good stuff dimensionally, but we have a disagreement concerning hardness.

Just read Tamara's blog post that implied every time Barry opens his mouth and says the word "guns" there is a potential ammo shortage.

Food for thought: 1k of 45s cost me $130, and 1k of 9mm is roughly $70. Bit of cost savings there...
    I shoot more 9mm but if you use lead for the .45 and .40 cals and they handle lead just fine in my experience it costs about the same as 9mm with jacketed bullets.
    For example my 45 acp load is 5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain Lead semi SWC bullet that costs about $80 a 1000. My 9mm loads is 4 grains of Tightgroup under a 124 grain JHP from Montana Gold that costs about $80 a 1000 if you buy in bulk. Primers are the same cost around here. So its a wash.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I shoot more 9mm but if you use lead for the .45 and .40 cals and they handle lead just fine in my experience it costs about the same as 9mm with jacketed bullets.
    For example my 45 acp load is 5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain Lead semi SWC bullet that costs about $80 a 1000. My 9mm loads is 4 grains of Tightgroup under a 124 grain JHP from Montana Gold that costs about $80 a 1000 if you buy in bulk. Primers are the same cost around here. So its a wash.
    Pat
    That is about what it is for me.

I got a good deal on 200 gr. 45 lead RNFP earlier this year, $50 per 1K. I had to buy 5K to get that price but if you figure another $30 for primers and powder then I am about $80 per 1K for a complete round.

The problem is that I have been shooting 9mm all year but I can always go back to 45 if things start to dry up.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I DO I DO!

I run a 550 and load 9mm and 45. I make "45 minor" with 180g LSWC and 4.6g AA#2. Using a reduced recoil spring in my full size MP45 I run it in Production. Both my 9mm and .45 loads run about $110 per thousand, and both group less than 2" at 25 yards with cast or moly. I do about 400 rounds an hour on the Dillon.

I have two 650s, one for 9 and one for .45.

I shoot 9 Major and used to do some lighter practice loads for the girl shooter in the house. The .45 solely goes to feed my Tommygun. Still get all the 9mm NATO, 556, and 762 I have time to shoot paid for by you good tax paying citizens.

Thank you.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List