Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optic Guard for Red Dots

Optic Guard for Red Dots

If this information has already been posted or discussed, I apologize for the redundancy. Thought it was interesting.

https://www.opticgard.com/

Bought one for shits and grins to throw on my warrant gun. Still fits a Safariland holster and makes the brightness buttons a little tougher to bump. My 10-8 BUIS (which are only on there for policy) are now unusable, but that doesn’t really concern me. A Tenicor Velo bumps it off the optic though. $25 experiment, so if I don’t like it, I’ll just throw it on my USPSA gun.

Name:  9E350E0F-3EC6-4C45-A897-6B9B1EF9F372.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  21.6 KB
    Name:  96478F08-38B5-4A2A-BAA3-546DA45807E2.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  27.1 KB

Bought one for training occluded dot and preventing double dot glare at the range, will be interested to try it out next week

Bought one in red, just to see how it would perform. Shot about a hundred rounds with this on my SRO equipped USPSA VP9L.

My initial impression is positive, it is well-designed and well-executed. Material is a high durometer urethane, so it should help protect from dings or perhaps even a drop. (I don't intend to find out.).

Fits the SRO perfectly, the locking pins secure it to the optic well, but it is still easily removed if you want to take it off. Doesn't budge in recoil and is quite low mass.

Because it does have a bit of thickness, it does render the BUIS useless, which on a game gun is not a particularly big deal, but there's no way I would use this on a carry gun. It doesn't interfere with target acquisition, for me the slightly thicker resulting frame is no big deal if you're target focused, and it doesn't really encroach any more on the ejection port area than the SRO already has the potential of doing.

However, some people may find it might thicken the SRO frame in a way they might have an issue with.

The included occluder works fine for occluded training, and the occluder can be installed or removed in seconds. I imagine it will be easy to lose when not being used, if you don't keep it in the plastic bag that packages the thing.

There is no weather protection with this - it's not going to have the same utility as one of those Dream Plastics rubber or Range Panda 3D printed covers for keeping schmutz off the optic between stages. It should be regarded strictly as an impact protector.

The protector itself, without the occluder, does absolutely nothing regarding low sun effects on the SRO as there is absolutely no overhang over the emitter window. On the other hand, it doesn't interfere with the operation of the SRO at all, and I found the button operation to be unimpeded.

I'm picking up a couple more but will stick with black. The red is, as expected, a dull color (due to the material) and I can imagine it might be slightly distracting to some in full sunlight, but it's easy enough to fix with a Sharpie.

Question How's it going so far?

Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    Bought one for shits and grins to throw on my warrant gun. Still fits a Safariland holster and makes the brightness buttons a little tougher to bump. My 10-8 BUIS (which are only on there for policy) are now unusable, but that doesn’t really concern me. A Tenicor Velo bumps it off the optic though. $25 experiment, so if I don’t like it, I’ll just throw it on my USPSA gun.

Name:  9E350E0F-3EC6-4C45-A897-6B9B1EF9F372.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  21.6 KB
    Name:  96478F08-38B5-4A2A-BAA3-546DA45807E2.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  27.1 KB
    So how do you like it????
    Thank you for being the best part of Team OpticGard™
    sales@opticgard.com
    Toll Free: 1-877-580-9880
    Direct Office: (626)869-0717 ext.114

Question How's it going?

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Bought one for training occluded dot and preventing double dot glare at the range, will be interested to try it out next week
    Did you have a chance to try it out?
    sales@opticgard.com

Cool Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    If this information has already been posted or discussed, I apologize for the redundancy. Thought it was interesting.

https://www.opticgard.com/
    We Appreciate you dropping us in the forum.
    sales@opticgard.com

Quote Originally Posted by OpticGard View Post
    We Appreciate you dropping us in the forum.
    My pleasure! Welcome to the forum!

I have one here to fit an RMR, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by OpticGard View Post
    Did you have a chance to try it out?
    I did today, it worked great. No complaints

User Tag List