Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: “Top shot” officer sues LAPD over social media demand

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Having met and worked with Toni before, I will say she is a nice down-to-earth girl and not the type of person whom I would think would sue LAPD.
    She is very close to her father, who is well respected amongst his peers and long serving cop who is also one of the heads of the LAPD union. He is known as well as a extremely vocal opponent towards the city and it's politicians.

I am almost certain that he is behind this lawsuit as a means to punish and get even with the people who are running the city and the organization into the ground.
    I also highly doubt that at the conclusion of the lawsuit if she does in fact win a settlement that she would care to seek out another LE job.
    Based on every douchebag chief and local politician I've ever met, I'd bet admin has had her targeted from day one. There's no better way to fuck someone (her dad) than by fucking their kid (at least that's how douchebags think). If she wants to work in LE, she should go wherever LAPD can't reach.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    I also highly doubt that at the conclusion of the lawsuit if she does in fact win a settlement that she would care to seek out another LE job.

If I won a $5 million settlement, I wouldn't be a cop anywhere either.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Well, she wouldn't net the whole amount, but yeah...

This thread forced me to extend my prior research into her online posting attire (not exactly an arduous task...), and I would think it is pretty reasonable for someone her age that is, dare I say, as hot as she is. And I am sure there are other hot young officers that do stuff like Cross Fit and Tough Mudder that post pictures wearing much less, that were never told "or I will ruin your career". I am sure her dad has been on the shitlist for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And also, I'd bet plenty of money that LAPD settles out of court and Officer McBride is just Toni McBride Gunstagram Influencer within the next 24-months.
    I agree, except I would think that since lives in near Hollywood, is pleasant to look at, knows gun handling, and hangs out at the range with people like Michelle Rodríguez and Keanu Reeves she will probably end up with some kinda movie role or advisor opportunities.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    THIS^
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

She's asking for $5M, but any settlement will be smaller (probably much smaller) than that, unless the city thinks a jury would actually award more than $5M at trial.

Add to that, awards for damages based on lost wages are taxable in CA, and for federal taxes, although damage awards for medical/physical injury are not. So depending on how the claim, and any settlement, or trial award, are structured, she could owe a huge tax bill.

Also, someone who retires in their late 50s or early sixties, who doesn't have a pension, might be able maintain their lifestyle by withdrawing 3-4% from their investments, if they have a low to mid 7 figure sum from which to draw. Someone in their 20s is going to need to withdraw a much smaller percentage to make those investments last for an additional three decades. Things like paying out of pocket for medical expenses, or medical insurance outside an employers group plan, also make it more expensive than being employed, and participating in a group medical plan.

All that to say, while it might be a sizeable financial windfall, she's unlikely to end up with what a friend of mine calls "FTW" money, and will probably have to generate additional income, if she wants to maintain her current lifestyle for the next 50 to 60 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    She's asking for $5M, but any settlement will be smaller (probably much smaller) than that, unless the city thinks a jury would actually award more than $5M at trial.

Add to that, awards for damages based on lost wages are taxable in CA, and for federal taxes, although damage awards for medical/physical injury are not. So depending on how the claim, and any settlement, or trial award, are structured, she could owe a huge tax bill.

Also, someone who retires in their late 50s or early sixties, who doesn't have a pension, might be able maintain their lifestyle by withdrawing 3-4% from their investments, if they have a low to mid 7 figure sum from which to draw. Someone in their 20s is going to need to withdraw a much smaller percentage to make those investments last for an additional three decades. Things like paying out of pocket for medical expenses, or medical insurance outside an employers group plan, also make it more expensive than being employed, and participating in a group medical plan.

All that to say, while it might be a sizeable financial windfall, she's unlikely to end up with what a friend of mine calls "FTW" money, and will probably have to generate additional income, if she wants to maintain her current lifestyle for the next 50 to 60 years.
    I don't think any of us believe we could live off what we netted from the settlement...we're just saying we wouldn't be humping a gunbelt anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Totally agree with most of this. Suing someone or some e Tito for $5M rarely means what people think it does.

That said, she’s young, willing to do what it takes to have a social media following, married (I presume), and would be able to move anywhere she wanted to with a much lower cost of living.

We had some friends in Ft. Lauderdale that moved to the ozarks or some shit. Managed to sell their house with enough equity and an esop payout they got when her company sold and they are living (rather well, it appears) solely off his federal disability check. Near as I can tell nobody is working and they bought some giant house for cash.

Granted, a disability check is different than living off whatever remains of a settlement, but the point being that some alternative income streams that don’t dictate where one lives and you can move to a much cheaper area and do just fine if you get enough windfall to simply buy the dwelling outright. Takes a lot of the pressure off (even though most financial advisors will tell you it’s dumb).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List