Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “Top shot” officer sues LAPD over social media demand

I like Toni, but I'm somewhat unsympathetic in this instance. I feel like if you're going to be a cop you need to be a cop and not an influencer. This is an opinion I hold about people regardless of gender. Just on the .mil side we've had guys careers get hemmed up because of some dumb shit they post on their social media for clout. There's a point where you kind of have to pick between one or the other.

This is awful.
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    And they wonder why it’s getting hard to recruit and retain good people?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I like Toni, but I'm somewhat unsympathetic in this instance. I feel like if you're going to be a cop you need to be a cop and not an influencer. This is an opinion I hold about people regardless of gender. Just on the .mil side we've had guys careers get hemmed up because of some dumb shit they post on their social media for clout. There's a point where you kind of have to pick between one or the other.

Agreed

Before the age of social media cancer, we knew there were behaviors you simply didn't engage in, or gave up if you wanted to be a cop.

I don't know Toni, but I see a lot of the typical, "it's all about me" behavior with her situation, which is so indicative of our current culture. Is she a good cop? I don't know, but I do see a lot of less than stellar decisions.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-20-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    True, and this is the main reason I have removed myself from social media (P-F is the closest I get). That said, it has been my observation that the “rules” are seldom applied equally.

My old agency didn't ban social media posting, but it limited speaking publicly about the agency. I never posted anything of any kind, social media or otherwise, on the internet until after I was retired. Aside from any issue with my agency, I thought it potentially provided too much fodder for cross-examination.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    True, and this is the main reason I have removed myself from social media (P-F is the closest I get). That said, it has been my observation that the “rules” are seldom applied equally.
    Oh absolutely. I have no doubt that Chief is a cockbag, since most major metro PD chiefs are cockbags.

If you represent yourself on Social Media as being employed by: XYZ

Then XYZ has the absolute ability to say, "Stop doing shit on social media or consequences."

Now, I suspect there is some dickbaggery going on overall, but the fact of the matter is the above...

Since she has a picture of herself wearing her uniform on her IG page, it's going to be difficult to make the case that being an LAPD Officer wasn't part of the whole social media persona she was curating. In which case, Admin has a right to tell her to knock it the fuck off or get fired.

And maybe the reason they told her to knock it the fuck off is because if you're involved in something like...I dunno a OIS...Your social media presence might have a disproportionate effect on the whole situation making objectivity and PR a nightmare?

I dunno, seems like just a thought.

In my, unprofessional, unpaid, opinion both Officer McBride and Chief Moore lack discretion and have exercised poor judgement. Unfortunately, in doing so they bring further scrutiny to a profession which is under harsh and constant interrogation every day.

I'm going to disagree a bit. I think as long as you don't have any post in reference to your department and don't post things that are stupid, it should be fine. It's a way to generate income for some folks. If I were a personal trainer and a cop I should be allowed to market my training business through social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since she has a picture of herself wearing her uniform on her IG page, it's going to be difficult to make the case that being an LAPD Officer wasn't part of the whole social media persona she was curating. In which case, Admin has a right to tell her to knock it the fuck off or get fired.
    What if other officers are doing similar and have not suffered similar repercussions or received similar requests?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List