Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Jesus had a kaboom

I used to dislike automatic transmissions, but ended up with a couple vehicles that had them due to being the only thing available when I needed a vehicle. I was glad when I broke my foot living 35 miles from town. Twice in 10 years. There were a couple other little mishaps that reinforced the appreciation for automatic transmissions.

The 1860 Henry rifle is interesting in historical context, but Ive never really wanted to own one. Ive seen a number of CAS folks mention having seen or experienced Henry mag mishaps.

One point he didnt mention about the 1866 is its basically impossible to do what he did because theres no way to pull the magazine follower all the way out then let it slam back. The other features mentioned were not really the main reason for safety improvement since thats not possible to do. Definitely improvements, just not really for the reasons mentioned. I confess to having a serious like for the 1866 carbines, I hope to lay hands on one again some day.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I think the bottom line is that with an automatic you might be able to save your life, but would you really want to?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I remember trying to drive my stick on the way home from a technical rock climb where I had separated my shoulder. Man, that hurt.
    I somehow managed to do that on a motorcycle once. Took a low-speed dump and separated my left shoulder and decided riding 75-80 miles home like that was do-able and preferable to admitting I'd f'd up and asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I somehow managed to do that on a motorcycle once. Took a low-speed dump and separated my left shoulder and decided riding 75-80 miles home like that was do-able and preferable to admitting I'd f'd up and asking for help.
    I hadn't fucked up, but I did have a "trick" shoulder from an injury years earlier so that it would occasionally pop out at the least advantageous times.

What I actually had was probably more accurately a dislocation, which I learned from experience to pop in myself when necessary. Even when climbing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I have no idea. It's quite possibly that, or broken glass, or cut open beer can or broken seashell, or something else sharp

I was just entering the water, I didn't see anything at my feet, felt something weird under my foot, walked out and saw that the sand was getting very red.

Inquiring about what had happened was a much lower priority than getting this treated. :-)
    Take a step back and visit Margaritaville for a few minutes…

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think the bottom line is that with an automatic you might be able to save your life, but would you really want to?

Do you mean "Is life really worth living if you have to drive an automatic transmission?"
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Do you mean "Is life really worth living if you have to drive an automatic transmission?"
    Yes, but it's a rhetorical question because obviously the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Please Universe, don't take Gun Jesus from us.
    Can we get a like button so I don't have to quote just to add my praise for this comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Can we get a like button so I don't have to quote just to add my praise for this comment?
    Ummm.....

Name:  Screenshot_20230420-144122-099.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  36.0 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I remember trying to drive my stick on the way home from a technical rock climb where I had separated my shoulder. Man, that hurt.
    I blew my knee in a football game and had to drive home from the fieldhouse in my manual truck. I managed to get it rolling in 2nd gear and just kept going at 25mph the entire way home :P

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List