Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Auto Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    Just as a point of reference - I know that the OP has moved on / is working with the new .38/.357 revolver he got - but this is at my local LGS. Been there for 3
    months. Being somewhat ignorant of the S&W eco-system and .45 ACP revolvers … not sure if it is the price or the model that has left it an orphan for so long!

Attachment 104075
    Attachment 104076
    I have a few questions.

1. What's the finish? It looks like nickel plate. If so, then are the hammer and trigger still case-hardened or have they also been plated?

2. Where is the lettering of the barrel? It should almost always centered except on some 8 3/8" guns where it was closer to the frame. If it's closer to the muzzle than the frame, then the barrel has almost certainly been cut.

3. What's up with the front sight? It looks like a normal half-moon sight on a 4" barrel, which is odd. Usually people would cut off the front of the barrel, then replaced the front sight with some hillbilly monstrosity. But this one looks like the original sight has either been removed and replaced unmolested, which takes a fair amount of expertise, or it came that way from the factory. If it's factory, then sky's the limit on value.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have a few questions.

1. What's the finish? It looks like nickel plate. If so, then are the hammer and trigger still case-hardened or have they also been plated?

2. Where is the lettering of the barrel? It should almost always centered except on some 8 3/8" guns where it was closer to the frame. If it's closer to the muzzle than the frame, then the barrel has almost certainly been cut.

3. What's up with the front sight? It looks like a normal half-moon sight on a 4" barrel, which is odd. Usually people would cut off the front of the barrel, then replaced the front sight with some hillbilly monstrosity. But this one looks like the original sight has either been removed and replaced unmolested, which takes a fair amount of expertise, or it came that way from the factory. If it's factory, then sky's the limit on value.

Okie John
    I will pop back in the shop sometime and ask. Have not even asked to see it outside the case … I am partial to 45LC.

I do know it is nickel plated.

I cannot see any lettering on the barrel … I will ask to see it next time I am in it.

The front sight is what stood out to me as well. It reminded me of the Thunder Ranch revolvers that came out a bit ago. It does look factory / well done.

If the group thinks it warrants further inspection I will look at it !

JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For an altered M1917, that’s mighty pricey.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Question:
    Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of how reliable Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans in .454 are that have been cut to accept .45 ACP moonclips by TK Customs?

They offer the service of machining the cylinder to take .45 ACP here: https://tkcustom.com/pages/machining-ruger

I imagine a Super Redhawk Alaskan shooting .45 ACP would never wear out, even with higher pressure loadings. Downside is, it's only a 2.5" barrel, though, so I'm not sure how viable modern .45 ACP expanding loads would be out of that. Also I do remember @BehindBlueI's mentioning that .45 ACP on moonclips takes more force from the hammer to reliably detonate the primer compared to conventional rimmed revolver cartridges.

Even with the Ruger Compact Grips it would be a large beast, but if it's reliable, it would fill my burning desire for a .45 ACP double action revolver. Only thing else that sucks is that it can't shoot .45 ACP right out of the box. Other options are the myriad of vintage S&W Model 25-2's on GunsInternational (though I wonder how viable that is to keep running if it ever needs any work or parts), a 625 of some sort, or finding a 2010's production Model 22 with the infernal lock.

I've got a Ruger single action with the 45LC and .45acp cylinders. It's a fun gun that I enjoy shooting. Got the dual caliber model for flexibility with ammo related to availability. I don't reload or use moon clips so I can't address those topics.

Have you considered a 44 magnum or 44 special? Since you reload, I imagine you could come up with a sweet load or two that is super accurate. I guess my hang up is moon clips. Like I said I've never used them, I just would prefer a revolver that uses a speedloader. Just my bias showing, that's all. I had speedloaders on my duty belt way back in the day when drop pouches were SOP. Don't know the model number, but the two I had were Safariland. Twist the knob to lock the ammo in. When inserting the rounds into the cylinder, the center pin of the cylinder would automatically release the rounds. I liked that because you didn't have to think to twist the knob to release the ammo.

PS: I was a flashlight snob in my LE days. Pretty much D-cells ruled the day. Most guys used whatever was issued to them. I eventually bought a Streamlight with car charger. Man, that lit up the night. A good flashlight is just as essential as one's sidearm. When I look at On Patrol Live I am so thankful that those who serve today have such effective flashlights.
    Last edited by JAH 3rd; 05-12-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I've got a Ruger single action with the 45LC and .45acp cylinders. It's a fun gun that I enjoy shooting. Got the dual caliber model for flexibility with ammo related to availability. I don't reload or use moon clips so I can't address those topics.

Have you considered a 44 magnum or 44 special? Since you reload, I imagine you could come up with a sweet load or two that is super accurate. I guess my hang up is moon clips. Like I said I've never used them, I just would prefer a revolver that uses a speedloader. Just my bias showing, that's all. I had speedloaders on my duty belt way back in the day when drop pouches were SOP. Don't know the model number, but the two I had were Safariland. Twist the knob to lock the ammo in. When inserting the rounds into the cylinder, the center pin of the cylinder would automatically release the rounds. I liked that because you didn't have to think to twist the knob to release the ammo.
    I like the idea of a .44 mag/spcl double action, but it seems like CCW defensive loadings and projectiles that perform as well as modern duty pistol loads are scarce to non existent. And I do like having some factory ammo availability which is part of what draws me to .45 Auto.

Yes, the 45 auto bullet selection is greatly improved from decades ago. It does flexibility in one's choices. Let us know what you end up deciding on.

In 44 Specail both Underwood and Buffalo Bore make really good self defense loads.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Question:
    Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of how reliable Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans in .454 are that have been cut to accept .45 ACP moonclips by TK Customs?

They offer the service of machining the cylinder to take .45 ACP here: https://tkcustom.com/pages/machining-ruger

I imagine a Super Redhawk Alaskan shooting .45 ACP would never wear out, even with higher pressure loadings. Downside is, it's only a 2.5" barrel, though, so I'm not sure how viable modern .45 ACP expanding loads would be out of that. Also I do remember @BehindBlueI's mentioning that .45 ACP on moonclips takes more force from the hammer to reliably detonate the primer compared to conventional rimmed revolver cartridges.

Even with the Ruger Compact Grips it would be a large beast, but if it's reliable, it would fill my burning desire for a .45 ACP double action revolver. Only thing else that sucks is that it can't shoot .45 ACP right out of the box. Other options are the myriad of vintage S&W Model 25-2's on GunsInternational (though I wonder how viable that is to keep running if it ever needs any work or parts), a 625 of some sort, or finding a 2010's production Model 22 with the infernal lock.
    Myself and one YouTuber has found .45acp rounds extremely slow in .45 colt guns. I think it has to do with the slightly larger chamber. Iirc I'm getting 200fps less with .45acp in my 4" 625 than in my 5" 1911.

With a 2.5" barrel I'd guess it would be another 100fps slower.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Myself and one YouTuber has found .45acp rounds extremely slow in .45 colt guns. I think it has to do with the slightly larger chamber. Iirc I'm getting 200fps less with .45acp in my 4" 625 than in my 5" 1911.

With a 2.5" barrel I'd guess it would be another 100fps slower.
    So most likely not a reliable expander out of a 2.5” Alaskan. Bummer.

User Tag List