Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Auto Revolver

Best .45 Auto Revolver

I'm on a bit of a revolver kick right now. I have a lot of .45 Auto ammo and reloading components, and I really like the idea of a double action, defense-oriented .45 Auto revolver. Unfortunately there are very few choices and it looks like I'm going to have to buy one second hand, though I really would prefer NOS/Unfired condition. It looks like my choices are:

-S&W Model 22 (either original production or one of the newer repros that are also no longer in production AFAIK)
    -S&W 625 (Also out of production, and I'm iffy on the QC on the 625's made most recently given S&W's current QC problems)
    -S&W Model 25: Again, old production, and would need to find one in .45 Auto rather than .45 Colt
    -S&W Governor: Frankly, not interested due to size, shape, and current QC of S&W
    -Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/Auto: I really, really like the idea of this, but IIRC these have always had reliability issues. I'm not even sure Ruger makes them anymore.

I see a few NOS Model 22's and 25's on Gunbroker, however they only take checks/money orders and in this day and age I do not feel comfortable mailing that amount of money in the postal system.

Are there any choices I'm not aware of or forgot about? Is it crazy for me to consider getting a 6-shot .45 Auto revolver for carry when I have capable, higher capacity autoloaders in the same caliber? Should I just stick with .357/.38 for my revolver cartridge and get another GP100 7-shot like I was planning?

I feel that in many self defense situations, the revolver may offer some reliability advantages concerning poor grip, something coming in contact with the slide while cycling, shooting within a vehicle (as DB notes, many auto malfunctions happen inside vehicles while shooting in "space"), etc. Not to mention going to ban states.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 04-18-2023 at 12:38 PM.

I’m no fan of rimless cartridges in revolvers, so I’d go GP-100 of the choices you mentioned.

There’s a nest of 625 guys on S&W Forums. They know all the tricks and liabilities.

gunbroker.com will eventually yield a pre-lock 625 that’s local to you. Definitely get something with adjustable sights—the cartridge is versatile enough to merit them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Gun writer Mike Venturino claimed the 45 ACP as his favorite revolver cartridge. I'm not too far from there as I believe a 45 ACP revolver loaded with Moonclips provides the fastest reload in the revolver world. Even with JHPs the rounded shoulders just drop into those big chambers like they're going home.

Sadly none of the offerings that make a good carry gun are widely available anymore. Smith has ceased production on every decent one they've made. If you are serious about actually carrying on your person grab your wallet and look for a used/second hand 325 Night Guard. Another possibility is the 325 PD, although I personally don't like the Titanium cylinder. On the heavier side there is the pre-lock 625 3". I don't believe they had the QC problems that S&W is known for today.

I'm having a fun 45 ACP revolver built by a gunsmith friend, based on the 1937 Brazilian S&W. He has cut the original 5.5" barrel down to 3.5", added a ramp and visible front sight. The sample gun was someone's attempt to build a target gun so the top strap was cut for a S&W adjustable rear sight. My guy has made a custom fixed rear sight that fills the milled out top strap. It's getting a finish added as we speak. I'll get some pictures posted, along with a range report when it's done. Not sure if my busted up self can carry that weight anymore but we shall see. (smile)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Gun writer Mike Venturino claimed the 45 ACP as his favorite revolver cartridge
    .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim

The Best Ever Revolver Cartridge! - American Handgunner
    https://americanhandgunner.com/handg...ver-cartridge/

I have a 625-8 JM, probably about 17 years old. The quality isn't the same as my earlier S&W's but it works just fine.

Issues are reloading for it. I've gone to 200 grn bullets with a crimp groove and use a profile crimp die. That was due to bullet creep and probably worn out field brass. Some people never have a problem with it but I experienced it and solved the problem.

On the plus side you can easily mount a dot on it which I did.

If I had it to do over I'd probably would just buy new AR brass and skip the moon clips.

Now that it's out of production everyone wants one.

That's the only 45 acp revolver I have.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-18-2023 at 02:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m no fan of rimless cartridges in revolvers, so I’d go GP-100 of the choices you mentioned.

There’s a nest of 625 guys on S&W Forums. They know all the tricks and liabilities.

gunbroker.com will eventually yield a pre-lock 625 that’s local to you. Definitely get something with adjustable sights—the cartridge is versatile enough to merit them.

Okie John
    What are the downsides of a rimless cartridge such as .45 Auto in a revolver? Other than needing moonclips or AR brass?

Try to find a S&W 22-4. These guns do not seem to have gotten more expensive after being discontinued.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    Try to find a S&W 22-4. These guns do not seem to have gotten more expensive after being discontinued.
    They might in the future now.

My m625 mg I had milled for moon clips looses a lot of velocity but otherwise is a effin awesome gun. I typically carry it wit .r5 colt 270gr swc at 950fps and 2 moon clips with 230gr HST +p at 800fps.
    Name:  IMG_20230201_141117.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  54.9 KB

Maybe look for a m1917 too . Back when I was looking for my MG I saw a couple 4" m625 with a tapered barrel and ejector rod housing with a spot milled out for $1200 ish. That's what I'd look for.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    On gunbroker I found a nice one but it's $1395 and the seller only accepts mailed checks/money orders. After seeing and experiencing the amount of post-2020 postal thievery I don't feel comfortable sending it physically with no recourse.

User Tag List